Mats Sundin Appreciation Thread

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
seeing that highlight video reminds us of the fact that we've had zero great players since he left. Just boatloads of mostly no-name players who came in and went out. He was the last superstar we ever had - ever since then it's been a steady decline into the dumpster bin

It's hard to believe that the Leafs were actually good at one time, and Sundin was a reason for that

Chalms55

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
seeing that highlight video reminds us of the fact that we've had zero great players since he left. Just boatloads of mostly no-name players who came in and went out. He was the last superstar we ever had - ever since then it's been a steady decline into the dumpster bin

It's hard to believe that the Leafs were actually good at one time, and Sundin was THE reason for that

I fixed it for you.

Although I really liked many players from that time, Sundin is without a doubt the reason the Leafs were good then. I hope that this organization can one day have another player of his caliber, both in skill set and class.

Congratulations on the statue Mats. It is more than deserved.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Listening to PTS right now, some idiot (Nolan) from Hamilton calls in berating Mats.

It's gross to know that there are people like him around

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Listening to PTS right now, some idiot (Nolan) from Hamilton calls in berating Mats.

It's gross to know that there are people like him around

And then Bob agreed with him, turned it off right away. Only took 1 call to remind me why call-in shows are such a joke. I bet he comes from the Don Cherry theory of evaluating players, if he's not Canadian then he is awful. He brought up the old ppg went down in the playoffs argument, goals go down league wide in the playoffs every year, it's just how the game is played.

Gonna watch MLB tonight until 5 when I can flip between him and Tim and Sid.

Vodalian

Apr 8, 2009
I grew up watching Sundin on team Sweden. Having him was like watching a movie where you know from the start that the hero will kick some ***. That big guy just never let us down.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Can't believe there are people who complained about Sundin's playoff performances.

Sundin and his line(Bohonos!) was basically the only scoring line in that 1999 playoff run(yes yes I know Valk scored the series winning goal in game 6 in OT), and he was really the only player who showed up against the Sabres in the entire series.

Some said he was a non factor in the 2002 run, yea he was injured for many games, but guess who scored the last minute tying goal in game 6 against the Canes?

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
I became a Leafs fan in the Salming days. I remember the day that Sundin was traded to my Leafs, and how we lost Wendel at the same time. I was extatic, even though Wendel was my fav. player on the team at the time. Since then I have enjoyed Mats leading the Leafs, as well as captaining the National Team. He singled handedly destroyed our Finnish neighbours several times, earning a reputation as our greatest national team player of all times. (In hockey). I am very happy for him, and his induction in the Row. :handclap:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Really love Mats reaction here :laugh:

Him and Cujo are my favorite leafs hands down, and I'm super pumped for the statue of Sundin.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I became a Leafs fan in the Salming days. I remember the day that Sundin was traded to my Leafs, and how we lost Wendel at the same time. I was extatic, even though Wendel was my fav. player on the team at the time. Since then I have enjoyed Mats leading the Leafs, as well as captaining the National Team. He singled handedly destroyed our Finnish neighbours several times, earning a reputation as our greatest national team player of all times. (In hockey). I am very happy for him, and his induction in the Row. :handclap:

This is something that is so often overlooked, it's scary. Mats Sundin was considered the best Swede to ever play the game for Sweden.
Ahead of such scrubs as Forsberg, Lisdtrom, Alfredsson, Salming, etc....

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My all time favorite Maple Leafs moment was being live at the Air Canada Centre on the night when Sundin scored his 500th NHL goal in overtime against Calgary, the fact that it was a hat trick goal made it even better. I remember jumping out of my seat, screaming so loud and after the three stars were announced and I was getting ready to leave, I just said one word and it was history. So it's a moment I will never forget.

Enemy

Feb 21, 2010
My number 1 since since I started following hockey as a ten year old. Absolutely irreplaceable.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
My all time favorite Maple Leafs moment was being live at the Air Canada Centre on the night when Sundin scored his 500th NHL goal in overtime against Calgary, the fact that it was a hat trick goal made it even better. I remember jumping out of my seat, screaming so loud and after the three stars were announced and I was getting ready to leave, I just said one word and it was history. So it's a moment I will never forget.

Short handed too. I'll never forget that goal. Clapper from a couple feet inside the blue line, right over Kipper's shoulder. Kipper didn't even need to look behind him, just skated away.

Man, the slapshot is a lost art. Sundin was one of the last forwards who could unleash it in stride from anywhere and pick a corner like it was a wrister. Even a guy like Stamkos usually needs to set his feet to take an effective slapshot.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Short handed too. I'll never forget that goal. Clapper from a couple feet inside the blue line, right over Kipper's shoulder. Kipper didn't even need to look behind him, just skated away.

Man, the slapshot is a lost art. Sundin was one of the last forwards who could unleash it in stride from anywhere and pick a corner like it was a wrister. Even a guy like Stamkos usually needs to set his feet to take an effective slapshot.
Oh that's right I completely forgot it was short handed and since the NHL went to 4 on 4 in overtime and a team had a power play, how many times did a short handed goal even happen?

Also I found it strange in a way that Dion Phaneuf was on the ice for Calgary when the goal was scored, considering he was the next captain after Sundin.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Love Sundin. Great selection.

He should have left at the deadline, that I don't forgive.

But the years he endured with Hogland etc around him for that alone I admire him. So many big moments with Mats. In truth, we should have won a cup once in the Sundin era. It's a real shame management didn't support him better he was a true #1 C it's amazing the whole he has left.

when he's your Capt,future hall of famer ,all time points leader ect,ect you don't trade him unless he wants to be traded to a contender like Ray Bourque was. I thought and still think it was totally classless for the leafs to handle it like that. Also think he still held a lot of value as a leader going forward until someone earned the spot from him.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
I grew up with Mats, and was the one defending him over and over again with the way he left Toronto. My point the entire time was . . . whatever decision he made, he EARNED it. Every single ounce. And it was a disgrace that Leafs management at the time let him go out like that (from the TML). I will stand by that forever.

Mats Sundin . . . was a man's man, a real tough sonnafa***** hockey player with elite skill. Never complained. Never derided anyone. Always class. Probably seen as bland, but . . . never came across as that kind of monotone answer guy that a Crosby or Gretzky is/was. He told the truth, and was very diplomatic about it. He was that 35/35 guy . . . and he had that uncanny ability that guys of that ilk (think Iginla) who always seem to know when to pass or shoot.

My question to the hockey gods is . . . how much better could his numbers have been if instead of place-holders like Jonas Hoglund and Lonny Bohonos, he played with elite wingers in their prime?!? It's crazy to think that the only elite winger he ever had in Toronto was an aging Mogilny for like a year . . . Roberts was past his prime . . . it's just mind-boggling.

And here's the thing EVERYONE (ok, almost everyone) forgets - in international play? With prime Forsberg? Lidstrom? Guess who was Sweden's MVP, during their truly golden era? Mats. Mats, when playing with the greats of his time, excelled ABOVE his peers. THAT, to me, truly proves how understated his greatness was and ever will be.

Mats, you were awesome. Always #1 in my heart.

An idea of what he could of done on a better team with better line mates is as a 22 yr old on Quebec he put up 114 points. Never came close to that again but if he had of stayed on Quebec i'm sure that would of been the norm.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
In my memory, the only ones who might be able to compete with him in their accomplishments as a Leaf would be Salming or Horton. Salming never accepted the "C", but was a great player for a long time. Horton had a ridiculously long run, especially considering the era he played in.

Sittler and The Big M were also really, really good(well, great, really). Both had to deal with idiots in management.

Mats (Mots, as we call him around here...still have my wood Sherwood Sundin with the best curve EVER) really had a complete game.

Swedes seem to be saying that Sundin was the best for them in International play. How did Borje rate?

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC

The defenseman in front of him when he shoots? Dion Phaneuf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad