Mathew Dumba

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I don't think I've seen him jump out of the way of a 2 on 0 to go charge his phone even once this year. Seems like he's been making sure he's not alone when he steps up to unceremoniously seat someone on the ice, too. So I guess my only remaining complaint with him is that he changed his shoulder pads or something and no longer looks like that hunchback dancing kid from the Charlie Brown Christmas special, so it makes a loss less sense when I start going "Doo do do do doodoo, doo do do do doodoo" when I see him on the ice. And that's easily one of the worst things a player could do.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
They were talking about him on the radio today about some point share stat. The Guy said Connor McDavid is only player ahead of Dumba when it comes to getting his team points. Dumba is also on for more goals for then he is against.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I always thought Jonas Brodin was extremely underrated, isn't That Dumba's parner.

A hell of a second pairing on any team.

SOrt of like Braun-Vlasic on SHarks,

He might be the worst 3v3 player in the league.

I raise you a Sedin, and then I raise you another Sedin.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I think 3v3 criticism is understandable because it does highlight mistakes and Dumba's game from juniors on up has been and always will be high-risk/high-reward based. That said, i believe he is unleashed in OT and supposed to be playing that aggressively.

He isn't a natural "smart" player but he's talented, he's got a great attitude and work ethic, and he's proven definitively that he learns (rapidly) from experience and it's really quite a night-and-day transformation from his ultra loose play in year one to this. The great thing is the Wild absolutely knew Dumba was a project (and likely to take time) when they drafted him and stayed patient with him, not trying to squash his natural aggressive instincts but letting him hone them with the mistakes he was bound to make.

Reactions: IceBoxHockey

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I always thought Jonas Brodin was extremely underrated, isn't That Dumba's parner.

He is. Unflashy type, gets panned by some for all the stuff he doesn't do because he's human and makes a mistake that leads to a goal against every once in a while. when we're healthy he's Dumba's partner. They looked sketchy at first but i think that's because it takes a little bit of adjustment to figure out what Dumba's likely to do out there. Was a very strong pairing late in the season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

A hell of a second pairing on any team.

SOrt of like Braun-Vlasic on SHarks,
I dunno about Braun (my lack of knowledge), but Vlasic is by no means a second pairing dman. He is superb, and would be the best Dman on quite a few teams in the NHL. Many teams end up splitting up their best dmen anyways, nowadays, either because of handedness, or for other reasons. I'm not sure that I wouldn't rather have him over the long run than Burns.

Dumba has made a couple of mistakes on 3v3 recently, but is everyone forgetting the OT's where he has single-handedly won games?

Brodin is a puck retrieval, board battle, and first pass artist in his own end. Not one of the old school "defensive Defenseman", but a defensive Dman who is one of the best skaters on the team, with some decent puck handling skills, excellent defensive judgement, and the risk taking propensities of a 72 year old accountant.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I dunno about Braun (my lack of knowledge), but Vlasic is by no means a second pairing dman. He is superb, and would be the best Dman on quite a few teams in the NHL. Many teams end up splitting up their best dmen anyways, nowadays, either because of handedness, or for other reasons. I'm not sure that I wouldn't rather have him over the long run than Burns.

Dumba has made a couple of mistakes on 3v3 recently, but is everyone forgetting the OT's where he has single-handedly won games?

Brodin is a puck retrieval, board battle, and first pass artist in his own end. Not one of the old school "defensive Defenseman", but a defensive Dman who is one of the best skaters on the team, with some decent puck handling skills, excellent defensive judgement, and the risk taking propensities of a 72 year old accountant.

I’m not denying he has the talent of a first pairing Dman and was there top pairing d man for a lot of years

But this year He’s been on the second pair With Braun a lot of the year while someone like heed would play with burns on pair one or someone else I can’t think of.

Just deboers way of spreading the depth I believe, if I’m wrong then I’m mistaken but every time I see a sharks game and they lay the lineups Braun is with vlasic on pair two almost every time.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I’m not denying he has the talent of a first pairing Dman and was there top pairing d man for a lot of years

But this year He’s been on the second pair With Braun a lot of the year while someone like heed would play with burns on pair one or someone else I can’t think of.

Just deboers way of spreading the depth I believe, if I’m wrong then I’m mistaken but every time I see a sharks game and they lay the lineups Braun is with vlasic on pair two almost every time.

You're right, Vlasic and Burns almost never play together.

I've always liked Dumba as a prospect, glad to see he's just getting better and better.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
He is good. If Minnesota doesn't think so then we would be happy to take him off your hands ;)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Good offensively and an adventure in his own end. Questionable hockey sense.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
He's been delight this year. Of course some brain farts will always be there, but man's getting smarter. Many times that means just simpler solutions.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I have a feeling that we're about to see how Dumba looks when he plays as a teams #1D.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00