Injury Report: Mathew Dumba - Returns Tonight vs. CHI

651*

Can someone here explain to me in layman terms what exercising him this year means down the road to his contract and the rights we have over him?

I think his play has been spotty and he is not quite ready to be in regular rotation and that he might have been better off full time in Juniors another year.

I'm just curious what this means three years for now.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Can someone here explain to me in layman terms what exercising him this year means down the road to his contract and the rights we have over him?

I think his play has been spotty and he is not quite ready to be in regular rotation and that he might have been better off full time in Juniors another year.

I'm just curious what this means three years for now.

His 10th game burned the first year of his ELC. If he's in the roster for over 40 games, it burns one of his RFA years.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The way he is playing I think it's going to be tough for him to get up to 40 games. He needs a lot of seasoning and when he does play his minutes need to be sheltered bigtime.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Aren't we screwing up his development by keeping him up here? If he's going to sit in the box night after night, why not let him go back to his junior team? Is he a better option at this point than Blum or Cuma?

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Aren't we screwing up his development by keeping him up here? If he's going to sit in the box night after night, why not let him go back to his junior team? Is he a better option at this point than Blum or Cuma?

He has nothing left to learn in junior. Having him dominate kids won't help him develop at this point, it will stagnate him. Unfortunately, thanks to that idiotic NHL/CHL agreement regarding minor pro leagues, we can not send him to Iowa. So that means his best development option will be to skate in practice with guys like Suter, Brodin, Spurgeon, and the coaches, who can show him and teach him what he needs to do to play at an NHL level.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He has nothing left to learn in junior.

There is a lot left for him to learn in junior. He didn't exactly have a consistent year last year. The only hope is that he makes it to the WJC this year. But he could definitely become a leader on that defense and learn how to pick his spots better with hitting.

TornadoRex

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
\Unfortunately, thanks to that idiotic NHL/CHL agreement regarding minor pro leagues, we can not send him to Iowa.

Can you toss me a link to this or explain it? I was wondering why he wasn't in Iowa.

I think his biggest issue right now is the speed difference of the game. It seems like he's a step behind most of the time which can only be learned through playing.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Can you toss me a link to this or explain it? I was wondering why he wasn't in Iowa.

I think his biggest issue right now is the speed difference of the game. It seems like he's a step behind most of the time which can only be learned through playing.

Found a decent article on it the other day when I googled it:
http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012

There is probably a much better article out there somewhere. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in the subject will post it sometime.

TornadoRex

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Found a decent article on it the other day when I googled it:
http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012

There is probably a much better article out there somewhere. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in the subject will post it sometime.

That explained it perfect thank you. So basically he's stuck with either the NHL or CHL because A) he's not 20 and B) hasn't played 4 seasons with Red Deer. I can see why the CHL would want that agreement but wtf NHL for agreeing to that.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'm not sure he has nothing left to learn. He could have been coached by Brent Sutter, play 25+ minutes a night in all situations, fight for a WJC roster spot and go against the world's best young players, and probably get traded to a strong junior team for a playoff push.

I also don't get the "learn to be a pro" bit. It shouldn't take a full year to do that. I get the cup of coffee to see how pros do it, but he can easily learn to be a pro next year as well.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'm not sure he has nothing left to learn. He could have been coached by Brent Sutter, play 25+ minutes a night in all situations, fight for a WJC roster spot and go against the world's best young players, and probably get traded to a strong junior team for a playoff push.

I also don't get the "learn to be a pro" bit. It shouldn't take a full year to do that. I get the cup of coffee to see how pros do it, but he can easily learn to be a pro next year as well.
Exactly. World Juniors alone is a reason to send him back.

And he wasn't dominating the WHL.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
We definitely have more depth at D than we have had in the last couple years.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Exactly. World Juniors alone is a reason to send him back.

And he wasn't dominating the WHL.

There is nothing preventing him playing in the World Juniors if he's in the NHL.

If Canada wants him and we aren't injured on D i'm sure Fletcher will let him play(probably wants him to play) in them.

Billy Mays Here*

Kinda torn on him. Part of me wanted him sent back to juniors because he isn't getting a whole lot of ice time up here and still looks very raw, but part of me knows that there's not much left for him to do if he goes back to Red Deer. Darn, really wish there wasn't that AHL-CHL agreement so we could just send him to Iowa instead.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
maybe the Wild brass are not happy with how he is coming in Red Deer and feel his development is best suited here in MN. Maybe his confidence is best at the NHL level... who knows, either way, none of really know the situation so its pretty hard to speculate and I am happy with whatever Fletcher and co choose to do.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
They can still send him back, it's not like he can't go back any more. Maybe they are seeing progress in practice, maybe he is doing good in practice but they are trying to have him translate it to the game.

Who knows, but if there is one thing i've learned from this regieme is that they kind of do a decent job of developing dudes.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Personally I don't feel he is ready yet. I would send him back to junior. Blum can't be any worse than Dumba..if Dumba is playing every 3rd or 4th game not only is that tough on development but it makes him extremely unreliable as well. He hasn't been good at all and looks overwhelmed every time he is in the lineup.

He will be great down the line but why not let him develop more in junior, put on more weight and gain confidence dominating kids his age/making the WJC team hopefully and we will see him next training camp.

bear1

Mar 3, 2011
He doesn't look any different than he did the first game and has been scratched about half the time. How is that good for his development?

Your spot on send him back how can this be good for his development unless its for popcorn making.

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
At the beginning I thought we heard, "there will be a lot of growing pains but we have to allow/expect that for a young player"...yet the team seems scared to ever slot him in the lineup unless it is mandatory because of injuries.

If its a confidence issue, the team acting afraid to play the kid is only going to compound the problem.

Then again, if he played every game and only got 6 min I'd still be complaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad