Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I mean, Nill should be able to play his cards right hopefully and get a read on some UFAs and Zucc and then make the decision. If there is no better options, keep Zucc.. but if you can get someone comparable with better term/money/age.. then go for that guy. But I agree, getting no one can't happen.
I kinda think that if Zucc gets to July 1 without a contract, he's gone.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Yeah, Nill’s just gonna lock him up quickly. Remember last off-season when he was in second place for Paccioretty, Skinner, Karlsson, so on? He’s not doing that again.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Zucc took a discount to play with NYR. If he's happy in Dallas + state tax break, maybe he'd do the same for Dallas. Though he did kind of get burned by taking the discount when the Rangers turned around and thanked him by trading him at the end of the contract. But that's the business which I think he understands and shouldn't jade him to considering it again.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Larry Brooks, the most profiled reporter for the Rangers, suggests that the Rangers and Zucc may reunite. There's a chance they want him back as their next captain.

Of course if Nill comes up with an offer he can't resist there's a chance he signs here. But I think he wants to wait and see what happens after July 1. Term will be the most important for him, along with a no-move-clause.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/08/should-mats-zuccarello-and-the-rangers-reunite/

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Larry Brooks, the most profiled reporter for the Rangers, suggests that the Rangers and Zucc may reunite. There's a chance they want him back as their next captain.

Of course if Nill comes up with an offer he can't resist there's a chance he signs here. But I think he wants to wait and see what happens after July 1. Term will be the most important for him, along with a no-move-clause.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/08/should-mats-zuccarello-and-the-rangers-reunite/

Important to note he also says it's very unlikely and the chances are slim that they'd actually want him back on the contract he likely wants

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Important to note he also says it's very unlikely and the chances are slim that they'd actually want him back on the contract he likely wants

He says it's unlikely if Zuccarello demands too much. Brooks wouldn't even bother writing this article if there's little truth in it.

I'd call it a realistic scenario. Strong bonds there...

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Brooks looking for hits. He seems to be pretty clear that the chances of him landing in NY again are really, really low.

FWIW, Kyper says hes staying in Dallas and was very certain about it.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Option C Islanders of Flyers would make me vomit, I can't possibly see him signing there. Surely he must be of the opinion and both Islanders and Flyers are garbage going-nowhere teams.

BennsGonnaGetYou

Apr 27, 2017
Sweden
Give him close to what he wants and make him stay here, that should be the opinion among all of our fans. I mean players like Zucc are hard to come by. Personally I don't care about his age, he will still deliver what this team needs.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Well, in regards to age issues, it is impossible to say when exactly a player will start to decline, but i think the general consensus is that once you get near 35, its going to go downhill, and giving long contracts to players on the wrong side of 30 (and worse, giving out NTC's at that age), is a very big risk to take (and one to normally be avoided at all costs).

The one "mitigating" factor i can think of for Zucc is that he does not have the "mileage" on his body that homegrown talent would have at that age. He played first in Norway, and then in Sweden (significantly less strenuous than an NHL'esque schedule), and didn't move over to the Rangers until he was 22 or 23 (i dont remember exactly). He then spent his next few years between the AHL and the NHL (he really didn't fit Tortorella's style of "big strong physical players"). He then spent a year in the KHL (under coach Paul Maurice), before returning to the Rangers and becoming a permanent fixture with them.

I'll also note (since it happened first game and all) that Zucc, despite suffering some serious injuries during his time in the NHL (one time got his hand caught in a camera opening in the plexiglass and snapping his wrist, once taking a puck to the head, etc) hasn't, despite playing a fairly "tough" game, really shown any signs of being injury prone. In the 5 seasons with the Rangers prior to this one, he hasn't played less than 77 games per season (77, 78, 81, 80, 80 respectively).

I just thought i'd throw that out there :)

Erebor

Jan 8, 2019
It sounds that Zucc is looking for a 5-year contract.
So I would give him two options:
1) 5 years at 5 million
2) 4 years at 6 million

If he wants more money, go for Eberle or Hayes.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It sounds that Zucc is looking for a 5-year contract.
So I would give him two options:
1) 5 years at 5 million
2) 4 years at 6 million

If he wants more money, go for Eberle or Hayes.
$5 million is only a $500k raise. There's no way he stares down the best contract bargaining position he'll have in his entire career and opt for a minuscule raise.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Zucc should be a no brainer especially if he is willing to sign a 4 year deal. I think I’d do a 5 year deal as well, we likely won’t be a good team in 4 years so an albatross year isn’t the worst thing. Radulov/Zuccarelo is elite (actually elite) on the right wing for the next three seasons.

The 2020 1st will likely be a grinder with high character.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zucc is not in a hurry, there's no reason why he shouldn't wait and test the market.

But I still wouldn't be surprised if he signs here before July 1, the Stars may have succeeded in their charm offensive.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Honestly, I'd sign Zuccarello if they can guarantee that there'd be a better supporting depth cast going forward. Hintz and Dickinson work well with Zuccarello, but there's still flaws with the 5 man unit they keep throwing out there.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Jim Nill makes it clear he wants to sign Zuccarello here and implies he is willing to part with that 2020 1st round pick because of how well Zucc fit in. Just says he's gonna touch base with his representatives and see if there's a deal they can get done and if Zucc wants to stay

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
It's all up to Mats, and I think he fell in love with Dallas.

But I have to say this, if the Rangers actually offer him the captaincy (they have no captain at the moment), I'd be kinda shocked if he says no thanks. He has lots of friends there, and he didn't sell his $3 million Manhattan condo. Could be a sign.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Lotta talk about getting heavier by Nill .

That was mainly directed at the defensive side of things because Johns/Methot/Oleksiak were all injured. Hanzal too of course up front but i hope that they keep pushing for a speed game and don't sign any massive players that can't skate like that.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Some mad shade being thrown at the Rangers front office here. RuPaul would be proud
I don't think the comment has anything to do with the Rangers at all - they gave him his start in the NHL and were his home for half a decade and he left there on great terms.

He was just making a comment about how he felt really welcomed in Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad