Mats Sundin Appreciation Thread

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Just a thread to appreciate one of the greatest Leafs ever.

When looking through the Leafs record books it’s almost comical how many times Mats Sundin’s name comes up. For a team that has been around for nearly a century to have 1 player hold so many of the records is truly outstanding. Some of Mats Records….

Most Points – Mats Sundin, 987
Most Goals – Mats Sundin, 420
Most Power Play Goals (124), Most Game Winning Goals (79), Most Over Time Goals (15) and even Most Short Handed Goals (23), you guessed it…. – Mats Sundin

The only offensive category he doesn’t hold the record for is most assists, were he’s 2nd behind Salming with 567. And who knows, if Roberts or Mogilny had shown up a couple years earlier he may hold that record as well.

Besides that sheer amount of goals and points he put up whats remarkable is the consistency in which he put them up with. Not looking at the lock out shortened season in which he began his Leafs career Mats all time low in goals was 27, being on pace for 30+ goals in each of his 13 seasons, while never dipping below 70 points. Of his 13 seasons in Toronto he lead the team in points all but one season.

Mats was a hero in the playoffs as well with 77 playoff games registering 32 goals and 70 points. 2nd mosts in points behind Gilmour and 2nd mosts in goals behind Clark.

During Sundin’s tenure the Leafs made the playoffs 8 times, with 2 conference finals appearances, 3 trips to the conference semi’s, and 3 first round exists. For those too lazy to count, thats 7 playoff series wins with Sundin as a Leaf.

Since the last time The Leafs won the cup, that’s more than…

Gimour – 4
Clark – 6
Ramage – 0
Vaive – 3
Sittler – 6
Any Leafs Captain since ’67
actually...
Any Leafs Player since ’67

From 1967 to 2015 he's been the greatest Leaf, no question.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
My entire childhood was Sundin's team. Always has been and always will be my favourite Leaf. So much class and love for the city and organization, 13 seasons, and never complained about the team he had. Rare things these days.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He was a hell of a player who, if he spent those 12 Leaf seasons with a more competent organization, would have a a few pieces of hardware in his trophy case.

boy could we use a Mats Sundin at centre right about now, couldn't we?

Gonna miss those slapshot goals off the inside of the crossbar, and watching him skate around the net to score backhand with 3 guys on his back. (sundin's backhand was superlative, diminished unfortunately by a wrist injury he suffered against the Islanders in the playoffs. it was never the same after that.)

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site
boy could we use a Mats Sundin at centre right about now, couldn't we?

Oh boy, we sure could! The Leafs haven't found anyone close to his caliber since he left the organization.

When I think of Mats, I think about his stellar consistency. You could always count on Mats to deliver the goods & lead the team. I'm not gonna lie, when Wendel got traded I was shocked like the rest of the city but it was one of the best moves the Leafs made because if we didn't trade Wendel, we would've never gotten a chance to watch Mats play for us night after night.

I'm glad that Mats has gotten an appreciation thread on this board. Hopefully this thing fills up & is big because Mats was a player truthfully deserving of any Leaf fans appreciation.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Wouldn't have been a Leafs Fan if not for Mats.

he's the only named jersey I own (won't get another one unless it is someone special). as Hero stated - when you look at how good he was and how he owns like - almost every record but a mere few in Leafs history (and we're 100 next year) it blows your mind.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Terrific player, we were lucky to have him here for so many years.

I think we forget how good of a player he was. But then I watch something like this and am quickly reminded:

[NHL]189102[/NHL]

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Sundin was a phenomenal player. For all the flak he was given in 08-09, he was one of the best ever to play in the blue and white.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I grew up with Mats, and was the one defending him over and over again with the way he left Toronto. My point the entire time was . . . whatever decision he made, he EARNED it. Every single ounce. And it was a disgrace that Leafs management at the time let him go out like that (from the TML). I will stand by that forever.

Mats Sundin . . . was a man's man, a real tough sonnafa***** hockey player with elite skill. Never complained. Never derided anyone. Always class. Probably seen as bland, but . . . never came across as that kind of monotone answer guy that a Crosby or Gretzky is/was. He told the truth, and was very diplomatic about it. He was that 35/35 guy . . . and he had that uncanny ability that guys of that ilk (think Iginla) who always seem to know when to pass or shoot.

My question to the hockey gods is . . . how much better could his numbers have been if instead of place-holders like Jonas Hoglund and Lonny Bohonos, he played with elite wingers in their prime?!? It's crazy to think that the only elite winger he ever had in Toronto was an aging Mogilny for like a year . . . Roberts was past his prime . . . it's just mind-boggling.

And here's the thing EVERYONE (ok, almost everyone) forgets - in international play? With prime Forsberg? Lidstrom? Guess who was Sweden's MVP, during their truly golden era? Mats. Mats, when playing with the greats of his time, excelled ABOVE his peers. THAT, to me, truly proves how understated his greatness was and ever will be.

Mats, you were awesome. Always #1 in my heart.

mikebel111*

My favorite Leafs player of all time and I doubt that will change. He was a heart and soul guy who was a true captain. Cant believe people actually thought he was a bad leader
I miss Mats a lot and he was one amazing player. He will never be forgotten

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Man, I feel bad for the younger leaf generation that have absolutely nothing. Sundin was absolutely dynamite. So frigging clutch. It's too bad they never built around him better.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I grew up watching Sundin, he'll always be my favourite player.

Greatest Maple Leaf of all time.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Love Sundin. Great selection.

He should have left at the deadline, that I don't forgive.

But the years he endured with Hogland etc around him for that alone I admire him. So many big moments with Mats. In truth, we should have won a cup once in the Sundin era. It's a real shame management didn't support him better he was a true #1 C it's amazing the whole he has left.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Love Sundin. Great selection.

He should have left at the deadline, that I don't forgive.

But the years he endured with Hogland etc around him for that alone I admire him. So many big moments with Mats. In truth, we should have won a cup once in the Sundin era. It's a real shame management didn't support him better he was a true #1 C it's amazing the whole he has left.

Personally I feel like actually having a Captain that don't want to play for another team is worth as much in its own way as the trade return, especially considering how meager they look in retrospect.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Still think he had one of the best back handers I've ever seen from a player.

Big reason I'm a Leafs fan and hope to someday cheer for someone just as special as he was.

Deserves the statue.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Still think he had one of the best back handers I've ever seen from a player.

Big reason I'm a Leafs fan and hope to someday cheer for someone just as special as he was.

Deserves the statue.

There are some current ones that have comparable back hands in my opinion. Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Crosby. Sundin might have been the best of them though.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I would love for him to get involved in the management side of things. I know he's known as an 'ambassador' of sorts for the team but I really think he could do well here in an executive role.

Something tells me he's not overly interested in that though.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
My favorite athlete of all time and the reason I'm a Leafs fan. It's been 10 long, suffering years but I still think back to those dark, Winter nights when the snow was falling outside and I was glued to Hockey Night in Canada with Sundin leading the way.

Now if you'll excuse me for a minute, I think I have something in my eye........

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I'll never forget the heartbreak seeing him leaving and wearing a Canucks uniform.

Then when he returned the crowds booed him on the ice then cheered with burning emotion whenever the camera panned to him on the bench. The game went to a shootout. Sundin was up and scores on the Leafs making it a Canuck win. The crowd again went from booing to cheering and Sundin teary eyed waved at the audience and then he was gone and that was it.

I'll miss his beaming expression whenever he scored clutch goals

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
My favourite player to ever lace 'em up.

Might just be the nostalgia of being a childhood hero of mine, but I don't know if I can ever see myself appreciating a player the way I idolize Sundin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad