Mathew Dumba

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
What are your opinions?

Set a career high in goals with 12 tonight. Sitting at 42 points and +13 tonight.

23 years old.

He seems to be the classic brain-fart D'man with tools, who grows out of them with experience: we watched Brent Burns in his early career.

He has pretty much filled in for Spurgeon in his injury.

He can be tough too.

Needless to say, I am pretty high on the lad.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He's young still, but when I watch him he's usually screwing up. I've only seen him play like 15-20 times though, he seems like he has the talent to be a nice top 4 dman

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Contract year + playing more with Ryan Suter is a good recipe for a good season on paper. Case in point: he just picked up an assist off a rush which was initially caused by him giving up a shorthanded chance the other way with a bad turnover (with Suter saving his butt of course). He's the loose cannon he always has been.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
As this season has gone on he has cut down on the brain farts significantly. It is looking more and more like his potential is actually going to happen.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not trying to trash him but when we were playing the Wild I was pretty happy when he was on the ice. Can be dangerous, but just as likely to get pushed around in his own zone.

Do think he has a future though as a 2nd pairing OFD type with the right partner, he's pretty deadly with the puck and can be ferocious and I think he'll fill out and thus grow into that second part a bit more. Yandle-lite, with more piss and vinegar.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Contract year + playing more with Ryan Suter is a good recipe for a good season on paper. Case in point: he just picked up an assist off a rush which was initially caused by him giving up a shorthanded chance the other way with a bad turnover (with Suter saving his butt of course). He's the loose cannon he always has been.

I thought I blocked SoH? Did something change with HF changed too? Anyways, as always I and every other Wild fan disagree with your current assessment. He's not the loose cannon he always has been. But he does make mistakes.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He's steadily improved every year he's played for the Wild and I expect he'll continue to do so for a season or two. He'll always be a player that takes risks to try to make things happen, but he's gotten better at avoiding the really low-percentage plays.

And he's 100% in the faceoff circle this year. Rock star.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Real shot at 50 points after 4 tonight. Seems to be playing well next to Suter in place of Spurgeon.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
he takes risks. And then he sometimes just hands the other team the puck at our blueline for no apparent reason.

But he gets goals and I would not give him up.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
It’s hard to remember he’s only 23 since he’s been playing top 4 minutes for so long. He’s really athletic and has that bomb, but man he does dumb things. I think you gotta be patient. Just a baby boy.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
When he's bad, he's REALLY REALLY bad. But when he's good, it's fun to watch. And he's got a cannon that nobody else on the team can get close to.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A young RHD who scores 50 pts. is a big deal. Especially one who can skate, and has some physicality. I do feel he should've been playing back in the days of seven man hockey. He would be perfect for the Rover position.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A lot is made of his "dumb" plays, which are really just him trying to do too much.
Less is said of his "smart" plays. His vision and passing is underrated. He's not some slow moving guy with a howitzer and nothing else.

This is pretty clearly his best year, and by a long shot. The guy is playing first pairing minutes, and producing. Also giving Suter grey hair.:laugh:

Reactions: Bazeek

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
He's been improving a lot but the worst thing about him is he still doesn't seem able to think the game ahead. Especially in the own zone. Which is strange since he has no problem of showing decent hockey iq in the o-zone.

Today it seems he will actually get there. A year ago I personally wouldn't have bet on it. It's great, the guy's got some serious swag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad