Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If he does stay here, I wonder if we'll see a jump in his points like we did with Radulov. If so, that'd give us quite the offense.

4 guys who could put up 70 points coupled with our 3 studs on defense should be a winning recipe. But with Dallas, who knows, nothing ever seems to work the way it should.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Also, I'd happily give him 6.5M per for 5 years if I were the GM. Similar to Radulov, a bit higher of a cap hit due to the 2 years since that contract.

There was some talk that he mostly wanted term (~5 years). I don't really see his style aging too poorly, maybe just less physicality as he gets older.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Also, I'd happily give him 6.5M per for 5 years if I were the GM. Similar to Radulov, a bit higher of a cap hit due to the 2 years since that contract.

There was some talk that he mostly wanted term (~5 years). I don't really see his style aging too poorly, maybe just less physicality as he gets older.

The only issue is I could see Nill backing down from signing him because he doesn't want to move that first round pick. He better just get it done. Who cares about the 1st rounder at this point (sucks we gave up the 2nd rounder in 2020 for Methot though so we will have to live with not drafting until the 3rd round)

I'd give Zucc 5 years at $5-5.5m per

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
If you can re-sign him, he's worth it. Even in a cold streak, he still brings a commitment. He doesn't slack off or feel sorry for himself. He understands the commitment you need to win and it's impossible not to love him as a teammate. He could teach current Stars stars (that felt weird to write) a thing about will power. He's the real deal and I think he would LOVE to play with other very skilled players. His star backup in NYR has been very underwhelming (except for Lundqvist , his great friend). He leads the way. He's a gem.

I still can't believe NYR traded him for this. A steal. His PPG would surely increase on a team like Dallas.

Last edited:

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that NYR management wanted that good condition piece because they believe it's very likely that Zucc extends in Dallas.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that NYR management wanted that good condition piece because they believe it's very likely that Zucc extends in Dallas.

I think so too just like Hayes is not staying longer term with the Jets otherwise i think there would've been a re-sign condition and not this odd 4th when Jets win the Cup.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Or maybe Nill was okay with that because it's unlikely they sign him....or maybe he was okay with it because he's okay with giving up a 1st rounder for someone that's not a rental? Oooo so many options but I hope it's the 2nd one. All of this is assuming Zuccarello is even willing to sign here but hopefully he is. Sucks he won't get many games in. If we miss the playoffs then I'm not sure what ends up happening. Gotta re-sign him so you didn't completely waste the picks right?

Also speaking of Hayes, I hope we can sign him or Duchene here too

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
The only issue is I could see Nill backing down from signing him because he doesn't want to move that first round pick. He better just get it done. Who cares about the 1st rounder at this point (sucks we gave up the 2nd rounder in 2020 for Methot though so we will have to live with not drafting until the 3rd round)

I'd give Zucc 5 years at $5-5.5m per

This. Screw that first rounder. Hopefully Nill is thrown the f*** out along with his buddies and Senor Mierda de Caballo.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Or maybe Nill was okay with that because it's unlikely they sign him....or maybe he was okay with it because he's okay with giving up a 1st rounder for someone that's not a rental? Oooo so many options but I hope it's the 2nd one. All of this is assuming Zuccarello is even willing to sign here but hopefully he is. Sucks he won't get many games in. If we miss the playoffs then I'm not sure what ends up happening. Gotta re-sign him so you didn't completely waste the picks right?

Yeah, that's how I see it as well. I think spending 2nd+3rd for less than eight games of Zucc is worse than 1st+2nd for a few years.

Reactions: Kcb12345

serp

Jan 17, 2016

I don't . I think they'll end up bad contracts and i don't think they're that good .

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
You guys realize he's going to be 32 before the start of next season right? and you want to give him 5yrs?

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I would rather NOT give up the 2020 first, unless Nill (and the NHL powers that be) decide that the Stars are going to be a resurgent force for the 19-20 season, but I don't see it happening even with the potential full time additions. Between the 2020 draft being a good one, the upcoming expansion draft for the Bitch Pigeons, and the CBA expiring, there's a lot of potential for shenanigans.

I'd offer him two or three years, tops. A Spezza-like farewell contract.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You guys realize he's going to be 32 before the start of next season right? and you want to give him 5yrs?
He's a Norwegian lemming. He's the Scandinavian Theo Fleury without the dark history and abuse. At that price, he will still be worth it. He took TWO team discounts out of loyalty. Don't compare him to his former contract. If he can't live up to it, he will retire. This guy is the definition of intangibles, disregarding his skill. Not fake Chris Drury ones. He's a beam of light on any team. You will see. When a future HHOF goalie cries when a guy leaves...

He has been surrounded by dysfunctional big management garbage for so long. In a way I'm happy he's out of the NYR mess he still stuck his heart to, because of his loyalty to friendship. In his prime, he would've been a star surrounded by more quality. He still can be. Not just an elite complementary player, he's a borderline line carrier when he's on. I'm so pissed off I have to wait to see him with Seguin and Radulov for so long. He's very special. He has never had that quality. And then Klingberg and Heiskanen? My god.

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
He's a Norwegian lemming. He's the Scandinavian Theo Fleury without the dark history and abuse. At that price, he will still be worth it. He took TWO team discounts out of loyalty. Don't compare him to his former contract. If he can't live up to it, he will retire. This guy is the definition of intangibles, disregarding his skill. Not fake Chris Drury ones. He's a beam of light on any team. You will see. When a future HHOF goalie cries when a guy leaves...

He has been surrounded by dysfunctional big management garbage for so long. In a way I'm happy he's out of the NYR mess he still stuck his heart to, because of his loyalty to friendship. In his prime, he would've been a star surrounded by more quality. He still can be. Not just an elite complementary player, he's a borderline line carrier when he's on. I'm so pissed off I have to wait to see him with Seguin and Radulov for so long. He's very special. He has never had that quality. And then Klingberg and Heiskanen? My god.

This has literally nothing to do with anything.
It is bad practice to sign old players for long term.
His previous discounts don't matter, and him retiring would be a problem too.
He could be great for all 5yrs, or good for 2yrs and bad for 3, that is why you don't take the risk

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
This has literally nothing to do with anything.
It is bad practice to sign old players for long term.
His previous discounts don't matter, and him retiring would be a problem too.
He could be great for all 5yrs, or good for 2yrs and bad for 3, that is why you don't take the risk

It was rumored he wouldn't re-sign in NY because they wouldn't offer him more than 3 years. So you propose we let him walk, then?

How exactly would you fix the offense then? Who do you sign? What do you do?

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I'd give him 4 years, tops. With the current CBA, no one wants to go past 35. If they stop at 34, then they get an opportunity to re-evaluate the contract. I'd maybe go 5 if we could tack on a cheap year to get the cap hit down a little bit. Something like 6-6-6-5-4, which I'd definitely consider. (5.4 cap hit). They did a similar thing with Radulov, where, at the end of his pay days (these last two seasons), then his real dollars drop a bit. Honestly, I guess I sign him if he'll play ball with that, but I'd hope Dallas tries to re-secure a 2020 first.

The problem becomes, if we're good for four years and our drafting is on par with what we have now, and we're successful, we are 100% boned after all of our UFAs hit the market, barring selling assets like Radulov or Klingberg or Zuccarello on the tail end of their contracts.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd give him 4 years, tops. With the current CBA, no one wants to go past 35. If they stop at 34, then they get an opportunity to re-evaluate the contract. I'd maybe go 5 if we could tack on a cheap year to get the cap hit down a little bit. Something like 6-6-6-5-4, which I'd definitely consider. (5.4 cap hit). They did a similar thing with Radulov, where, at the end of his pay days (these last two seasons), then his real dollars drop a bit. Honestly, I guess I sign him if he'll play ball with that, but I'd hope Dallas tries to re-secure a 2020 first.

The problem becomes, if we're good for four years and our drafting is on par with what we have now, and we're successful, we are 100% boned after all of our UFAs hit the market, barring selling assets like Radulov or Klingberg or Zuccarello on the tail end of their contracts.

I think the hope would be that drafting is more in line with what it has been the last two years (which is more promising). By the end of those contracts, the UFAs likely won't be impact players anymore anyway. If we're not replacing them internally, we're in deep trouble 4ish years from now.

RangersNorway

Jul 31, 2014
Norway
5 years @ 5,5-6...

If Mats stays healthy next year, he will break 70pts for sure. Please give Mats the opportunity to play with a good finisher.

He would definetly be a ppg-player if he had a good finisher on his line the past few years.

Reactions: Lays

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
5 years @ 5,5-6...

If Mats stays healthy next year, he will break 70pts for sure. Please give Mats the opportunity to play with a good finisher.

He would definetly be a ppg-player if he had a good finisher on his line the past few years.

He had immediate chemistry with Seguin and Radulov so hopefully he gets to stick with them. Maybe he can get Benn back to his old ways though too. Only played 2 periods so sucks we have to wait a long time to maybe even get a chance to see who all he has chemistry with

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I think the hope would be that drafting is more in line with what it has been the last two years (which is more promising). By the end of those contracts, the UFAs likely won't be impact players anymore anyway. If we're not replacing them internally, we're in deep trouble 4ish years from now.

I think that's a fair assessment. We'll have to hope Dellandrea, Robertson, whoever the Stars pick up this year, maybe Tufte or some of the Euros to come over and show they can hack it going forward. Or we move guys in Granlund-Fiala style trades to forward rich teams that need some holes filled.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I think that's a fair assessment. We'll have to hope Dellandrea, Robertson, whoever the Stars pick up this year, maybe Tufte or some of the Euros to come over and show they can hack it going forward. Or we move guys in Granlund-Fiala style trades to forward rich teams that need some holes filled.
I woudn't keep your breath held for Tufte

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
It was rumored he wouldn't re-sign in NY because they wouldn't offer him more than 3 years. So you propose we let him walk, then?

How exactly would you fix the offense then? Who do you sign? What do you do?
If you think Zuccarello alone fixes our offense, you're in for a surprise.
I'd be pushing for Duchene, Karlsson, Panarin, Nyquist, Skinner in UFA

We already have 2 potentially horrendous contracts (Benn and Radulov) and look how quickly Spezza went from Good to garbage., we don't need to risk being locked into another contract until a player is 37 with no way out.
We're already watching the corpse of Jamie Benn most nights, just wait until it is the corpse of Radulov as well

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If you think Zuccarello alone fixes our offense, you're in for a surprise.
I'd be pushing for Duchene, Karlsson, Panarin, Nyquist, Skinner in UFA

We already have 2 potentially horrendous contracts (Benn and Radulov) and look how quickly Spezza went from Good to garbage., we don't need to risk being locked into another contract until a player is 37 with no way out.
We're already watching the corpse of Jamie Benn most nights, just wait until it is the corpse of Radulov as well

4 of the 5 you mentioned are going to demand and get 7 year contracts. Nyquist, the only other one, potentially could and will almost certainly be getting a 5+ year deal.

All of them have similar or more NHL seasons as Zucc. Age isn’t the only factor in a player’s production decreasing.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Stevonidas

Wanna go pretty boy?
Jul 14, 2007
The Lone Star State
GDDRWkA.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad