TV: MasterChef 2023 - United Tastes Of America

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So far so good. Really liking the new judge and think she's fitting quite nicely.

Also liking that the constestants aren't being total dicks to each other but very supportive (except maybe Tommie and Katrina).

This time they didn't spoil the winner of the team challenge in the preview either.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Also liking that the constestants aren't being total dicks to each other but very supportive (except maybe Tommie and Katrina).

This time they didn't spoil the winner of the team challenge in the preview either.

Yah, they are being very supportive right now. I think that will change though as the field narrows down and the cooks create some rivalries.

Is it just me or did they start with a lot more contestants this year? Maybe I'm just getting thrown off here because I recently watched MC Canada and they only had like 12 iirc.

Not sure how you peeps can watch the previews for the next episode! They didn't ruin anything this time as you say but more often than not they do. I always turn it off right when the show ends and always fast forward at the start of the episodes when they give you a bit of info on what's to come.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Yah, they are being very supportive right now. I think that will change though as the field narrows down and the cooks create some rivalries.

Is it just me or did they start with a lot more contestants this year? Maybe I'm just getting thrown off here because I recently watched MC Canada and they only had like 12 iirc.

Not sure how you peeps can watch the previews for the next episode! They didn't ruin anything this time as you say but more often than not they do. I always turn it off right when the show ends and always fast forward at the start of the episodes when they give you a bit of info on what's to come.

My memory is pretty bad admittedly but sometimes I'll see a character or two in these shows 2-3 episodes in and I'll be like "who is that guy? he was on the show already?"

The editors sometimes give people such little screen time prior to being the focus of an episode I come away questioning if they were really there to begin with :laugh: Obviously some people are just more entertaining than others and thus will get more screen time, other people won't see a peep of screen time until they do something entertaining.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Did I miss something or was it corn that was in the pulp fiction box. What was the advantage this week, other than making Stephen your enemy.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Stephen is the kind of character that makes you wonder if he's a real contestant or a hired actor. He's a little out there...

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Did I miss something or was it corn that was in the pulp fiction box. What was the advantage this week, other than making Stephen your enemy.

The winner got to choose whether his other contestants had to use corn to make a savory dish or a sweet one.

Of course, I think he wasted it. His reasoning was "The good cooks will succeed with savory or sweet, so it doesn't matter what I give them. The bad cooks will struggle with sweet, so I'll give them sweet."

Couldn't it have just as easily been said that the bad cooks will struggle with savory or sweet, so it doesn't matter what you give them, but some good cooks might struggle with sweet?

Also, when you have fresh corn available, who the **** uses canned corn?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Damn, the first episode she gets any proper air time and Ailsa gets sent home by a very narrow margin. The irony in that was that if Shelly hadn't been so incompetent as a captain and the blue team hadn't missed out on 8 plates, they might have won the team challenge, since their dish seemed to be very good. If only Derrick had taken over earlier...

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Damn, the first episode she gets any proper air time and Ailsa gets sent home by a very narrow margin. The irony in that was that if Shelly hadn't been so incompetent as a captain and the blue team hadn't missed out on 8 plates, they might have won the team challenge, since their dish seemed to be very good. If only Derrick had taken over earlier...

Shelly was an absolute joke. Then she wonders why everyone threw her under the bust? :shakehead

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Shelly was an absolute joke. Then she wonders why everyone threw her under the bust? :shakehead

:laugh:

Yeah, something tells me Stephen wouldn't have done the same thing had his team lost the challenge. Tommie's reactions though were hilarious, the ego on that guy. :laugh: If he gets to be team captain on any challenge... :popcorn:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

I hate how they try to manufacture drama on the show between contestants. The judges knew that Shelly failed the challenge as team captain. But then they give her immunity from the elimination challenge and allow her to pick the other 3 who will be safe? And then they're shaking their heads when she's picking the worst team members to be safe? YOU GAVE HER THE POWER TO PICK! It's so dumb sometimes.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Team captain almost always gets immunity...

Anyways, just because they gave her the power to pick doesn't mean they can't shake their heads at her stupid decisions. Without Christopher and the drummer they would have been absolutely murdered in that challenge. The only reason that it was close was because those two stepped up.

Oh well, Shelley is just filler for for he show as she has absolutely zero chance at winning.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

I had a feeling she would be the one to go. The drummer and Christopher have been getting lots of airtime which to me says they are going to be going deep into the show.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
When that happens, i usually expect that person to go off.

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
I was kind of rooting for Shelly but I really don't like how she treated the team members that almost saved her ass. Like the drummer said though, if you're going to do a pressure test, there's really no better place to do it than one of Ramsay's restaurants. Not many can say that.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I hate how they try to manufacture drama on the show between contestants. The judges knew that Shelly failed the challenge as team captain. But then they give her immunity from the elimination challenge and allow her to pick the other 3 who will be safe? And then they're shaking their heads when she's picking the worst team members to be safe? YOU GAVE HER THE POWER TO PICK! It's so dumb sometimes.

I really didn't like this episode for that reason last night. All these chefs are here to win the money, and for the most part it's very individual, but the judges penalize the whole time for the team captains incompetence and it happens a lot on this show. You shouldn't be sent home if you didn't suck on a team that did. You should be able to control your own destiny.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
An aspect i like more about Hell's Kitchen is that Ramsay will stop and call out these types of moves.

What Shelley tried to do pretty much negates the idea of finding the next Masterchef since she tried to take out some of the strongest ones.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I really didn't like this episode for that reason last night. All these chefs are here to win the money, and for the most part it's very individual, but the judges penalize the whole time for the team captains incompetence and it happens a lot on this show. You shouldn't be sent home if you didn't suck on a team that did. You should be able to control your own destiny.

Thing is you do control your destiny. You just gotta cook well in the pressure test :).

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
An aspect i like more about Hell's Kitchen is that Ramsay will stop and call out these types of moves.

What Shelley tried to do pretty much negates the idea of finding the next Masterchef since she tried to take out some of the strongest ones.

On the bright side, she shot herself in the foot and took out one of her own allies instead. So now she has a larger target on her back.

Honestly, she was pitiful. If not for Derrick, she would've lost by a landslide just because she didn't have enough plates.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
On the bright side, she shot herself in the foot and took out one of her own allies instead. So now she has a larger target on her back.

Honestly, she was pitiful. If not for Derrick, she would've lost by a landslide just because she didn't have enough plates.

Or had those plates been served, Derrick could have lead them to victory since their dish seemed to be well liked?

Any info on why Dan had to leave the show early? Family emergency/illness or something else?

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It should also be noted that Shelly earned the Team Captain and the immunity by having the one of the two best dishes in the previous episode, so it's not like the judges were completely off in giving her that decision.

I would have had a lot more respect for her if she had simply said: This is a competition, and I want to get the strongest competitors out, so I'm leaving Chris, the drummer, Ailsa, and the other girl for the pressure test. Instead, she comes up with ******** reasons about how well everyone else performed during the Vegas part.

Oh well. At least Shelly seems to recognize she's one of the weaker chefs left.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Glad they did a double elimination and I wish there were more episodes that show the judges actually cooking with the contestants. I agreed with who went home this week.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think that lady actually de-elevated a TV dinner into something less than one. That was just horrid plating.

Enjoying this season so far but this show could really stand to do with a 2 hour format. They can't fit nearly enough in in their 42 minute time slot; a lot of the contestants get minimal, if any air time and most of the time we only get to see what a select handful cooked in the elimination tests. Makes it hard to gauge most of the cooks besides the one's that are constantly near the top or near the bottom.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think that lady actually de-elevated a TV dinner into something less than one. That was just horrid plating.

Enjoying this season so far but this show could really stand to do with a 2 hour format. They can't fit nearly enough in in their 42 minute time slot; a lot of the contestants get minimal, if any air time and most of the time we only get to see what a select handful cooked in the elimination tests. Makes it hard to gauge most of the cooks besides the one's that are constantly near the top or near the bottom.

There was a lot of deleted scenes on the shows official Youtube channel last season, I wish they used that more to put stuff they couldn't fit on air.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad