Masterton Trophy

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Erik Johnson for the Avs. Years back he was diagnosed with a life changing condition that would alter his ability to play the game but he pushed on and has made a career out of it. That condition is the unwavering hatred of shin-pads. Just when you think his condition is improving...he blasts another shot right into the first set of shin-pads in front of him.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
I don’t think Mcdavid deserves this trophy. He deserves due respect, sure. Why does he deserve this trophy?

A documentary, an injury that doesnt require surgery and isnt career threatening, a full off-season to recover and rehabilitate from said injury... a great player.

am i missing something?

YYC

Feb 23, 2015
After watching that Sportnet Mcdavid piece, is there any doubt he doesn't get it....:shakehead

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Zuccarello should get 2 of them after he was robbed in favor of Jagr a few years back. 1 because he deserved it initially, and a 2nd because of the grave injustice he suffered.

In 2015 Kris Letang came back from a potentially career ending, if not life ending, medical condition to perform at a level garnering consideration for the Norris. Instead of awarding him the Masterton it was given to average career journeyman goaltender Devan Dubnyk apparently for playing above average for once in his career.

I don’t think Mcdavid deserves this trophy. He deserves due respect, sure. Why does he deserve this trophy?

A documentary, an injury that doesnt require surgery and isnt career threatening, a full off-season to recover and rehabilitate from said injury... a great player.

am i missing something?

But he's Connor McDavid, he deserves the Masterton because HE'S CONNOR MCDAVID.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

am i missing something?

Doctors told him he needed surgery and likely misses the entire season, and MAYBE is good to come back next year in the middle of the 20-21 season. He worked 10 hrs a day to rehab an injury in a way that has never been done by anyone ever, taking personal risks, in order to not miss a game.

His decision making, risk taking, committed hard work and dedication allowed him to not miss a single game instead of potentially 120. It was truly an other worldy effort.

Reactions: thedustman

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In 2015 Kris Letang came back from a potentially career ending, if not life ending, medical condition to perform at a level garnering consideration for the Norris. Instead of awarding him the Masterton it was given to average career journeyman goaltender Devan Dubnyk apparently for playing above average for once in his career.
I remember in 2012 Max Pacioretty won the Masterton and it was due to how high a profile the hit he got from Zdeno Chara was, even though Joffrey Lupul deserved it more. People forget that Lupul had 2 back surgerys, an infection and his career was almost finished a lot earlier.

Reactions: leafsgirl12

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
McDavid is a finalist, that's for sure

How the hell is he playing like that with a torn ligament?

He would completely dominate the league if he hadn't had the bright idea of crashing the net in a meaningless game?

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
Seeing how Ian Laperriere won it in 2011 (also with the Flyers0, despite not playing the year at all, that shouldn't be an issue. Not a decision I liked: while I understand the causes behind him missing the season, the trophy should go to someone who actually played.
Didn't Laperriere serve as a off ice mentor to younger players in 2011 though so even though he never played he was able to help out the team as a mentor .

Reactions: Crosstraffic

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
Tyler Motte or Jacob Markstrom should be the canucks nominee

Tyler Motte : recently opened up about living with depression and anxiety

Jacob Makstrom : playing well after losing his dad to cancer earlier this season and also losing a good friend suddenly a few months ago.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Doctors told him he needed surgery and likely misses the entire season, and MAYBE is good to come back next year in the middle of the 20-21 season. He worked 10 hrs a day to rehab an injury in a way that has never been done by anyone ever, taking personal risks, in order to not miss a game.

His decision making, risk taking, committed hard work and dedication allowed him to not miss a single game instead of potentially 120. It was truly an other worldy effort.
I liked this, but i’m not sure if it was for the right reason. There is a lot of privilege in this thread and the masterton is about a completely different thing.
Mcdavid is amazing. The cup is what he needs to get. He is a great figure for a documentary like this to be made, but if they made a Johns documentary... i’m afraid that’d only be the tip of the iceberg

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
It was Giordano who tripped him and sent McDavid flying towards the net

Yes, but everyone knows that crashing the net that hard is never the safest play to do.

Everyone is going to the net at the same time with the puck, doing that year in, year out will get you a bunch of injuries during the career, even if no one would trip you, just by colliding with other players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad