Matt Beleskey Appreciation Thread

Jul 22, 2012
He and his agent were greedy and got burned. Now he is on a non-playoff team for under 4 mil.

What? How on earth did he get burned? He got an extra year of guaranteed money. For a player like Beleskey, an extra year is a huge deal. He (more than likely) won't see this type of money on his next contract. Think about it.

Anyway, I wish Beleskey nothing but the best. I hate when people get sour with players for maximizing their earnings. Playing in the NHL is a job, it's not all about the fans/winning.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I don't get why people become so upset when players leave. He was an UFA and it's his right to sign anywhere he wants, for any reasons he wants. Like DVM said, the extra year means millions extra guaranteed money. Plus the NMC and he get a lot closer to home.

I really wish he had stayed though. Always liked him since he was a prospect. Injuries sidetracked him but now we are starting to see the player he could be.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
No movement clause for two years.

Expected expansion draft within two years.

Is it really hard to see why he'd give a discount to a team that was willing to ensure he wouldn't wind up in expansion team hell?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Is it really hard to see why he'd give a discount to a team that was willing to ensure he wouldn't wind up in expansion team hell?

The more I've though about that one, the clearer to me that it's a deal breaker. Given his role and his salary, he's probably both a guy not likely to be protected(at least on this team) and one who would likely be picked if available. Even if he wasn't, this comes close to guaranteeing he won't go to an expansion team. That's probably worth quite a bit to him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
NMC and the fifth year were very important to him it seems. So be it. On one hand I want Boston to stay in free fall, but on the other I'd be upset if people come to see him as a horrible contract.

Good luck and never forget...

J39a51u.jpg

From every Boston reporter I've read they have all said that he wanted to play in Boston and was willing to take less money, Sweeney said the same thing too that both sides wanted this to happen, Boston was after him at the deadline and apparently he had fallen in love with Boston with his wife when they were there on a wedding last summer and felt like that is a place they want to be.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Expansion team hell could be much more tolerable than Boston hell if they don't make the playoffs. Expansion teams have honeymoon periods that would probably last longer than his contract. Boston OTOH, won't tolerate where that team seems headed.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
All the best for Bels! Loved his style and would've liked him back, but the reported offer was generous enough. Hopefully he'll continue where he left off. I can't even be too mad as I think of Boston as my east coast team. Thanks for the years!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad