Mason Raymond appreciation thread!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'd rather have Ballard as a 6th defensemen then Booth as a 10th forward.

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows
Higgins/Kesler/Kassian
Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen

Can Booth crack that top 9? I guess we'll see.

And that's a very valid take. Ballard has played his way into being regarded as such. Booth will have to do the same. However, call it a gut feeling, but I think Booth will be a Canuck for a very long time. Just the way I think it will pan out. Guess we'll see this offseason.

Nov 1, 2011
You have Higgins in Booth's spot. I'm guessing once he's back this year, he'll show why he's a top 6 forward.

Yep, Booth is becoming very underrated.

I'm not a big fan of his but he's a lot better than people around here give him credit for.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
For argument's sake, this line-up would give the Canucks 2.3 million to sign a 6th/7th defenseman:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($2.200m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.900m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Mason Raymond ($3.200m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.200m) / Dale Weise ($0.725m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.650m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Alexander Edler ($5.000m)
Chris Tanev ($1.450m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,945,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,355,000

Feasible, but not realistic. I think it's conceivable Gillis looks to make roster upgrades by moving Raymond even mid season this year, depending on how negotiations go. I guess we'll see, but it's a good problem to have.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
People are so what have you done for me lately about this. It's clear that Higgins has had a very rusty start whereas Raymond has had a fantastic one-- You cannot make these decisions based on that.

In my opinion, the Higgins of all of last year and this current version of Raymond are neck and neck. I personally have more faith that Higgins will play like that when it counts than Raymond keeping this up when things get tough. We haven't really seen Raymond play well in the playoffs at all yet.

I wouldn't be so quick to say it's an easy choice, but I'm most likely leaning towards Higgins at this point.

The thing in Raymond's favor is that he has the potential to take a step forward and become an even better player, whereas Higgins probably does not-- if that happens, it's a no brainer. But that's a huge huge if to bank on.

Last edited:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
People are so what have you done for me lately about this. It's clear that Higgins has had a very rusty start whereas Raymond has had a fantastic one-- You cannot make these decisions based on that.

In my opinion, the Higgins of all of last year and this current version of Raymond are neck and neck. I personally have more faith that Higgins will play like that when it counts than Raymond keeping this up when things get tough. We haven't really seen Raymond play well in the playoffs at all yet.

I wouldn't be so quick to say it's an easy choice, but I'm most likely leaning towards Higgins at this point.

This.

Agree with the rest. I would lean towards Higgins over Raymond as well. Higgins just seems more comfortable in tight checking games and those are all we usually see come playoff time.

I think David Booth is going to have to fight for his job this season. He's in tough against some pretty good depth.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
I'd take Higgins over Raymond for one reason. When things get really rough, Raymond can tend to shy away.

Higgins on the other hand...

Outside99*

Raymond is seeing the ice much better this year. He was well positioned to pot that goal/tonight.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Raymond is seeing the ice much better this year. He was well positioned to pot that goal/tonight.

He still has lapses of tunnel vision on occasion (like when he skated himself into a corner and got nailed by a D-man) but his chemistry with Hansen and Schroeder is evident.

ZenMaster*

I want him back next year if he continues this play. He has evidently improved his shot, drives to the net, can stick handle himself out of a phone booth, and is one of the fastest players in the league.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I'd rather have both of them over Booth. :handclap:
Higgins goes ****ing beast mode in the playoffs. We wouldn't have gotten to the SCF without him and lappy.

Booth and Raymond were great vs LA, while Higgins was turribles.

All 3 is quite fine with me tho.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He had a heck of a game tonight. Scored the big goal, and nearly set up ~3 others. Taking the puck to the front of the net, using his speed to make space, and playing with confidence to carry the puck through traffic.

Thus far this season, it looks like the lockout did him some good.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
:laugh: This conversation is moot because God willing we will have all 3 in the playoffs.
Also that video above of Higgins is really bad.

I don't want to think about the circumstances in which he did it, but that's not the kind of player Higgins is. Was shocked as anyone when it happened.

As for which one of Higgins or Raymond to keep, I think the Nucks will look at who performs well in the playoffs first. So far Higgins has the advantage. Of course I'd love to keep both - will they take less to stay on a strong team looking to contend perennially?

Then again Raymond shone tonight against the Blues, and they play the kind of hockey that's only going to be more and more prevalent in the West and in the playoffs. So we'll see. :)

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Booth and Raymond were great vs LA, while Higgins was turribles.

All 3 is quite fine with me tho.

Higgins and Raymond > Booth

Higgins is great along the boards and in the corners for dump and chase hockey. You need that for the playoffs but Raymond has a possession type game which is hard to find in the league.

What really sets Raymond apart from Higgins and Booth is his ability to drive the play with the puck on his stick. Right now the guy is money when receiving entry passes from Schroeder or the D-men. He takes them cleanly and goes in with a lot of speed which drives the defenders back. This team needs to keep a guy with that kinda skill-set. If he can keep this up, I think he makes Booth expendable.

While Booth is good at driving the net when he's carrying the puck himself, from what I've seen last year he is terrible at receiving passes on blueline entries, that's one if the things (along with his inability to make plays for others) that makes me believe Raymond is a better option. Who knows though, Booth could surprise us when he comes back. :dunno:

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Wait people don't think Booth fits in the top 9? He's probably only 1/3-4 Canucks who can drive play on their own. He will prove people wrong last year was an adjustment and he had an injury iirc

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I don't want to think about the circumstances in which he did it, but that's not the kind of player Higgins is. Was shocked as anyone when it happened.

As for which one of Higgins or Raymond to keep, I think the Nucks will look at who performs well in the playoffs first. So far Higgins has the advantage. Of course I'd love to keep both - will they take less to stay on a strong team looking to contend perennially?

Then again Raymond shone tonight against the Blues, and they play the kind of hockey that's only going to be more and more prevalent in the West and in the playoffs. So we'll see. :)

I think It depends on the line structure AV and MG wants (If they are happy running Raymond on the third line) and also what I think is the biggest issue is who is prepared to sign to the cheapest cap hit. I think They try and get Kassian up two the second line next year to play right side and keep Booth on the Left.

Also on Booth do people realize that he is a LW playing on the wrong side with a Awful Kesler and broke back Raymond last year, Also he was awesome before the injury.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Assuming similar contracts, Raymond is more valuable than Higgins

It's not even because of this season

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
For argument's sake, this line-up would give the Canucks 2.3 million to sign a 6th/7th defenseman:

Feasible, but not realistic. I think it's conceivable Gillis looks to make roster upgrades by moving Raymond even mid season this year, depending on how negotiations go. I guess we'll see, but it's a good problem to have.

If Tanev takes .15 less than your projection, leaving him at 1.3m, then that leaves 2.5m to sign a 6th and 7th Dman. 1m each. That's seems realistic with a dropping cap. Teams are going to cheap out on some positions and it may very well come down to spending 1m~ on the 6th Dman here. Nothing wrong with that.

Higgins and Raymond at 5.5m total seems like good compensation.

Wizeman*

This.

Agree with the rest. I would lean towards Higgins over Raymond as well. Higgins just seems more comfortable in tight checking games and those are all we usually see come playoff time.

I think David Booth is going to have to fight for his job this season. He's in tough against some pretty good depth.

I drop David Booth and keep Raymond and Higgins

Janice2625

Feb 18, 2013
Vancouver
WoW, so many Booth haters. Im shocked.

Im not sure there's another guy on the team who will drive the net like him other than maybe Kes.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a move with Raymond coming (value's at an all time high maybe)...But don't laugh at me lol, Im just a lil gal who plays favorites. lol :*)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad