"Massive Shake-up Looms" | 2013 Summer Trade & Signing Talk - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0e

Jun 8, 2013
That's basically the exact same lineup...you wanna let Dupuis AND Iginla go in the favor of Cooke and Korpikoski....

The only reasoning I can take from that is that Bylsma is still coaching

Dupuis' in the lineup.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't think we'll be finding a top 6 forward on the market this year.

I'm almost certain we won't be able to afford Horton and even someone like Valtteri Filpulla is looking for $5m.

Which is part of the reason why I think giving Iggy a chance to play with Sid is our best bet.

BigBadBoris

Apr 3, 2012
I hope we don't re- sign Dupuis. I really like Dupuis and would like him to play on the third line. But we all know that Dupuis will be glued to Sid's hip if he's still on this team and we need to find someone that can create a little bit on his own on that line.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I don't think we'll be finding a top 6 forward on the market this year.

I'm almost certain we won't be able to afford Horton and even someone like Valtteri Filpulla is looking for $5m.

Would we be fine letting Dupuis go for Horton?

I honestly would be

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I hope we don't re- sign Dupuis. I really like Dupuis and would like him to play on the third line. But we all know that Dupuis will be glued to Sid's hip if he's still on this team and we need to find someone that can create a little bit on his own on that line.

I agree.

The only way I want Dupuis back is if Dan is gone and the new coach recognizes that he's not a top 6 forward on a playoff team.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
did you watch the last 4 games...

I'm not saying this TO YOU, just to the board in general

it's not just the last 4 games. Look at Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis' production as a line in the entirety of the playoffs.

Now, I'm not putting the full blame on them. Kunitz - Malkin - Neal, everyone's flavor of the month, put up, I THINK, 1 goal total as a line in their entire time together in the playoffs.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Sure, but the way I see it we could have Dupuis and Iggy for $7-$7.5m as opposed to just Horton at around $6m.

I think keeping Iggy and signing Horton would be 9.5m, trade Nisky or Orpik and we might be able to squeeze them in

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I definitely wouldn't break that line up, just because of four bad games.

I'm not. As I said in my previous post, KCD didn't produce much at all in any of the series. Most of the ES production came in Sid's 1st 2 games back

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

It wasn't just four bad games.

Do you know when the last time Dupuis and Kunitz had a goal assisted by Crosby was?

Sometimes it sucks that Crosby is so good. He tricks people into thinking that it's okay for him to have subpar linemates.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010

:laugh: :biglaugh:

that is a regular season line, they get ****ed over in the playoffs, they had more than 4 bad games, try 8 going back to the first round

BigBadBoris

Apr 3, 2012
I'm honestly not sure if Bennett is naturally a LW or RW. He's played LW all year here with the exception of one game and looked pretty good though. There's really not any free agent forwards that I think would be both affordable and a good fit for us in terms of the top six.

Yeah, he did really well on the left side too. I really don't know which side he is better on. If Bennett plays with with Sid and keeps on progressing, I think there would be enough creativity on that line, which would allow the third wheel to be a big bodied mucker who can crash the net and win some board battles without the need to be particullary skilled

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not saying this TO YOU, just to the board in general

it's not just the last 4 games. Look at Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis' production as a line in the entirety of the playoffs.

Now, I'm not putting the full blame on them. Kunitz - Malkin - Neal, everyone's flavor of the month, put up, I THINK, 1 goal total as a line in their entire time together in the playoffs.

And how much time was that?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I think keeping Iggy and signing Horton would be 9.5m, trade Nisky or Orpik and we might be able to squeeze them in

Eh, I can't imagine signing Iggy for $3.5m that'd be awesome if we could but I feel like it'll have to be $4m.

And I want to trade Nisky no matter what. Paying him $2.3m to be kind of awful on our third pairing doesn't sound fun to me :laugh:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

4 games or something like that, I think. Look, I've said that that should be the Malkin Line next year, I'm just pointing out that it's not guaranteed orgasm every time it steps on the ice. I like to deal in reality, and sometimes that means dialing down the myths a notch

j0e

Jun 8, 2013
Despite not putting up production, I thought they didn't look that bad against the Islanders or Senators. Dupuis was definitely the best player on that line against Boston.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, he did really well on the left side too. I really don't know which side he is better on. If Bennett plays with with Sid and keeps on progressing, I think there would be enough creativity on that line, which would allow the third wheel to be a big bodied mucker who can crash the net and win some board battles without the need to be particullary skilled

The way I see it, Beau has the ability to be Kunitz-lite and win board battles. He did it this year, but unlike Kunitz he has so much creativity and great playmaking ability. I'd want the other winger on a Beau-Sid line to be a finisher.

2.5 games :D

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
new random thought

If Bylsma's back, I don't want "insane" depth like they had this year. I want 2 smart, logical, great top lines and then a nice bottom-6 with 1 or 2 players who can step up in case of injuries. That's why I'd keep a guy like Jokinen around, because he can move up and down as needed.

Keep the decisions simple. No one's toes will get stepped on. I don't want bums in the bottom-6, but people like Cooke and Sutter and Vitale, Bottom-6 players who don't care that they are bottom-6 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad