Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
It will be interesting to see if this statistic improves. Remember that Trotz is evaluating and learning about his team and is Barzal is still developing as an NHL player.

-10 will not continue as a trend. I would say most would agree that Barzal will not end up -38 for the season and remember he was -1 after last season.

I expect Trotz and staff continue to work with Barzal on his defensive game and he will pick his spots and matchups in the future. I expect Barzal to finish better than -10 for the season.

It has already been stated this stat is not great at showing a players performance and if people want to emphasize -10 then also emphasize he has improved already going -7 is his first 7 games and -3 in his last 15 games.
Haha -3 in 15 games is -17 for the season you should work for some of these agents.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Sometimes he plays too fast for his own teammates. They don’t know where to go when he just takes off without a purpose or direction. He needs to use his skating more situationally so that his linemates can still be involved in the play more often.

Reactions: bigtim1988

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Sometimes he plays too fast for his own teammates. They don’t know where to go when he just takes off without a purpose or direction. He needs to use his skating more situationally so that his linemates can still be involved in the play more often.
i feel like this is where Trotz plays a big role (eventually).

find ways to free up linemates, if Barzy is being double teamed. set plays, and change it up constantly, to keep the defenders on their heels.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Like on the powerplay when he hip checked Clutter into the boards while carrying the puck?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
what is the max contract you'd offer him?
If you want to be taken seriously - probably 7Y/70M ... Panarin is an elite talent in the league and at 27, ripe to play a vital role. You could put him with Barzal immediately and adjust the rest of the lines to make it work, eventually the top-6 would be

Panarin-Barzal-Wahlstrom
Lee- 2C (Nelson?) - Bailey

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
If you want to be taken seriously - probably 7Y/70M ... Panarin is an elite talent in the league and at 27, ripe to play a vital role. You could put him with Barzal immediately and adjust the rest of the lines to make it work, eventually the top-6 would be

Panarin-Barzal-Wahlstrom
Don’t care who you get on forward, if you don’t upgrade on the defense it isn’t going to matter.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

Panarin-Barzal-Wahlstrom

Yes I think that offer earns you a place at the negotiation table. Since we're the Islanders, we might have to throw in the mandatory "Islanders juice" and boost maybe half a million to a million more per year.

Would also be helpful if Barclay's is completely out of the picture.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Yes I think that offer earns you a place at the negotiation table. Since we're the Islanders, we might have to throw in the mandatory "Islanders juice" and boost maybe half a million to a million more per year.

Would also be helpful if Barclay's is completely out of the picture.

In addition to the Brinks truck, the Islanders better come with a slick presentation as to how he (and his model girlfriend) can live the superstar life and still be back and forth to practice/games with relative ease.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Idk if it was powerplay or not but Barzal did a full lap around the O Zone and not one person, forward nor dman moved their feet to get open for him.
Barzal just needs a high octane scorer on his line. Panarin please.
Huge selling point honestly. He loved playing with Kane, he'll love playing with Barzal. Facts.

Reactions: beach and PWJunior

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
In addition to the Brinks truck, the Islanders better come with a slick presentation as to how he (and his model girlfriend) can live the superstar life and still be back and forth to practice/games with relative ease.

If anyone seems like a Rangers wannabe - it's this guy.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
In What Way Do You Compare Mathew Barzal To A Young Pat LaFontaine?

Phenomenal skaters
Similar phyically 5’10”- 6’ 180s pounds
Elusive, Dangerous in the offensive zone
Creates space, Great hockey instincts although I think Barzal needs to shoot more.
Strong puck carriers
Similar stats in first two season
Pat had a much better cast of teammates than Matt early on in his career.
Lafontaine was a better all around two way player and better nose for the net and
Lafontaine better in his own end but he had a master teaching him from Day 1.
Matt has that now in season 2

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
He tries to do too much and most of it’ On the perimeter in terms of dipsy doodling. He’s become predictable. Needs to use his line mates more.
not only that make the simple play , get it deep and cycle ... both him and beau have improved on the cycle this year , they could make that part of their game too ... barz really likes to stick handle at the top of the circle like u said

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Can you guys let me know how he's playing? I have him on my fantasy team and he's basically killing me. Is it just bad luck? Is he due for a Breakout?

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Can you guys let me know how he's playing? I have him on my fantasy team and he's basically killing me. Is it just bad luck? Is he due for a Breakout?

Trade him. You're conceiting too many categories (+/-, goals, pp points, etc.). No knock on MB. His performance is a product of the system he's now playing in, and I don't believe it will be changing anytime soon.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
In What Way Do You Compare Mathew Barzal To A Young Pat LaFontaine?

I don't know, but it's certainly *not* the first player that would come to mind especially stylistically. LaFontaine, especially early in his career, was an absolute bull heading to the net. He transformed himself into a playmaker later on in his career, but he was absolutely a goal scorer first. Crosby, who transformed himself into a goal scorer after starting a pure playmaker, reminds me the most of LaFontaine. Otoh, Barzal looks like Peter Stastny to me sometimes.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Trade him. You're conceiting too many categories (+/-, goals, pp points, etc.). No knock on MB. His performance is a product of the system he's now playing in, and I don't believe it will be changing anytime soon.

That's exactly it. We have 8 categories. He's not giving me goals, thereby no GWG (except that 1 OT winner, thank you), his +/- sucks, and he doesn't shoot. Basically 4 of the 8 categories he's getting annihilated in (can you believe my other #1 C is Kopitar and my #1 D is EK.... unreal).

Anyways, I was hanging onto him hoping for a bounce. I really like him as a player and figured a repeat of last year (or close to it) would be amazing, but I'm not quite sure if that level of production is in the cards.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That's exactly it. We have 8 categories. He's not giving me goals, thereby no GWG (except that 1 OT winner, thank you), his +/- sucks, and he doesn't shoot. Basically 4 of the 8 categories he's getting annihilated in (can you believe my other #1 C is Kopitar and my #1 D is EK.... unreal).

Anyways, I was hanging onto him hoping for a bounce. I really like him as a player and figured a repeat of last year (or close to it) would be amazing, but I'm not quite sure if that level of production is in the cards.

It's a transition year for him in a few different ways. I wouldn't be surprised if his goal totals increase later on in the season, but I wouldn't count on it. I'd trade him if you can.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
It's a transition year for him in a few different ways. I wouldn't be surprised if his goal totals increase later on in the season, but I wouldn't count on it. I'd trade him if you can.

Maybe in redraft. There’s no way I would move him in keeper or dynasty though. But back to real nhl. This certainly is a transition year for him and the team. I would expect a huge bounce back next season and beyond.

Reactions: PK Cronin

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I don't know, but it's certainly *not* the first player that would come to mind especially stylistically. LaFontaine, especially early in his career, was an absolute bull heading to the net. He transformed himself into a playmaker later on in his career, but he was absolutely a goal scorer first. Crosby, who transformed himself into a goal scorer after starting a pure playmaker, reminds me the most of LaFontaine. Otoh, Barzal looks like Peter Stastny to me sometimes.

You are going to laugh at me but he kinda reminds me of Adam Oates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad