Mason Raymond appreciation thread!

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah

but I'm not going to disagree that he is more frustrating

expectations are lower with Higgins
Can't blame me for being a little skeptical about that.

From where I'm standing, Raymond has more potential than Higgins, but he's only had two really strong years (if we're including this one already), which in my mind is on par, if not only a little bit better than what Higgins did last year. Every other year, while he's managed to put up points, he hasn't looked like anything to write home about. He hasn't had a single strong playoff yet, whereas he's had several awful ones. Higgins has been more or less very solid overall every time he's been put in that situation.

I understand why someone would lean towards Raymond, but I think when you add up the totals, they're at the very least extremely close-- I would probably give the edge to Higgins.

Last edited:

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
WoW, so many Booth haters. Im shocked.

Im not sure there's another guy on the team who will drive the net like him other than maybe Kes.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a move with Raymond coming (value's at an all time high maybe)...But don't laugh at me lol, Im just a lil gal who plays favorites. lol :*)

I could see it. I could also see Schroeder getting traded in time. Gillis seems to have a penchant for buying low and selling high. It certainly upsets fans, as this market falls in love with players after a handful of good games, and hates them after one bad one.

Alflives*

I could see it. I could also see Schroeder getting traded in time. Gillis seems to have a penchant for buying low and selling high. It certainly upsets fans, as this market falls in love with players after a handful of good games, and hates them after one bad one.

Schroeder fills a role in the bottom 6, and he is cheap (ELC). He's not going anywhere, unless the return is a #1 D, and that's not happening. So, Schroeder stays.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
People always say stuff like this but it only happens when the player doesn't fit. What is the evidence of this anyways?

Lowkey

Nov 24, 2006
Ehrhoff, Higgins and Lapierre should qualify too. MG loves the bargain bin.

Definitely a lot of buy low type moves but would is there any other sell high moves other than the Hodgson trade?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Definitely a lot of buy low type moves but would is there any other sell high moves other than the Hodgson trade?

No. Selling high works in stocks but trading good hockey players that are playing well is counter productive to what we're trying to do here. Gillis went about inflating Hodgson's value when he decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. In general I think you get guys you like and keep them when they do well.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
Booth is one of the few 'crash and bash' while 'driving to the net' players we have. His speedy and reckless. He opens up ice for his teammates and is fearless in standing in front of the net. Why on earth would MG trade him away?

I don't see why any of the players need to be traded. Look at the nuck injury history in the playoffs. We need as many able bodied players that we can get.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Ballard in the offseason? :dunno:

I could see it.
Cap is coming down, and the 2 guys I see moving are Luongo and Ballard due to their big cap hit.
Ballard really helped his case by playing well this season.
However, I don't think he will ever get back the same value that the Canucks acquired him for, which was a 1st rounder, a roster player, and an almost ready prospect.

Last edited:

Alflives*

Booth is one of the few 'crash and bash' while 'driving to the net' players we have. His speedy and reckless. He opens up ice for his teammates and is fearless in standing in front of the net. Why on earth would MG trade him away?

I don't see why any of the players need to be traded. Look at the nuck injury history in the playoffs. We need as many able bodied players that we can get.

Excellent post! Finally someone who realizeds that playing hockey 'hard' makes it difficult on the other team, and is a valuable asset for a player to have. I don't think there are any teams looking at their calenders, and thinking, "Oh crap, here come the Canucks. This game is going to be a tough one." The Canucks top minute forwards are too soft. And their D top minute eaters are way too soft. Excepting Bieksa.

Lowkey

Nov 24, 2006
No. Selling high works in stocks but trading good hockey players that are playing well is counter productive to what we're trying to do here. Gillis went about inflating Hodgson's value when he decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. In general I think you get guys you like and keep them when they do well.

I completely agree and believe the reason we don't see more of this in hockey compared to baseball is twofold. Gillis isn't operating with as tight of a budget as Billy Beane and hockey GM's value locker room chemistry more than a baseball GM does.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I completely agree and believe the reason we don't see more of this in hockey compared to baseball is twofold. Gillis isn't operating with as tight of a budget as Billy Beane and hockey GM's value locker room chemistry more than a baseball GM does.

I think part of the problem is that there's really not a lot of players that Gillis could sell high on. You sell high on a guy you think is overachieving on what their true value AND contribution to the team is (Hodgson being a good example). I can't think of a single player on this roster that's in that position — maybe Ballard after this season but they're not putting him in the position to put up points so not really.

Wizeman*

Because in my opinion, he can re sign Higgins and Raymond for basically the same combined price of Booth. We have serious cap issues in the off season.

Trade Booth. Trade Luongo / Schneider. Trade Ballard.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I can't look at that contract and agree with you.

Then perhaps you are unaware of the contracts being handed out to 2nd liners around the league? PMB, Setoguchi, Hornqvist, Ruutu, Versteeg, Flieschmann, Jokinen, Laich, Van Ryms, Lupul, Grabovski, Malone, Purcell, Dubinsky, Umberger and on and on...

2nd liners get paid 3.5-4.5m per. It's just the way it is.

A top6 forwards for an injured, aged vet and one playing his way out of the league... That's peanuts. He went for as little as one could possibly expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->