Prospect Info: Matej Pekar, C (OHL) Barrie Colts - Drafted 2018 (94 OA) , not qualified, signed AHL deal with Hartford

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Black Book:

Pekar is a hard working two-way forward that can provide quality minutes in all situations for his team and is a player that his contributions might not always show up on the scoresheet despite being close to a PPG player for Muskegon in 17/18. Matej has a good motor that he uses to be effective on the fore-check. He has the ability to read and anticipate the play and uses his crafty stick work and relentless puck pursuit to turn pucks over as well as win puck battles. Pekar isn’t an explosive skater off the hop at this stage but has above average straight line speed, edges and good footwork in tight areas that allow him to be elusive with the puck on his tape. Pekar is able to drive possession in the offensive zone by using his body to protect the puck, has good vision of the zone and is able to distribute the puck to an open teammate and create a cycle game down low. Pekar likes to play more of a playmaking style and tries to set up his teammates for goals and will need to continue to develop his shot before he can become more of a scoring threat. Defensively Pekar is an asset for his team, his ability to win 50/50 pucks is an asset and he shows good effort on the back check as well as willingness to come back into his own end to provide support. Pekar isn’t physical on guys in the sense he will deliver big hits but he is good an initiating contact enough to gain just a little bit of separation in order to win loose pucks and clear pucks out of his own end.

“I got higher on this kid as the season went along, brings a consistent effort every night and a really smart 200 foot player, is effective in executing the little things on the ice.” HP Scout, Dusten Braaksma
“He’ll go to the net but I don’t like his skating mechanics.” NHL Scout, December 2017
“Skating mechanics are bad but he gets around and he’s got a shit load of points.most of which I attribute to hard work.” NHL Scout, January 2018
“Not that much skill there…4th or 5th rounder for me but I bet he goes higher.” NHL Scout, January 2018
“I like the way he plays…he’s a relentless player.” - NHL Scout, March 2018
“He’s one of the best in the USHl as far as forecheck and getting after pucks. He creates a lot of turnovers.” - NHL Scout, March 2018

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
ISS 65th:

Scouting Report | Pekar’s development curve throughout this season alone has been tremendous. He has played a lot of hockey on some big stages this year; being selected for Team Czech Republic at the Ivan Hlinka this past summer, plus U18 Five Nations and saved his best hockey for U18 Worlds and finishing with five points in seven games. Highly skilled intelligent and determined two-way forward who does the little things to win. This year in Muskegon he showed flashes of his offensive ability and was always a factor in his teams play, playing quality minutes in all situations. Committed to the Miami University Redhawks.

Director of Scouting, Dennis MacInnis | “Good complimentary player. Character type player that will excel in a checking role. Ceiling is third or fourth line checking role at NHL level. Really versatile, deceptively skilled, and he plays with grit. Never gives up regardless of the score. Teammates love him. Willing to go through the wall. Better than people think.”

ISS Scout Tim Zeches | “Hard working two-way center. Good skater has quick feet and decent speed. High compete level. Plays hard and with a bit of an edge. Not afraid to go to the net or the dirty areas. Strong on his stick. Plays a responsible game defensively.”

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
FC's write up:

An offensive forward, his skating is interesting – his soft, yet quick and deceptive, short strides allow him to travel around the ice in effortless fashion. His pace and speed are hard to match. In the offensive zone, he’s constantly around or with the puck. He’s got smooth hands and strong puck moments. He knows how to get shots through and on net. He knows how to pass, even if only a simple chip is required to up the puck. His offensive talent is rarely unnoticed by the opposition, but he manages to play through the checking attention. Whatever the circumstance, he handles and carries the puck with confidence. On the forecheck, with his skating, with his skill, he is ruthless in pursuit of the puck. He hustles for pucks and keeps his feet moving, an intimidating sight for defenders trying to cleanly break out. Even if his game is heavily offensive, he doesn’t cheat in his own zone. Not noticeably bad. He makes a concerted effort on backchecks. And he’s every bit as tenacious in the defensive zone as he is while on the attack, all of which makes him a very complete player. His intensity is consistent from shift to shift, and from night to night. However, he could stand to add a more physical element to his arsenal. His strength, too, must be improved for him to have any success at the next level.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
42 of 54 points at ES.

Quote I have of him: An offensive, plamaking depth forward with decent size and skill.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Like it. Scoring touch and doesn't shy away from the dirty areas.

Tried to find some video of him on youtube, but there really isn't anything. He speaks English well though. :dunno:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Absolutely love this pick , Botterill is killing it . Wanted Alan Mcshane who the Habs took 3 picks later but absolutely stocked about this pick. USHL rookie of the year and committed to Miami . Botts loves these NCAA players and I don’t Him after the success he had with the Pens

Killing it? Uh. Huh.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
3rd round pick, I expect nothing. Hopefully the scouts did the hard work for me

By the book he seems like girgs 2.0, maybe we develop him better

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Sounds like a Pittsburgh Penguins pick. Doesn’t look like much but is responsible and goes to the net to pot 20+ goals next to Eichel.

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
3rd round pick, I expect nothing. Hopefully the scouts did the hard work for me

By the book he seems like girgs 2.0, maybe we develop him better
Do you expect anything if he is a 4th round pick ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad