Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Barzal needs to be better. He has scored once this season. The whole team needs to be better if they are trying to make the playoffs. Not getting help offensively is mind boggling.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Barzal needs to be better. He has scored once this season. The whole team needs to be better if they are trying to make the playoffs. Not getting help offensively is mind boggling.

I think he's going to score the game winner tonight.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Barzal is just warming up - yet he finds a way to rack up points. Just like last season when he was creating tons of chances but went scoreless through the first 5. When him and his linemates start capitalizing at even strength, watch out now.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Kid looked great during the Pens back to back playing against two hall of famers. Created a ton of chances. Just let it rip sometimes Barzal. I bet he has been told this since he was 10. Maybe younger. Great players tend to be stubborn sometimes, hope he can bend just a tad....

Reactions: WangMustGo

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Kid looked great during the Pens back to back playing against two hall of famers. Created a ton of chances. Just let it rip sometimes Barzal. I bet he has been told this since he was 10. Maybe younger. Great players tend to be stubborn sometimes, hope he can bend just a tad....

Tito started looking better last game as well. The flood gates will open soon.

It's amazing Barzal hasn't looked great and is still at a PPG pace.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I think Barzal is not finding as much room to operate at times. Greiss bailed him out for his giveaway to Crosby of all people in OT This season will be tougher on the kid with all eyes focused on him.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He will get back on track. I love that he's still able to put up points while not playing his best. Need his line to pick it up 5 on 5, they need to carry the offense when we have repetitive shifts in our D zone which they did last night. But his whole line is a minus and everyone else is basically a positive.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I thought Barzal was starting to motor last night. He had a tough 3rd period but overall he was effective yesterday. It will come for him sooner or later.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I thought Barzal was starting to motor last night. He had a tough 3rd period but overall he was effective yesterday. It will come for him sooner or later.

The past two he’s been motoring. Seems to have more space out there.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
He'll be fine...big adjustment for him this year, and we will see him adjust and improve as the year goes on...my only early concern is that he is passing up shots for forced passes.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Barzal is a sophomore and he is adjusting to a new coach. I have zero doubts he is going to build on his historic 85 pts Calder winning year once these adjustments take place. Trust me my Isles friends. I said the same things when there were doubters in his prospects thread when the naysayers said he would be touch and go on being a NHL player.

Nice article written here. I agree.

In taking a peek at Barzal’s underlying numbers, there’s evidence that there’s still work to be done. Regardless of all of that, however, Barzal’s 12 points through 14 games are still evidence enough that he is for real, and once he figures out the finer points of his game that’s when the real dominance will begin for Barzal, and the New York Islanders.

The Underlying Factors In Mathew Barzal's Sophomore Start

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Sharks fan here who doesn't watch any Islanders games but had a question on Barzal. Is he uncoachable? Selfish? Poor defensively? We have a poster who rips him all day on our board and I'm curious what fans of the team he plays for actually thinks of him from a personality/coachability perspective. Is he a one-dimensional offensive forward?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Sharks fan here who doesn't watch any Islanders games but had a question on Barzal. Is he uncoachable? Selfish? Poor defensively? We have a poster who rips him all day on our board and I'm curious what fans of the team he plays for actually thinks of him from a personality/coachability perspective. Is he a one-dimensional offensive forward?
Lmao no, fake news.

One of the most exciting parts of his game is bailing out the D and one man rushing it, in a one on one down low he joins, grabs the puck and is off on the races. It's terrific to watch.

Can he improve defensively? Big time, but it's lack of experience not work ethic. I think two or three games ago I forgot who we were playing, he tried to cover the guy in front but was like facing the wrong way. It was bad. But the effort was there, he tried, it was just bad. Still young, Trotz will teach him right and he's definitely willing to learn.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

That guy is Swiss and probably dedicates all of effort to justifying Meier over Barzal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad