Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It seems Barzal is waking up. Based on what he said it’s possible the problem wasn’t the matchups he was getting as much as it was getting used to the new system. Remember two seasons ago the team didn’t really wake up til around this time or soon after. It took everyone 30 games to adjust the changes caused by the Nielsen and Okposo departures

It's likely a combination of everything. Glad he's finally buying in and the article discussing that he has bought in came out before his recent string of points, so I tend to actually believe it. He's noticeably better on the ice and is doing a much better job of creating offense. Love it.

Reactions: bigtim1988 and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Trotz is getting Barzal at the right time, Ovie was established and a tougher nut to crack at his stage of his career. The fact that Trotz did finally get through to him... the results speak for themselves. Trotz should leave little pictures of Ovie in all of Barzal's stuff is the youngster gets a little out of line. Like the pic with Ovie in bed with the Cup and that type of nonsense. Haha.

I think we're seeing the roots starting to form in Barzal's game now. What I love is that Barzal has never shied away from contact and getting his nose dirty, he's got that fire in his belly. Everyone wants to say that they have a potential Datsyuk on their hands, I think Barzal is as close as you'll find with the exact same tools as the great #13 does. He has the skating, skill, anticipation and compete to be a force in all 3 zones. Maybe Mat chose that number for a reason?

I think we already have a perennial all star in Barzal, Trotz can make him into a top-5 center in the game.
:clap::clap::clap:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Trotz is getting Barzal at the right time, Ovie was established and a tougher nut to crack at his stage of his career. The fact that Trotz did finally get through to him... the results speak for themselves. Trotz should leave little pictures of Ovie in all of Barzal's stuff is the youngster gets a little out of line. Like the pic with Ovie in bed with the Cup and that type of nonsense. Haha.

I think we're seeing the roots starting to form in Barzal's game now. What I love is that Barzal has never shied away from contact and getting his nose dirty, he's got that fire in his belly. Everyone wants to say that they have a potential Datsyuk on their hands, I think Barzal is as close as you'll find with the exact same tools as the great #13 does. He has the skating, skill, anticipation and compete to be a force in all 3 zones. Maybe Mat chose that number for a reason?

I think we already have a perennial all star in Barzal, Trotz can make him into a top-5 center in the game.

Still blows my mind that Datsyuk was a 6th round pick with the skill he had/has. Kudos to him for putting it all together, just an amazing player.

Here's to hoping for Barzyuk!

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Barzal has been unlucky because his goal-scoring wingers(Beauvilliar and Eberle) have struggled to score, and played on a perplexing(ineffective) powerplay -- which is among the leaders in scoring chances but near the bottom in SH%.

Both things should correct themselves, and he should be around the same production as last year. While he's much improved in his shot-rate, he's still behind where he was last season.

Reactions: mm11

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Man this is one of the most manic threads I have ever read. I seriously can't believe the level of pessimism from some. Last years stats certainly do matter. The dude had an 85 point rookie season. I don't care what kind of defensive system or what kind of lines he went up against, he still scored 85 points. Tied with Anton Stastny and Malkin for 17th all time. There so few players in the history of the NHL that have had such rookie seasons and then gone on to bust or even to have mediocre careers. The odds are against that happening and in his favor. I would be shocked if that's how things went. As far as his shooting, 22 of those 85 were goals, on 170 shots at 12.9%. The % a bit high likely and was bound to come down. He definitely needs to shoot more, but he's by no means a terrible goal scorer. He's not a sniper either but he can put the puck in the net in numerous ways and his shot is decent, I might even say his wrister can be above average. He's definitely having a sophomore slump, but so many professional athletes go through that in all sports. It's so common its usually not a thing to worry much about. Now there certainly are players who don't bounce back after that sophomore slump and their rookie years certainly begin to look like flukes. But I don't see Barzal in that category. Just watching him play you can see all the talent in the world and the skills. All of his problems are mental, emotional or educational. Meaning they can and should be corrected in time. He's not even 22 years old until the upcoming May. If anyone was comparing him to Tavares or thinking he would take over Tavares' spot and transition the team as if nothing changed were either completely delusional or on the sauce. Can't think of any rational reason to have expected him to avoid growing pains and just replace one of the best all around players in the NHL, regardless of how many points he can score. Not to mention Barzal is a completely different type of player than Tavares. They play two completely different styles in the same position. So he still needs to work on some things. I think most of it is mental, but he also needs some work in his timing and especially his faceoffs. If I were coaching him I would definitely make him spend hours and hours on faceoffs. The rest will all come with time IMO.

Also, he needs better linemates. I don't care how many points Baily, Beauvillier, Nelson or Eberle score, there is no current winger on the Islander roster that is real first line material. There is no partner there to push Barzal and match him in talent. I have some hope for Ho-Sang, a bit less for Bellows and a lot less for Dal Colle. Really, I think the only winger in the Isles entire system that has a good chance at being that star winger partner, star sniper to pair with Barzal is Wahlstrom. If I were Barzal or an Isles fan I would be dreaming of the day Wahlstrom is ready to come play in the NHL. I guess it could be as early as the end of this season, but more likely next season or the end of next season. All though, Ho-Sang has shown glimpses and Bellows seems like hes the kind of power forward that might take longer to mature. Eventually though, I think Bellows could be the perfect third partner for a Bellows - Barzal - Wahlstrom line. Which I think could be something special. But its going to be a while.

Anyway, he's having a down year. He's still a gem any team would be lucky to have. I think he's going to be a star for a very long time. All though, they definitely need to draft better. Outside of Barzal, Wahlstrom and probably Dobson, they have mostly had awful drafts. I guess you could throw Sorokin into that, but I worry about him coming to the US. Not to mention it is going to be years before he can even play in North America, and he will probably need time in the AHL.
But yea, they need to draft better. I have my fingers crossed that Dobson was the guy. A lot of terrific D in this years draft, not sure if he was the right one. Wahlstrom though, I have a lot of faith in.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006

"Also, he needs better linemates. I don't care how many points Baily, Beauvillier, Nelson or Eberle score, there is no current winger on the Islander roster that is real first line material. There is no partner there to push Barzal and match him in talent."

I don't know about that. Lee is top 10 in goals the past 2 and a half seasons. Certainly a legit first liner. I think Trotz is trying to spread out his lines but I'd like to see these 2 guys together for a stretch and see if Bailey or Eberle meshes.

Reactions: dood

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
While I think the world of Lee I agree with( brakeyawself ), stylistically there isn't anyone on the roster that compliments Barzal's skill. The closest one might be AB but I too believe he requires an upper echelon player along the lines of a Panarin to reach his full potential.
Much like you see in Toronto the traitor is enjoying a career year playing with high end talent.
Love lee very happy he's the captain and hope he gets extended soon.

Reactions: brakeyawself

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
There was no complaining last year about line mates no being good enough, now that he is not putting up the points like last years it’s his line mates. Just maybe it’s a sophomore slump or maybe he will never reach them numbers again.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
While I think the world of Lee I agree with( brakeyawself ), stylistically there isn't anyone on the roster that compliments Barzal's skill. The closest one might be AB but I too believe he requires an upper echelon player along the lines of a Panarin to reach his full potential.
Much like you see in Toronto the traitor is enjoying a career year playing with high end talent.
Love lee very happy he's the captain and hope he gets extended soon.
i am of the opinion that successful lines have different style players, except maybe regarding the power-play. a board/net-front guy (Lee/Cizikas/Ladd) with a passer (Barzal/Bailey/JHS) and a shooter (Nelson/Beau/Eberle) seems to work well.

i think it we put 3 of the same style together (e.g. Bailey/Barzal/JHS), it won't work well. but, one never knows until they are tried together.

i am happy with LT, who seems to be adept at finding combinations that work. and really, as long as we are winning, i could give jackshit about who is playing with who. i agree 100% that we need an infusion of talent, but i am satisfied with our progress so far.

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

"Also, he needs better linemates. I don't care how many points Baily, Beauvillier, Nelson or Eberle score, there is no current winger on the Islander roster that is real first line material. There is no partner there to push Barzal and match him in talent."

I don't know about that. Lee is top 10 in goals the past 2 and a half seasons. Certainly a legit first liner. I think Trotz is trying to spread out his lines but I'd like to see these 2 guys together for a stretch and see if Bailey or Eberle meshes.

Nothing against Lee, really, but how much of that can be attributed to having JT and Barzal last year and JT the year prior? His numbers are down this year in comparison. At least his goals. He's definitely one of the top 60 wingers in hockey. So yea, he would be on a 1st line for some team, but he's not on the high end of that. I think he's the type of player that can work off of a real talent like JT or Barzal, but he's not the level of talent that can have them work off him. When top talents play with one another it's more of a two way street of responsibility, rather than a player having to hold up his linemates to some extent. Wahlstrom could be that kind of player. Maybe Ho-Sang. Either way I think Lee would eventually settle on the 2nd line.

Just my opinion of course. Style and pace also come into it as others have stated. Look at at the difference in Toronto for example. Compare their players numbers from this year with JT to last year with just Kadri and Matthews. They have some fantastic wingers who had some great seasons prior. But now with JT and Matthews and Kadri? Their numbers are starting to equal their talent and guys like Marner and even Reilly can go off, especially on PP time. But also JT can work off of them and it shows in his game also.

StillAnIslesFan

Feb 26, 2010
Found this article yesterday cause i was curious what otherthought of him close to the draft, after he slipped in the rankings.
Explosive Mathew Barzal is a top-ten talent

They say he was the most complete player in that draft.
I have faith Trotz is turning him into all that.
His progress as a player this season is proving it already.
He will get smarter, and hopefully a bit bigger, in the next year or so. Then folks will put him in the franchise player talk, rather than an impact player.

Btw, love the bartzyuk nickname!

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
There was no complaining last year about line mates no being good enough, now that he is not putting up the points like last years it’s his line mates. Just maybe it’s a sophomore slump or maybe he will never reach them numbers again.
You mean he forgets how ro play hockey? Barzal is 21, and we are watching him develop under new coaching this year. He will surpass those rookie numbers, and will be a better player than any Islander since at least LaFontaine.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
3 points by Barzal. Just saw the highlights. 2 terrific shots for goals and a high quality assist. It's coming, it was just a matter of time.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
3 points by Barzal. Just saw the highlights. 2 terrific shots for goals and a high quality assist. It's coming, it was just a matter of time.
I thought his decision to pass to Baily when the goalie gave him an open net was a great indicator of his hockey mind. If he gets the puck his instinct is to look to pass shoot after looking if nobody is open. He had a wide open net a quick wrist shot would of been taken by anyone else on the team. It's bit painful to watch because he has a good shot it's not as if his shot is inaccurate or weak. The isles need him to be great, as good as tavares at least not just very good.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I thought his decision to pass to Baily when the goalie gave him an open net was a great indicator of his hockey mind. If he gets the puck his instinct is to look to pass shoot after looking if nobody is open. He had a wide open net a quick wrist shot would of been taken by anyone else on the team. It's bit painful to watch because he has a good shot it's not as if his shot is inaccurate or weak. The isles need him to be great, as good as tavares at least not just very good.

It took you over 100 games to figure out Barzal is a pass first hockey player. :clap:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Barzal is finally buying what Trotz is selling. It took time, but he's finally getting it. The production is also helped by the fact that Beauvillier no longer has his head up his ass and is playing well.

I noticed that Beauvillier is doing a lot more handling of the puck through the neutral zone and chipping in with zone entries. It has allowed Barzal to seek some open ice and really turn on the jets. His first goal is an example of this, there was no hesitation to shoot either which is a great sign. His second goal was a result of his defensive work, the slapshot was the icing on the cake to finish it like a Boss(y).

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Went to the game last night and my Chinese wife who doesn't even know how the game is played said to me "#13 just skates around everyone". She then asked me to google his picture. Couldn't stop talking about him for the rest of the night:confused:

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Barzal will go down as one of the best islanders ever. I really believe that. Will take him a while to adopt to Trots system which he finally is. Once he fully adapts look out although i do think islanders need an elite winger with Barzal. Not sure Wally is that guy. Would love Panrin with Matty.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Barzal is finally buying what Trotz is selling. It took time, but he's finally getting it. The production is also helped by the fact that Beauvillier no longer has his head up his ass and is playing well.

I noticed that Beauvillier is doing a lot more handling of the puck through the neutral zone and chipping in with zone entries. It has allowed Barzal to seek some open ice and really turn on the jets. His first goal is an example of this, there was no hesitation to shoot either which is a great sign. His second goal was a result of his defensive work, the slapshot was the icing on the cake to finish it like a Boss(y).
I hope Josh Ho-Sang gets the message too. Take some shots. It doesn’t make you a selfish teammate.

Reactions: PWJunior

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Barzal will go down as one of the best islanders ever. I really believe that. Will take him a while to adopt to Trots system which he finally is. Once he fully adapts look out although i do think islanders need an elite winger with Barzal. Not sure Wally is that guy. Would love Panrin with Matty.

another scary talent that can feed off of #13 would obviously make the NYI a strong team for a long time with Trotz behind the bench.. Barzal is just scratching the surface in my humble opinion

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
It took you over 100 games to figure out Barzal is a pass first hockey player. :clap:
Sorry there's a big flaw in a hockey player standing in front of a open net with the puck but he's unable to shoot it in untill he looks around for someone to pass to. The goalie gave him the puck he knew the goalie was not in the net. The net was 20 feet away instead he passes 40 feet to Bailey who had two guys on his tail. Its a big flaw if people are trying to say he's a great player, a John tavares. A 14 year old John tavares pops that in the net not looks for a teammate to do it for him.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Sorry there's a big flaw in a hockey player standing in front of a open net with the puck but he's unable to shoot it in untill he looks around for someone to pass to. The goalie gave him the puck he knew the goalie was not in the net. The net was 20 feet away instead he passes 40 feet to Bailey who had two guys on his tail. Its a big flaw if people are trying to say he's a great player, a John tavares. A 14 year old John tavares pops that in the net not looks for a teammate to do it for him.
In case you have not noticed he has been shooting the puck more and scored 2 nice goals on shots last night. He’s a pass first player that’s what he is. Never going to be an elite scorer. Never was in his career if you followed him at all.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

There are a few centers ahead of him. If he can put up JT, Lafontaine or Turgeon numbers, it would be nice but not likely.

Then there is Trottier.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Hard for me to know what to believe. I stupidly thought JT's 91 would be retired someday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad