Mathew Savoie

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
15 year olds can play a limited # of games during the season for their WHL club until their midget team's season is over (at which point they can play out the remainder of the WHL season). I also think there's allowances made for emergency injury fill-ins.

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
Yep. He can play 5 games. Once he season is over in Midget he can join the team permanently.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Yep. He can play 5 games. Once he season is over in Midget he can join the team permanently.

Savoie has different rules. He can play up to 35 games. Not sure how his family thought he was "Player Exceptional". Had a tough year to this point.

e14

Feb 14, 2018
Savoie has different rules. He can play up to 35 games. Not sure how his family thought he was "Player Exceptional". Had a tough year to this point.

I've said that before... To me you can get exceptional status if you can fit on top line... There are a dozen players than can come in and hold their own... That's not exceptional

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
He can play on the top line IMO but the Ice haven't done that yet. I think if he was playing the full year he would probably get more top line minutes but since he isn't they can be patient and picking about when he goes out there. He isn't a big player and sometimes that will have a big affect on what you do in Junior initially. My guess is now that Krebs is back they will start to play them together as the season goes along.

Reactions: wetcoast

e14

Feb 14, 2018
He just got knocked out last night. It didn’t look good.
Yeah that really sucks for him...
I blame his entourage for that one... There was no need to play him this much this year. He's not a big player and going back and forth between u18 and WHL is not an easy adjustment to make multiple times per season.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
He's mentally ready as far as thinking the game goes, but physically, he's just too small right now. That hit proved it.

Fight Guy

Jan 9, 2005
He's mentally ready as far as thinking the game goes, but physically, he's just too small right now. That hit proved it.
Well, that's just not true. There are many players smaller than him in the league. That hit could have happened to anybody. At the most, he made a bad play with his head down...which happens to younger (and sometimes older) players every year. It's crappy to see players get hurt, but it happens. People really are making way to much of this.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

e14

Feb 14, 2018
Well, that's just not true. There are many players smaller than him in the league. That hit could have happened to anybody. At the most, he made a bad play with his head down...which happens to younger (and sometimes older) players every year. It's crappy to see players get hurt, but it happens. People really are making way to much of this.

Well it's a risk to put a young especially smaller player in this league but at one point it's your turn and if you want to get to the next level you need to get through it... Question is why jump in early? Especially going back and forth to midget needing to adjust to different speeds multiple times in a few months. He's playing ok on WPG Ice but he's by no means dominant... There was no hurry to take the risk... Anyone think he would have been a lesser player next year because he didn't play 12 games?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
20 games in, 0 goals, 6 assists on 32 shots, -8. Playing well for an underager who isn't getting piles of minutes, but probably not what most would consider an exceptional player. That said, we're still expecting big things from him down the road here in Winnipeg.

Reactions: e14

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
20 games in, 0 goals, 6 assists on 32 shots, -8. Playing well for an underager who isn't getting piles of minutes, but probably not what most would consider an exceptional player. That said, we're still expecting big things from him down the road here in Winnipeg.

I think Savoie is going to have a very good season next season, this year he was just too immature physically for the league.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I think Savoie is going to have a very good season next season, this year he was just too immature physically for the league.

Agree completely. He has impressive speed and skill but I'm not sure that it was quite enough to overcome the size and strength gap that exists at such a young age. Fortunately it won't be an issue for him next season. I am looking forward to seeing what's in store from him next year.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I wasn't at the game on Saturday night but it sounds like Savoie had some amazing chances and came super close, but couldn't quite get it into the net. He didn't play on Sunday.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Savoie had three goals and four assists yesterday in Rink's 8-2 win over Edge in the CSSHL Championships. Good start to the playoffs for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad