Confirmed with Link: Matheson and a 4th for Petry and Poehling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I was trying to do a comparison on Poehling to John Leclair (both Canadian prospects) we know Leclairs career took off when he was traded to Philly.

Poehling 6'2 203
Leclair 6'3 225

Roughly same stature. Leclair was 26 when he was traded while Poehling is 23, so Poehling is still growing. But could you imagine if Poehling becomes the next Leclair and solves our 2LW.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I was trying to do a comparison on Poehling to John Leclair (both Canadians prospects) we know Leclairs career took off when he was traded to Philly.

Poehling 6'2 203
Leclair 6'3 225

Roughly same stature. Leclair was 26 when he was traded while Poehling is 23, so Poehling is still growing. But can you imagine if our 2LW was solved here with this trade.
While I have no expectations of him turning out to be a John LeClair I like what I have read about his game and think he could be a sneaky solid "throw in" for us.

Will be looking forward to seeing what he can/may be able to bring.

Reactions: Night Shift

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Contract negotiations aren’t always going or be pretty. That’s just the nature of business.

And just the fact that Sid, Geno, and Letang have the opportunity to start and finish their careers together says a lot. I don’t think anything like it has ever happened in modern professional sports history. I don’t know how much more appreciated they could possibly be without the owners just giving them the keys to the franchise.
Amen! Yes they are done so poorly that each of them want to spend their entire careers in the city of Pittsburgh with our penguins. I can't believe that Geno would subject himself to this level of depravity and be part of this vile Organization for his entire career. This clearly reflects poorly on his character! Sid must be blackmailing him, yeah that's it.😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I was trying to do a comparison on Poehling to John Leclair (both Canadians prospects) we know Leclairs career took off when he was traded to Philly.

Poehling 6'2 203
Leclair 6'3 225

Roughly same stature. Leclair was 26 when he was traded while Poehling is 23, so Poehling is still growing. But can you imagine if our 2LW was solved here with this trade.
Let’s give him a warped 2x4 from Home Depot and park him in front of the net.

My immediate expectations for Poehling is that he be should be a solid every day 4th liner. Mostly wing but center when there’s injuries. Would certainly help if he can somehow sneak his way onto the PK unit.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
yes, at his worst a point per game player making 6.1 million fleeced the Pens?

I think you need to rethink value in this league
First of all I was being facetious. That said I don't expect him to be a point-per-game player throughout the entire length and body of this contract. I also expect him to miss a lot of hockey. So if he's a point per game player which is fine, if he's playing that is. However, is it going to be for 40 or 50 games a year? or 70 or 80 games a year? That's a very legitimate question. You think about that now! Think about it!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Let’s give him a warped 2x4 from Home Depot and park him in front of the net.

My immediate expectations for Poehling is that he be should be a solid every day 4th liner. Mostly wing but center when there’s injuries. Would certainly help if he can somehow sneak his way onto the PK unit.
Habs fans absolutely detest this individual. And I promised them that I would not have any expectations whatsoever. They warned me that even a modicum of optimism over this particular player, would cause me great angst and disappointment. So I myself am not able to indulge in your level of hope in his potential.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
First of all I was being facetious. That said I don't expect him to be a point-per-game player throughout the entire length and body of this contract. I also expect him to miss a lot of hockey. So if he's a point per game player which is fine, if he's playing that is. However, is it going to be for 40 or 50 games a year? or 70 or 80 games a year? That's a very legitimate question. You think about that now! Think about it!
I wasn't getting your facetious vibe but admittedly didnt read back that far.

Sure there's plenty of fans here that question his injuries, I also think his knee injuries were kind of freak circumstances and when you get injuries' like that your going to miss some time.

Fair not to give him the benefit of the doubt but I am and am excited to see him back after a season where he didn't really even find his legs until just before the playoffs and that's even questionable

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I was trying to do a comparison on Poehling to John Leclair (both Canadian prospects) we know Leclairs career took off when he was traded to Philly.

Poehling 6'2 203
Leclair 6'3 225

Roughly same stature. Leclair was 26 when he was traded while Poehling is 23, so Poehling is still growing. But could you imagine if Poehling becomes the next Leclair and solves our 2LW.
I mean that is quite the reach don't you think? According to the habs fans here and I'm not saying that their word is Gospel, but they really have an aversion to this player. They think he's a lot like KK he plays on the outside, doesn't go to the dirty areas, low hockey IQ, kind of a mess.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I mean that is quite the reach don't you think? According to the house fans here and I'm not saying that their word is Gospel, but they really have an aversion to this player. They think he's a lot like KK he plays on the outside, doesn't go to the dirty areas, low hockey IQ, kind of a mess.

I don't expect it to happen but just hopeful. In 95 when Recchi was traded to MTL it was for Dionne, Dejardians and Leclair. Leclair was just supposed to be a throw in, Dionne being the better winger between the two at the time. But Dionnes career in Philly was short. Just pointing out that it almost reminds me of that.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I wasn't getting your facetious vibe but admittedly didnt read back that far.

Sure there's plenty of fans here that question his injuries, I also think his knee injuries were kind of freak circumstances and when you get injuries' like that your going to miss some time.

Fair not to give him the benefit of the doubt but I am and am excited to see him back after a season where he didn't really even find his legs until just before the playoffs and that's even questionable
To put things in proper context I was listening to Mark Madden today. And a guy I have a lot of respect for Jesse Marshall was his guest. They were discussing players and maybe I'm a little off on this, but I don't think so, Jesse was suggesting that there are 26 players who had the same tenure in the league as Malkin has. 26 such players and out of those 26 Malkin has played the fewest games. That to me is a pretty telling statistic.

I don't expect it to happen but just hopeful. In 95 when Recchi was traded to MTL it was for Dionne, Dejardians and Leclair. Leclair was just supposed to be a throw in, Dionne being the better winger between the two at the time. But Dionnes career in Philly was short. Just pointing out that it almost reminds me of that.
I hope it turns out that way, but again I promised Canadiens fans that I would not have any optimism whatsoever, so I'll have to do it in secret.

Reactions: Night Shift

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
To put things in proper context I was listening to Mark Madden today. And a guy I have a lot of respect for Jesse Marshall was his guest. They were discussing players and maybe I'm a little off on this, but I don't think so, Jesse was suggesting that there are 26 players who had the same tenure in the league as Malkin has. 26 such players and out of those 26 Malkin has played the fewest games. That to me is a pretty telling statistic.

I hope it turns out that way, but again I promised Canadiens fans that I would not have any optimism whatsoever, so I'll have to do it in secret.
Well sure. 2 knee injuries will do that to you. Some of the longer injuries to recover from.

I don't think Geno is soft by any means. It's unfortunate and could happen to anyone

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well sure. 2 knee injuries will do that to you. Some of the longer injuries to recover from.

I don't think Geno is soft by any means. It's unfortunate and could happen to anyone
Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not suggesting he soft, but let's face it he does miss a lot of hockey. And that is something that management as well as all of us have to consider. Which is why I think the contract and in particular the term were very generous.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
What if Malkin’s absence turns out to be a bit of what I like to call a Blessing in Disguise. Maybe other parts of his body have a little less of what I like to call Wear and Tear. This would help a little with his longevity in this scenario that I conjured up.

metalan2

May 30, 2008

That's all well and good but all 26 also have less points and playoff points than him too.

Reactions: vodeni

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That's all well and good but all 26 also have less points and playoff points than him too.
I think Backstrom came into the league at the same time. And don't remember where he is in relation to Gino with stats. And now he's about to miss a good chunk of games. Still, if you don't play can't help your team. So, with Malkin missing so many games, and getting older, and coming back from a serious knee injury, it's not exactly a big leap in believing he's going to miss a good chunk of games himself moving forward.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
What if Malkin’s absence turns out to be a bit of what I like to call a Blessing in Disguise. Maybe other parts of his body have a little less of what I like to call Wear and Tear. This would help a little with his longevity in this scenario that I conjured up.
He has the well rested biceps of a 22 yr old and ready to flex on these simps.

Reactions: Factorial

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
While I have no expectations of him turning out to be a John LeClair I like what I have read about his game and think he could be a sneaky solid "throw in" for us.

Will be looking forward to seeing what he can/may be able to bring.
Yeah his counting #s last year really are solid for being a 4th liner with only 50ish games on one of the worst teams in recent memory. Looking at NST he didn’t really have consistent linemates either. Not inconceivable for him to hit 30 points or more w/ better teammates and ice time. He has legitimate physical ability, athleticism and a good release on his shot.

He’s only played ~150 games in 3 years since turning pro due to Covid and injuries. Thats basically a lost season of development and the stereotype is the bigger bodies take longer.

I think there’s upside for the trade to net two NHL players instead of just Petry.

Flip side of that is maybe he plays less here though, and there’s a shorter leash on a winning team. That lost development time could’ve been permanently harmful. Maybe he doesn’t have the hockey sense despite the tools. And there’s a reason the Canadiens included him despite needing Cs for the last 30 years.

So who knows, but point is I don’t think he’s just interchangeable waiver fodder- yet.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I mean that is quite the reach don't you think? According to the habs fans here and I'm not saying that their word is Gospel, but they really have an aversion to this player. They think he's a lot like KK he plays on the outside, doesn't go to the dirty areas, low hockey IQ, kind of a mess.
Im setting my expectations at “any single contribution this kid gives us is a win” but I think that’s a classic “rip on the failed 1st RD guy we just traded” a bit from Habs fans. This is from the main boards in May and seemed to garner some agreement:

Poehling played pretty well for us this year. He brought strength, speed, defensive acumen, and he more than acquitted himself on a fourth line.

He is also cheap, under team control for multiple years, and likely won't be due for a big raise until at least two years from now, if ever.

Next year we will have many players pushing for spots, and Poehling may fall off the depth chart with an inbound first overall pick, probably a center, probably sticking with the club from the get-go. But he has still shown positive growth year after year, and could actually still be an important player for us in the future.

I actually thought he played better than Evans from December on or so this year.

So then, why would we trade Poehling when we could just slot him in at wing on the third/fourth line and have him play center if needed, giving us versatility and size/grit with still more potential to grow?

The short answer is that we would not trade Poehling unless we got a young-ish player for him that we like more, or some other enticing asset.

And since Poehling has yet to break out, teams won't be lining up to trade assets that we might view as being better than what we have in him, and a lateral move does basically nothing for us, so yeah.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Contract negotiations aren’t always going or be pretty. That’s just the nature of business.

And just the fact that Sid, Geno, and Letang have the opportunity to start and finish their careers together says a lot. I don’t think anything like it has ever happened in modern professional sports history. I don’t know how much more appreciated they could possibly be without the owners just giving them the keys to the franchise.
Not with those 3, as far as I can remember. Contracts were always uncontentious and settled earlier.

I agree that all 3 spending their whole careers together is hugely impressive, but that has at least as much to do with goodwill on the players' part, and it almost didn't happen with Malkin's last deal. Again, the Pens are very fortunate to have a captain like Crosby to smooth things over.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sounds like you're more interested in Malkin the player than the Penguins the team. Or am I wrong in that assessment? Still harboring resentment against the Penguins huh? Why not find another team, you know, since this one clearly is disappointing you and your delicate sensibilities.
Yes, as usual.

Think real hard about whether you can criticize a team's moves and still support them.

Or they can just look at the manner by which you post, you constantly take things out of context. I just wasn't aware you have a history of doing this with other posters. That doesn't change the fact however you were clearly doing it with me, and, for everybody to see. Carry on mate!
I'm still trying to recover from learning about the deluge of DMs about me.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yes, as usual.

Think real hard about whether you can criticize a team's moves and still support them.

I'm still trying to recover from learning about the deluge of DMs about me.
Criticizing a move like a trade or sending someone down to the minors is decidedly different than questioning their integrity when it comes to how they treat a player. I thought you'd be able to discern between those two completely and dynamically different scenarios. But yet again I gave you too much credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad