Injury Report: Mathew Dumba - Returns Tonight vs. CHI

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He's been shaky the last couple games but to be honest both those passes that were glaring turnovers at the blue line were horrific handcuffs by Stoner. Still, at the NHL you need to get those. He needs to work on his game but I'm not sure it should be at the expense of the Wild winning.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
One thing I love about Dumba is that he's always noticeable when he's on the ice.

He's either rushing the puck, making a crazy pass, or turning the puck over.

Luckily, turning the puck over is the most likely to go away with experience.

montyminny

Oct 12, 2006
Good ol Twin Cities
He's been shaky the last couple games but to be honest both those passes that were glaring turnovers at the blue line were horrific handcuffs by Stoner. Still, at the NHL you need to get those. He needs to work on his game but I'm not sure it should be at the expense of the Wild winning.

Not sure that both passes were handcuffs by Stoner. Both were on the tape. Granted the opposing forward was high but still an NHL player should be able to catch and redirect the puck - either back to his D partner or down below the faceoff dots.

Hypothetical : If Harding (or Backstrom had he been playing) not stop either of those 2 on 0 breakaways - resulting in a goal against - does either Dumba or Stoner since he made the ill advised pass - find themselves sitting?

Overall Dumba is a going to be a very good player I feel. But in the last 2 games he has been at about 10 minutes of ice time (+/-). This compared to probably more than 25 minutes a night in Red Deer. No question about it.....he needs 25 minutes a night so he can be a 20+ minute a night guy for the Wild next season. Really don't want for him to be another Sheppard or Gillies.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
If Stoner has pressure in his face and there's also another opposing forward high, that's a puck that needs to go deep every time. Can't be giving your partner your problems.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
He probably will stay. There is probably more things he can learn in Minnesota than in Red Deer. He has proven what he can do already in the WHL. Maybe he plays now that Ballard is out?

I have a good feeling that he will improve once the nerves of being set back are over, but that's a gamble.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
well prosser is playing tonight against the caps, not dumba. yeo said we need defense, so obviously matt isnt ready for the big guns and cant play on the pk

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
I agree with not playing Dumba tonight against the Caps.

Dumba staying makse sense as you can see his style of hockey changes from juniors to the NHL. Have him stay, learn from our coaches and get fuel to play better so he doesn't sit on the bench.

times like this, the NHL and CHL need to re-visit their agreement on skaters over 18!!! Hate this rule.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Definitely not ready, but at least he can train with an NHL team this season and see limited minutes.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Definitely not ready, but at least he can train with an NHL team this season and see limited minutes.

I think it is more a matter of Prosser does not belong on the left side... and he especially doesn't belong on the left side of a rookie who shows nerves at times.

Dumba plays better with a calming presence like Ballard to his left. Prosser is NOT a calming presence.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Hoping to see his confidence get better and some stability to his game. We've always heard about these big hits he delivers. I'm looking forward to seeing those happen when he gets accustomed to the NHL level.

JamesRanger

Sep 23, 2011
Plymouth
Dumba has of yet shown nothing that makes me believe he is an NHL Dman. This CHL rule is junk but I still think he should be sent back. I sure hope he makes the World Juniors team otherwise he is going to be suck playing few games this year.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Dumba has of yet shown nothing that makes me believe he is an NHL Dman. This CHL rule is junk but I still think he should be sent back. I sure hope he makes the World Juniors team otherwise he is going to be suck playing few games this year.

He will make the Junior team and there's no reason to think that the Wild won't send him. He didn't make it last year due to competition and that he was the youngest defenseman invited to camp. Clearly he has flaws but I would say he is better than most under 18 Canadians on the blue line. Below were invited

DEFENCE

Mathew Dumba 07/25/94
Matt Finn 02/24/94
Dillon Heatherington 05/09/95
Michael Matheson 02/27/94
Josh Morrissey 03/28/95
Darnell Nurse 02/04/95
Adam Pelech 08/16/94
Derrick Pouliot 01/16/94
Ryan Pulock 10/06/94
*Griffin Reinhart 01/24/94
*Morgan Rielly 03/09/94