Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
He has a excellent wrist shot,whom ever has coached him out of using it should be fired as his slap shot sucks

It's not easy scoring wrist shot goals when you QB a PP. But I agree his wrist shot is above average for his position

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
It's not easy scoring wrist shot goals when you QB a PP. But I agree his wrist shot is above average for his position
Which would make him a valuable winger, at least temporarily, instead of going back to Providence when Lindholm returns.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Which would make him a valuable winger, at least temporarily, instead of going back to Providence when Lindholm returns.

It would make him valuable to play a position he barely knows with a shot that isn't a forward caliber shot, and no jam?

I dunno if I've seen some bad ideas on here before. But this one...

Reactions: Wirelessbits

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Just a wild idea..................if they do pick up a Hanifin or have too many D in another combination, how about Lohrei up on a wing for the playoffs? Size, speed, strength and defensive responsibility. I can see this working.
Somebody called into the hockey show yesterday and said this.. was it you?

Jaffe did said he was converted from forward to defense when he was 16. But continued to say no way. And I have to agree. He was drafted and made it this far as a defenseman.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Somebody called into the hockey show yesterday and said this.. was it you?

Jaffe did said he was converted from forward to defense when he was 16. But continued to say no way. And I have to agree. He was drafted and made it this far as a defenseman.
Temporarily.
This was the Scotty Bowman idea. His rationale was this is a big fast guy who is better than many of my forwards so why not use that size and speed on a wing. Create some havoc, bang some bodies. Play free. Byfuglen did it as well quite effectively.

Surely you'd agree that he has more skill and talent than some of the stiffs we have on wing now no?

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Temporarily.
This was the Scotty Bowman idea. His rationale was this is a big fast guy who is better than many of my forwards so why not use that size and speed on a wing. Create some havoc, bang some bodies. Play free. Byfuglen did it as well quite effectively.

Surely you'd agree that he has more skill and talent than some of the stiffs we have on wing now no?
No. Just no.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
No. Just no.
Relax, I'm just messing around. Thinking like toss things in a blender and see what comes out, cause the tweaks Monty is doing with this line up really aren't working. I think everybody can see the playoff fail coming. The weaknesses are glaring.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

MONTREAL — Mason Lohrei is continuing his push to become one of the Bruins’ core defensemen for the next decade.
The rookie suited up for his 39th career game Thursday night, a 2-1 overtime wi over the Canadiens at the Bell Centre. The growth in his poise with and without the puck has been evident since his second recall from Providence.
The towering 6-foot-5-inch, 210-pounder is averaging 17 minutes of ice time and is playing in high-leverage situations, including manning the point on the second power-play unit.

“I think No. 1 is just the confidence thing. Getting to playing my game and being more confident with the systems and with my teammates,” Lohrei said following the club’s optional morning skate. “And obviously that just makes everything so much easier. But I mean, just I think really focusing on box-outs, and gap [awareness], and staying inside the dots, closing, and being hard through guys’ hands and just being harder in my own end defensively. I think that’s probably the biggest thing that I’ve kind of focused on and felt better about.”

Coach Jim Montgomery said two things in Lohrei’s game have stood out to the staff recently.

“I think his rush reads [and] his game-to-game intensity, the consistency of it,” said Montgomery. “That’s been the two primary things that we’ve liked in his development.”

Lohrei has been careful and cognizant as he rides the fine line of when to pinch in and when to drop back. The Bruins don’t want him to lose his obvious offensive flair, but keeping bodies away from the danger areas and pucks out of the net must be the priority. The more he plays, the easier the transition game flows.

“I think I’ve always played the game pretty offensively and I love to do that. So, it kind of does come naturally in a way. I think you notice when you try to force things or try and make stuff happen when it’s not there, that’s when it’ll come back to kind of bite you,” he said. “But yeah, just take what’s given. And I think that’s another thing that’s also part of the learning process is just how the game goes and game management, when to do stuff and when not to.”

“I obviously try and play my game and do what I do no matter who I’m playing with, but it’s been great to get to, especially with it being my first year, get to play with different guys and just hear their perspectives and everyone kind of talks differently in terms of what to do, when to do it, and just learning from everybody’s been super beneficial for me,” said Lohrei, who, heading into Thursday had four goals and 12 points.

Montgomery said having a rapport with everyone on the blue line will pay dividends down the road.

“It’s really important because come playoff time — and you’re going to see a little bit of that now with the eight defensemen we have — you’re going to see a little more of that just for guys to get ready and not be surprised by who they’re playing with in the playoffs,” said the coach.

Lohrei said he watches the veterans and leans on the training staff a lot as he gets used to being a professional.

“I think the first time I got called up early in the year I played 10 games, and I think the first six or I was like, obviously there’s always that awe, ‘I’m in the NHL,’ and it’s awesome,” said Lohrei. “But those first games are really special and easy to get up for. And then just the schedule, the grueling schedule that it is. I think I went back down to Providence, and I wasn’t there for long, I think 10 days, and then I came back up for a while. But that second time I really focused on just taking it day by day and trying to be my best every single day and just being a good pro. And I think that helped out a lot in terms of just a mind-set thing going into every day, practice, game, offday, whatever it is, just having that pro mind-set.”

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
love the kid, what I like most is when he does make a mistake, he forgets about it immediately. On one occasion he was in possession of the puck in the O zone, was down around hash marks and there was a turnover leading to transition.

Young mistake, he should have just played it along the boards to the Bruin behind the net but he was trying to create a bit too much when the play wasn`t there.

2-3 shifts later, took the puck over the blueline, when a play wasn`t there, simply dump behind the net to a Bruins player, small detail

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Now is your moment Mason. You can step up, take a hit or avoid it and carry it out before making a big pass up the ice. You can replace Gryz right here and now and never look back.

Or go back to Providence for the year.

I believe he can have a huge positive impact on the team (and even maybe try him on that PP) and give the Leafs forward pressure group a new problem.

You can do it Mason!

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Certainly a big opportunity for him, and a big milestone in his development. Here's hoping he can find some of the success Krug had in 2013 and McAvoy showed as a rookie in 2017.

Reactions: HustleB

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I worry a tad about decision making in a fast paced playoff game. That’s the thing I will watch most if he plays. Can he handle pressure and make the smart play when sometimes that means just slamming it off the boards to relieve pressure

Reactions: Kegs

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Put him in for Gryz. Gryz gets absolutely abused in the playoffs. He is the weak link back there. I will be so happy when he leaves as a Free Agent.

Lohrei's offensive passing game makes up for any lack of experience. He friggin moves the puck and is just what this team needs. Transition game!

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Put him in for Gryz. Gryz gets absolutely abused in the playoffs. He is the weak link back there. I will be so happy when he leaves as a Free Agent.

Lohrei's offensive passing game makes up for any lack of experience. He friggin moves the puck and is just what this team needs. Transition game!
If he plays I would replace Shattenkirk and he would play with Wotherspoon.

Reactions: Over the volcano

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia

I so agree with you on Gryz . This is not a year I expected a lot from the Bruins . The fact we are discussing there playoff performance is a bonus. I see Lohrie as part of the future . So let's go for it Bruins play the players that need to learn what it takes to get to the next level

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If he plays I would replace Shattenkirk and he would play with Wotherspoon.
I have not been big on Shattenkirk, but I keep him in the lineup over Gryz and Against my better judgement play Loheri , and Wotherspoon not necessarily together, I don't know why Wotherspoon has not been in the lineup over Gryz.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I’d probably give him a look if I was the coach. His size and skill set might match up well against the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad