Prospect Info: Mason Lohrei signs ELC

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'd be shocked to see Lohrei jump right into the NHL next season. Could it happen? sure, but would it be better for his development playing 13-15 minutes a night in the NHL or 20+ minutes a night in the AHL? Unless he looks like an absolute stud in camp, you start him in the AHL and see how he does. If he starts to excel in the AHL, then you can bring him up to the NHL roster.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Good for him. last summer the B's were hoping for him to improve his D game. I think another year in PVD would help in that. Not sure how he'd compare to some of the other Dmen in the system. But seems like Dmen, especially lanky ones, do better with some seasoning.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I'm pretty terrible at evaluating prospects so massive grain of salt here, but I tried to watch every Providence game I could after he signed the PTO and I thought he looked really promising. Really didn't seem out of place at all playing against men which is a good sign. Also wasn't "this kid belongs in the NHL right now" good, so I think he should probably start the year in Providence again. Unless we go into retool mode like Sweeney was semi hinting at, then I'm all for letting him work out the kinks at the NHL level.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Sure absolutely, will he reach it?

Low to moderate chance

I think he’ll be somewhere between the two I mentioned and similar to Dougie Hamilton, just hopefully less of a giant baby
#1 dman on a playoff team is a pretty high projection (Dougie or McAvoy)

His skating is too suspect to be a #1 IMO, but there's a path to get there for sure

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
What are his comparable across the various potential levels those for that have seen him play?
Upside is that of a 2011-2017 left shot John Carlson
Floor of a present day Ronnie Attard

Hard to compare a 6-5 Lorhei to his peers, lot of his puck moving skills do remind me of a younger Carlson,minus the right side difference
There's just not a lot of big Dmen that have the silky mitts like Mason does

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Upside is that of a 2011-2017 left shot John Carlson
Floor of a present day Ronnie Attard

Hard to compare a 6-5 Lorhei to his peers, lot of his puck moving skills do remind me of a younger Carlson,minus the right side difference
There's just not a lot of big Dmen that have the silky mitts like Mason does
Awesome. I had composed a reply to that saying I'd really liked your Carlson comp from a couple years ago even though I'd never considered Carlson, myself. Then, I wanted to double check that it wasn't Burns, as my brain has been a bit leaky, and couldn't find that post anywhere.

I was beginning to think I'd made it up whole cloth in my own head.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Awesome. I had composed a reply to that saying I'd really liked your Carlson comp from a couple years ago even though I'd never considered Carlson, myself. Then, I wanted to double check that it wasn't Burns, as my brain has been a bit leaky, and couldn't find that post anywhere.

I was beginning to think I'd made it up whole cloth in my own head.
You had Burns

Reactions: BlackFrancis

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I got to see him a few games in Hartford and liked what I saw; good hands and honestly his skating was good for a bigger guy. I am not a scout or a particularly excellent evaluator of talent, but I think while he could step into a role in Boston next year and would not look out of place, but I think a year in Providence would be beneficial to his development having him play on the PK and PP in the AHL.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'd be shocked to see Lohrei jump right into the NHL next season. Could it happen? sure, but would it be better for his development playing 13-15 minutes a night in the NHL or 20+ minutes a night in the AHL? Unless he looks like an absolute stud in camp, you start him in the AHL and see how he does. If he starts to excel in the AHL, then you can bring him up to the NHL roster.
I`m with you, unless he makes it impossible on Mngt to send him to Providence with outstanding play, no need to rush him, let him marinate in the AHL until it`s obvious he`s ready

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Bruins never really seem shy about bringing young defensemen in like this and pairing them up with vets to start their career. Happened with McAvoy. Hamilton. Carlo. If you’ve got it, you got it. Lohrei looks like he’s got it. And what I've especially appreciated is that he’s improved in every subsequent game he’s played.

I hope McAvoy gets a chance to play the Chara role and help mentor Lohrei in as his partner.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
I share a similar sentiment with Lohrei that I do Poitras. Give the kid a shot, he's earned that much with the camp hes had. If hes overwhelmed then so be it and send him back and have a vet take over but for right now I am fully onboard the "play the kids" train. They probably aren't going to win anything this year so why not?

Reactions: 24giovanni and Kegs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad