Prospect Info: Mason Lohrei signs ELC

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I hope to see him a bit in Boston next year. Cant wait for training camp.
But I think he needs a few at least in the A, IMO.

Babajingo

Better start making room. :rolleyes:

1683732127237.png

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Unless he's absolutely drowning in camp I think they need to make every effort possible to have him in the opening night lineup.

As it stands today they need to move at least 2 of Reilly, Forbort & Gryz. With this team's cap situation and desperate need for new blood I think I'd rather have him learn on the job and take his lumps vs paying a guy $3m a year to be marginally better.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Shown a lot of flashes in providence and he has a high ceiling

Higher than McAvoy imo, but lower floor than Carlo.

If he can be a solid 4 guy with nasty and compete then I’ll be happy

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see any reason to rush him. He only started playing D five or six years ago while in prep school. He was always going to be a project with a high ceiling. A full year (minimum) down in Providence wouldn't shock me at all.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Seriously ??
McAvoy is a great athlete, stamina and thick build. But his offensive skills/ice awareness is not elite.

Orlov for example has a higher offensive skill level. Chara awareness/details was nuts and bolts.

Sounds like Lohrei has a very good offensive mind/skills. Thus higher ceiling in this aspect.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think its a longshot that Lohrei plays next season with the parent club. Needs to work on his body and details. A season or two down at Providence will be good for him.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think its a longshot that Lohrei plays next season with the parent club. Needs to work on his body and details. A season or two down at Providence will be good for him.

I think he's very likely to play a significant amount of games in the NHL for a couple of reasons. First, they are likely going to be pretty thin due to the cap situation and his cap number is obviously a positive.

Second, and I'm not saying he's going to be McAvoy, but what he did in college, offensively at least, is similar to what McAvoy did and he broke into the NHL at what? 19?

Lohrei is now 22. Not saying he's a lock, but his college career is about the same as McAvoy and he's at least had a few AHL games under his belt which McAvoy never did.

Obviously so much depends on who they move out/bring in this off season, but I don't think it's a too much of a stretch to see him play significantly in the NHL.

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think he's very likely to play a significant amount of games in the NHL for a couple of reasons. First, they are likely going to be pretty thin due to the cap situation and his cap number is obviously a positive.

Second, and I'm not saying he's going to be McAvoy, but what he did in college, offensively at least, is similar to what McAvoy did and he broke into the NHL at what? 19?

Lohrei is now 22. Not saying he's a lock, but his college career is about the same as McAvoy and he's at least had a few AHL games under his belt which McAvoy never did.

Obviously so much depends on who they move out/bring in this off season, but I don't think it's a too much of a stretch to see him play significantly in the NHL.
Al I never got to see him - you get down there ?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

I see what you mean... but college to NHL is a different stratosphere

McAvoy is a truck/exceptional athlete. Carlo made it straight due to a combination of size, defensive acumen and exceptional skating ability.

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Al I never got to see him - you get down there ?

Not @ Providence --- just a half dozen or so times on TV in college.

To me it's less about him being a "lock" and more about the situation the team might be in. I mean, it's almost a guarantee that they just won't be as good defensively next year.

Given that, do they let him develop at the NHL level, knowing that:

A. They're going to have to win games 5-4 or 6-5 a whole lot more.

&

B. How much does he help you be the team that scores 5+ goals in a game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad