LD Mason Lohrei - Ohio State Univ., NCAA (2020, 58th, BOS)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve been waiting to make this thread (I currently can’t).

He’s been great this season. Arguably the top defensemen in the league right now.

His combination of offensive instincts, push rushing skills, size, and skating is why he was a second round pick. He has a lot of talent.

Defensively, he looks above average. He may never be a shutdown defensemen, as you might expect of a player his size, but I think he can defend well enough.

Reactions: Dominance

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Mason leading all D in the ushl so far this year. Looks like the mason the real deal lohrei. Great pick mr sweeney.
Lohrei just turned 20. The ages of the next 3 D the are:

Don't get me wrong, Lohrei is a fine prospect and a worthy risk for a late 2nd rd guy. But let's pump the breaks on his USHL numbers a bit. He's basically 6 months younger than Jordan Harris.... who is a JR in college while Lohrei won't be a freshman until next year.

Like it or not, that's going to color people's opinion of his numbers. He's a big older guy in a league that he really should've moved out of.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario

Don't get me wrong, Lohrei is a fine prospect and a worthy risk for a late 2nd rd guy. But let's pump the breaks on his USHL numbers a bit. He's basically 6 months younger than Jordan Harris.... who is a JR in college while Lohrei won't be a freshman until next year.

Like it or not, that's going to color people's opinion of his numbers. He's a big older guy in a league that he really should've moved out of.
Just to let you know Bruins are notorious for finding stars in the 2nd round. I wouldn't be surprised here. It's a lucky round for them for some reason. Bergeron DK recently studnicka.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Bergeron was 17 years ago, ok.

Its more than logical the 2nd round will give any team solid players but I dont think Boston is doing significantly better there than most other teams.

Well if you consider just 2nd round talent, name another
team that over the last 10 years had their #1/#2 C
and a top 4 D picked in the second round that made
made a SC Final?

Boston this year will roll their #1/#2 Centers in
Bergeron and Krejci plus Carlo and Lauzon
in their top 4 D. Studnicka has a decent possibility
of starting the season as one of Boston's top
3RW.

If that happens it will be 5 players out of 15
in your top 9 F and top 6 D. Taken with
McAvoy, Pastrnak and DeBrusk as #1 picks
thats an excellent 2nd round haul.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
made a SC Final?
Yes they hit the jackpot with two players years ago, congrats.

Looking at the last decade, shall we ? Boston is not doing a better job than most other teams.

Reactions: cudi

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013

Technically he turns 20 in a couple weeks, but I agree with the thrust of your message. a 19-20 year old mid round pick should be a top end USHL player

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Yes they hit the jackpot with two players years ago, congrats.

Looking at the last decade, shall we ? Boston is not doing a better job than most other teams.

YOU SAID Boston isn't doing significantly better than most teams. It was pointed out to u who they picked, so
you quickly moved the goal posts.

Nice dodge champ.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
YOU SAID Boston isn't doing significantly better than most teams. It was pointed out to u who they picked, so
you quickly moved the goal posts.

Nice dodge champ.
I repeated exactly what I said in the first place. Nobody is moving goalposts. No idea what is wrong with you. What you pointed out is ridiculous. I already said Bergeron was 17 years ago and you come up with Bergeron and Krejci again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
made a SC Final?
Ignoring the fact that Bergeron, Krejci and Carlo were all drafted by 3 different GMs, so that the whole idea of "Boston doing well in the 2nd round" is a bit of a stretch since who "Boston" was making those decisions has changed......

off the top of my head:
Dallas this past year- Roope Hintz 2nd round, John Klingberg 5th rd
SJ had Braun and Pavelski as top 4 D and 1/2 C that were each drafted in the 7th rd.

I'm sure there are others.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I think it is reasonable to be excited about Lohrei, not solely because of his output but by how he is playing against other high end talent. USHL is so much better now than it was years ago. Every team has either high draft picks, emerging draft eligible, or overagers who are going to dominate NCAA.

He isn't that much older than Lafrenierre...and also he is a converted forward. So, I can see why Sweeney went after him.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I repeated exactly what I said in the first place. Nobody is moving goalposts. No idea what is wrong with you. What you pointed out is ridiculous. I already said Bergeron was 17 years ago and you come up with Bergeron and Krejci again.

Lol, what is wrong with me? Nice personal attack
champ.

Post #7, which is yours, clearly states Boston hasn't
done better on average than anyone else.
Bergeron and Krejci alone prove you wrong.
Add Carlo, Lauzon and Studnicka and the only person with something "wrong" with them is you.

I'm done with you boy.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Ignoring the fact that Bergeron, Krejci and Carlo were all drafted by 3 different GMs, so that the whole idea of "Boston doing well in the 2nd round" is a bit of a stretch since who "Boston" was making those decisions has changed......

off the top of my head:
Dallas this past year- Roope Hintz 2nd round, John Klingberg 5th rd
SJ had Braun and Pavelski as top 4 D and 1/2 C that were each drafted in the 7th rd.

I'm sure there are others.

1) Its 2nd ROUND ONLY

2) it's still Boston regardless of GM

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Context is important but age is not the only factor to consider. Yes, Lohrei's on the older side for the USHL, but it's only his second full year at that level, and he played his original NHL draft year at Culver Prep. Add in that he's a late convert to D, who also grew late and played football, and this isn't just an overcooked USHL veteran having a big final season. His development arc is pretty impressive, although it will indeed be interesting to see as a slightly older freshman how quickly he adapts to the college game. I like the player a lot but worry the pace will be an issue.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
What is the reason he is not playing in the NCAA? Transferring?

It's not uncommon for non-elite prospects to play until their 19-20 season in USHL/BCHL before matriculating, especially if they played Prep during their High School years. A lot of the time it'll help them get a scholarship at a school that they would have had trouble cracking the roster on as an 18 year old, like a hockey east or big 10 school rather than an atlantic hockey school.

Reactions: LeafChief

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bergeron was 17 years ago, ok.

Its more than logical the 2nd round will give any team solid players but I dont think Boston is doing significantly better there than most other teams.

I'd say they are doing worse.

Since 2007, they've only drafted two players in the 2nd round that have played more than 200 NHL games, and one of them (Spooner) is currently in the KHL. The other is Brandon Carlo who was a projected 1st rounder that in a deep draft drop to #37.

That number may change. Donato has 130 NHL games. Ryan Lindgren looks like he'll be an NHL player for awhile. In-house both Lauzon and Studnicka look like decent bets for relatively decent NHL careers.

But that doesn't change the fact that for the past 14 drafts the Bruins haven't been anything special in the 2nd round as it stands right here today. That could change like I said. I can't hang my hat on a few great picks 15-20 years ago (Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic) and claim the Bruins are some sort of 2nd round savants.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad