Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Well this video kinda makes me question whether or not he actually will go back to New York despite what I just said. I mean he really talks about it as if it's truly over for him there (especially when he talks about looking back on it after his career and how he knew it was gonna be over already last summer). I guess he really doesn't have a clue as to where he will end up I suppose. Could be hoping he gets re-signed here but the Stars may have different plans or wanna see him in more games first.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well this video kinda makes me question whether or not he actually will go back to New York despite what I just said. I mean he really talks about it as if it's truly over for him there (especially when he talks about looking back on it after his career and how he knew it was gonna be over already last summer). I guess he really doesn't have a clue as to where he will end up I suppose. Could be hoping he gets re-signed here but the Stars may have different plans or wanna see him in more games first.

He's 32 soon and he doesn't exactly fit the Rangers timeline . Sure he's beloved and all but does signing him make that much sense for a team on a rebuild ? Time will tell i guess.

Reactions: egelband

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Maybe NYR told him they're not interested in bringing him back in the offseason- similar to what Joe Nieuwendyk did to Modano and Turco.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He's 32 soon and he doesn't exactly fit the Rangers timeline . Sure he's beloved and all but does signing him make that much sense for a team on a rebuild ? Time will tell i guess.

True, but the Rangers are expected to be very active in free agency apparently in on guys like Karlsson and Panarin. Maybe they won't have room for Zuccarello or just want to get a few years younger while trying to have a quick turnaround. They have Kravstov as well coming in next season. I guess they might be just planning to move on and they let him know that.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Maybe NYR told him they're not interested in bringing him back in the offseason- similar to what Joe Nieuwendyk did to Modano and Turco.

Looks like it may be something like that. The fact that he knew it was over this past summer says a lot. He was just waiting all season for it to happen/for the deadline to come

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It sounded like New York refused to budge on their contract offer, hence the seemingly mutual departure.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This is spot on, in my opinion. The Rangers and is fans would love to have him but he’d be more valuable on a team with a better chance for the next three or four years.

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
It sounded like New York refused to budge on their contract offer, hence the seemingly mutual departure.

Right...unless the Rangers offer more he won't go there again.

He seems to love everything about Dallas, calling the last week unbelievable.
But what's interesting is that he won't say if he'd like to sign here or not, will only focus on this season and the playoffs.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Right...unless the Rangers offer more he won't go there again.

He seems to love everything about Dallas, calling the last week unbelievable.
But what's interesting is that he won't say if he'd like to sign here or not, will only focus on this season and the playoffs.

Sounds like he's not really sure yet, but also I kinda feel Nill and co. Aren't sure either. It's probably them that want to wait more than anything. It's too bad he won't get a ton of time with us unless we have a good playoff run cause they won't get a good look at him, but if the team plays as motivated as they did in his first game throughout the time he's in the lineup, I'm sure they will definitely have interest in bringing him back. With how this season has gone and all the drama, bringing in a guy that seems to be loved by everyone he has played with sounds like a pretty good idea

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Zucc´s next contract will be his last big payday. I think he is going for security, more than affection towards NY. And he wants to win. The Rangers will not be a contender the next 2-3 years, and he knows that.

I think Dallas is a good fit for him, and with the opportunity to win the cup and play with players like Seguin, there is a good chance for him signing with Dallas if they want him and gives him a long term contract.

Reactions: Kallio and egelband

MrHockey36

Feb 26, 2019
Murcia , Spain
Zucc wont go back to NYR. He was underpaid for many years, they are rebuilding and they dont have a winning-culture. He understands Dallas has some quality that NYR does not have. And from what I read from the interview NYR is a closed chapter.

"They (Dallas Stars) have been unbelieveable to me since I got here"

"I am excited about the future for this team"
(Mats Zuccarello)

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Looks like it may be something like that. The fact that he knew it was over this past summer says a lot. He was just waiting all season for it to happen/for the deadline to come

Ranger fan coming here in peace. He was expecting it last year as well. When the letter got sent out, Zucc played awful and moped around waiting to get traded. The mental part of the trade deadline took a toll on him, and he couldn't play well with the idea of him or his friends being traded. The deadline passed and his game got back to being what we expected from him - no more fear of being moved. This year was similar with Zucc struggling early. Part of it was injury related, but I believe the mental part of being traded was throwing off his game. Once we sat him down and explained the inevitable was happening, Zucc's performance greatly improved and he was playing at a really high level. He's a great locker room guy, loved by the players, coaching staff and fans. He knew it was happening for a while.

Guffawstev

Apr 26, 2012
While we wait :(

From Norway to Broadway ... Mats Zuccarello has become one of the most beloved New York Rangers for his tenacity and skill on the ice. Learn more about the forward and where he got his start in this full episode of Beginnings.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
From Heika's Q&A:

Was Mats Zuccarello suppose to be a rental for the Stars to make a good run into the playoffs? Or do you see the Stars look and try to sign him long term and make him a key factor for the future?

Heika: A little of both. In a perfect world, Zuccarello would be a good fit, would help the team succeed in the playoffs this season, and then would re-sign. If the Stars saw something they didn't like, they could part ways and consider him a rental. I think they want to re-sign him, so we'll see where all of this goes in the next couple of months. It takes two to make that deal happen, (from same article, different question) and I do think the Stars and Zuccarello will get a chance to study whether they can continue their relationship. Zuccarello will be 32 before the start of next season, so do you offer a four-year extension? A five-year extension? Does he prefer the East Coast? There is a lot to talk out, and a lot to be discovered in the next month or two.

Reactions: Ori

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Seems to be taking it easy, but that's a great sign. Hopefully he is back within the next few weeks.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Jim Nill comments on a Mats Zuccarello contract extension:

Nill said he would not start discussing a contract extension for newly acquired forward Mats Zuccarello until the season ends.

The Stars traded a pair of conditional draft picks last month to pry Zuccarello from the Rangers. Zuccarello currently carries a $4.5 million cap hit and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

"We'll wait until the season's over," Nill said. "Right now, I'm in no rush with any contracts. I want to see how the team finishes, see what the player is. That stuff really kind of happens after the playoffs."

If the Stars re-sign Zuccarello in the offseason, the 2020 third-round pick they traded to New York becomes a 2020 first-round pick.

Stars GM Jim Nill on where Mats Zuccarello extension talks stand, adding Dallas' top prospects to AHL roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad