Prospect Info: Matej Pekar, C (OHL) Barrie Colts - Drafted 2018 (94 OA) , not qualified, signed AHL deal with Hartford

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Hes Hes an absolute pest, I love it. Hope he makes the team sooner rather than later. And really hope he's actually good at fighting cause with him fights seem inevitable.
Or he takes his game to another level and becomes a Marchand type player.. he’s got some skill.

Reactions: CacOBG

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Or he takes his game to another level and becomes a Marchand type player.. he’s got some skill.
He didnt strike me with great speed at the 3v3 so that is my main worry. Other than that he looked way better than I would normally expect from a 3rd/4th rounder that was just drafted.

Reactions: jc17

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It definitely wasn't just the pesting. He showed great skill and speed first. Then the ability to rattle put him over the top. That's what I liked. Branden Lemieux showed pest ability, but no where near speed and skill like that.

You're not always going to be on your game, so to be multi-dimensional is great.

My favorite non-Dahlin pick of 2018.

Last edited:

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
bloodsport.jpg

Say Maťej! (Edited, thanks Bustina)

Last edited:

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I love this guys game, he's skilled and gets under the skin of opposing players.

Hopeful.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
Greg Vorse's 1-on-1 with Matej Pekar

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Sabres 4th-round draft pick Matej Pekar speaks with Greg Vorse about his progress through development camp and his father's new eveningwear.

I love it. When asked about the physicality with Dahlin, there was a twinkle in his eye, which reminds me of a trait in some of the best pests in the NHL comparing them to wrestling a pig: "You both get muddy, but the pig likes it."

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Deleted member 27798

^^^ or is Pekar not college material, so he is going to play another year in the USHL, and then turn pro? Is that allowed by the CBA rules?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
^^^ or is Pekar not college material, so he is going to play another year in the USHL, and then turn pro? Is that allowed by the CBA rules?
Sure, he could turn pro right now if he and the team decided that was best for him. It's only players drafted from the CHL that have to be 20 years old to play AHL hockey.

I wish the Sabres would assign him to Barrie as they drafted him in the OHL draft. Staying in the USHL just feels like treading water to me.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
How does one watch the ushl? I’m seriously interested in following this kid, this year

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Sure, he could turn pro right now if he and the team decided that was best for him. It's only players drafted from the CHL that have to be 20 years old to play AHL hockey.

I wish the Sabres would assign him to Barrie as they drafted him in the OHL draft. Staying in the USHL just feels like treading water to me.
How many USHL kids play in their draft +1 year? It seems like not many.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I think this is a terrible decision. He needs to up his competition level to raise his game enough to think he has a shot professionally. I think Miami would be optimal but the CHL is better than USHL for getting more reps against better players.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think this is a terrible decision. He needs to up his competition level to raise his game enough to think he has a shot professionally. I think Miami would be optimal but the CHL is better than USHL for getting more reps against better players.
The USHL is fine. His game broke out massively in the USHL. It got him drafted. Now one more season there is terrible?

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The USHL is fine. His game broke out massively in the USHL. It got him drafted. Now one more season there is terrible?
Yeah one more season in a lower league is terrible. Unless he is on the 5 year plan. CHL or NCAA is a better option. He was drafted on potential, not remotely because he is a finished player. A year at his age can make or break a player like him. I follow the USHL. Sth. It is not comparable to the NCAA or the CHL. Fine for 16-17 yos but they usually move on to the NCAA or CHL. It is a bad move on his part impo.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Yeah one more season in a lower league is terrible. Unless he is on the 5 year plan. CHL or NCAA is a better option. He was drafted on potential, not remotely because he is a finished player. A year at his age can make or break a player like him. I follow the USHL. Sth. It is not comparable to the NCAA or the CHL. Fine for 16-17 yos but they usually move on to the NCAA or CHL. It is a bad move on his part impo.

Ogilvie played another year of USHL hockey before going on to Notre Dame and it worked out for him. Sounds like he's being smart instead of rushing his career. He's at least three years away so I'm fine with the decision. If I'm correct, I think it buys us another year of his rights, too.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I don’t know what the situation is with Miami and if he would have been effectively red-shirted or stuck on the 4th line. Either case it makes sense to return to USHL.

my understanding is ushl players and CHL junior/U18 league can go to ncaa while CHL players can’t.

After 18/19 he can opt to go to Rochester and play there on a sliding ELC.

I’m sure there have been many players who went from USHL to AHL as an 18 yr old

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad