Mathew Savoie

Discussion in 'WHL' started by gibber1600, Nov 11, 2019.

1. gibber1600 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Puretone Hearing
    I see Mathew Savoie has played 5 games with Winnipeg Ice this season. I thought he was refused his special exception from the WHL. How is he able to play?

2. The Nemesis Semper Tyrannus

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Awards:
    15 year olds can play a limited # of games during the season for their WHL club until their midget team's season is over (at which point they can play out the remainder of the WHL season). I also think there's allowances made for emergency injury fill-ins.

3. McChucky TOPPEP

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Oilers Fan
    Yep. He can play 5 games. Once he season is over in Midget he can join the team permanently.

4. Juniorhockeyguru Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Savoie has different rules. He can play up to 35 games. Not sure how his family thought he was "Player Exceptional". Had a tough year to this point.

5. e14 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

I've said that before... To me you can get exceptional status if you can fit on top line... There are a dozen players than can come in and hold their own... That's not exceptional

6. Joe Hallenback Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He can play on the top line IMO but the Ice haven't done that yet. I think if he was playing the full year he would probably get more top line minutes but since he isn't they can be patient and picking about when he goes out there. He isn't a big player and sometimes that will have a big affect on what you do in Junior initially. My guess is now that Krebs is back they will start to play them together as the season goes along.

wetcoast likes this.
  7. wgpsensfan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He just got knocked out last night. It didn’t look good.

8. e14 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yeah that really sucks for him...
    I blame his entourage for that one... There was no need to play him this much this year. He's not a big player and going back and forth between u18 and WHL is not an easy adjustment to make multiple times per season.

9. Oilpeg Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He's mentally ready as far as thinking the game goes, but physically, he's just too small right now. That hit proved it.

10. Fight Guy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Well, that's just not true. There are many players smaller than him in the league. That hit could have happened to anybody. At the most, he made a bad play with his head down...which happens to younger (and sometimes older) players every year. It's crappy to see players get hurt, but it happens. People really are making way to much of this.

FrankGallagher likes this.
  11. e14 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Well it's a risk to put a young especially smaller player in this league but at one point it's your turn and if you want to get to the next level you need to get through it... Question is why jump in early? Especially going back and forth to midget needing to adjust to different speeds multiple times in a few months. He's playing ok on WPG Ice but he's by no means dominant... There was no hurry to take the risk... Anyone think he would have been a lesser player next year because he didn't play 12 games?

12. jetsmooseice Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    20 games in, 0 goals, 6 assists on 32 shots, -8. Playing well for an underager who isn't getting piles of minutes, but probably not what most would consider an exceptional player. That said, we're still expecting big things from him down the road here in Winnipeg.

e14 likes this.
  13. wetcoast Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think Savoie is going to have a very good season next season, this year he was just too immature physically for the league.

e14 likes this.
  14. jetsmooseice Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Agree completely. He has impressive speed and skill but I'm not sure that it was quite enough to overcome the size and strength gap that exists at such a young age. Fortunately it won't be an issue for him next season. I am looking forward to seeing what's in store from him next year.

e14 likes this.
  15. jetsmooseice Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I wasn't at the game on Saturday night but it sounds like Savoie had some amazing chances and came super close, but couldn't quite get it into the net. He didn't play on Sunday.

16. Oilpeg Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Savoie had three goals and four assists yesterday in Rink's 8-2 win over Edge in the CSSHL Championships. Good start to the playoffs for him.