Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Nice article

Nice to see a Panthers prospect that's a bit cocky hopefully in the right way

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Lord knows we need more players with a very good shot.

Hope he can keep on developing to make it to the Panthers. Sooner the better.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I am all for complaining around here...when it makes sense. Lets not pretend like Crouse is even showing a shade of being a good player.

Should Crouse even be in the NHL?

I mean I guess Arizona thought they saw enough to keep him on the big squad, but he's 19 years old. Doesn't turn 20 till June 23rd. In the OHL last year he looked good with our other prospect(Lammikko) was a PPG player and played a sound 2 way game.

Not talking about a 22-23 year old player here.

Nor do I think Crouse has the potential of Mascherin, but it's just too early to judge a guy who either becomes a PWF or a bottom 6 dude when he's 19 years old in the NHL. Those big guys typically need a few years IIRC.

I mean I understood the dislike for drafting him. And personally I liked Koencky or Meier, but we took a risk on Crouse.
Either could develop into Lucic, or just be a 4th line player. More than likely, too early to say how he pans out, or if Arizona is hurting or helping him playing him in the NHL.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Smart kid. He understands that you need other things to be successful in the NHL other than a lethal shot. If all you needed was a shot, then Hunt and Pirri would be shoe in's. Just watching a few of the gifs, he is very slick with the puck, passing, and his skating is excellent. Couple that with his hockey IQ, strong low center of gravity and he can power his way thru defenders. The more varied your arsenal, the more choices you have to beat your opponent. :)

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

I mean I guess Arizona thought they saw enough to keep him on the big squad, but he's 19 years old. Doesn't turn 20 till June 23rd. In the OHL last year he looked good with our other prospect(Lammikko) was a PPG player and played a sound 2 way game.

Nor do I think Crouse has the potential of Mascherin, but it's just too early to judge a guy who either becomes a PWF or a bottom 6 dude when he's 19 years old in the NHL. Those big guys typically need a few years IIRC.

I mean I understood the dislike for drafting him. And personally I liked Koencky or Meier, but we took a risk on Crouse.
Either could develop into Lucic, or just be a 4th line player. More than likely, too early to say how he pans out, or if Arizona is hurting or helping him playing him in the NHL.

Crouse has potential and will be a good winger on which Line he will ever end. But i was hoping to see him and Lammikko in Springfield this Year.

I dont´t like to see Crouse already playing NHL. I hope his development os good enough that he could be a Top9 Winger. His Speed fit good in the Arizona Game.

I like that the Panthers recognise good play from their Prospects. But i dont like bringing up Prospect straight into the NHL, from their youth Year.
And second he is only 18 Year old, he should be very matured Person and his work ethic should also pretty good. But for now, he should stay healthy and finish his Season.
And then he can go the normal Way, shine out in the Prospect tournament, practice hard and then we will see if the right Spot is open. Is he really that good he need a lot of Icetime for expierence in battle and new Hockey LvL.

In the last Years i saw too much Players have lower development, belongs to Icetime, player they can play with.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

I was there when we drafted Crouse and was very happy about it. I hope he does well in his career. But at this point there is no reason to be disappointed at all with the trade. Become disappointed when he looks like a top 6 player or even resembles one.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I was there when we drafted Crouse and was very happy about it. I hope he does well in his career. But at this point there is no reason to be disappointed at all with the trade. Become disappointed when he looks like a top 6 player or even resembles one.

Well I think some lingering frustration from that trade is we cleared cap for what? Sure, it's nice to have some breathing room, but last I checked we have the second most cap space in the league. Now obviously you need to look at the future and make sure you don't get weighed down by bad contracts.

Teams find a way at the tdl to make room for playoff push pieces, not to mention the cap hits for acquired players are drastically reduced at the tdl.

We also re-signed the core and even with all the contracts kicking in the following year, we would of had plenty of cap space. Not to mention the 17 fa pool sucks.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Well I think some lingering frustration from that trade is we cleared cap for what? Sure, it's nice to have some breathing room, but last I checked we have the second most cap space in the league. Now obviously you need to look at the future and make sure you don't get weighed down by bad contracts.

Teams find a way at the tdl to make room for playoff push pieces, not to mention the cap hits for acquired players are drastically reduced at the tdl.

We also re-signed the core and even with all the contracts kicking in the following year, we would of had plenty of cap space. Not to mention the 17 fa pool sucks.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The savard trade was baffling as well.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Really like mash Erin as a prospect one of my favorites.. crazy release that I haven't really seen before.. a lot of upside but we'll see how he can develops and adapt to the pros

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

I felt the same way about it but there is no guarantee that a trade would have been available in the future with the same team or a different team. They saw an opportunity to get rid of the contract for a player whom they felt wouldn't contribute much. I firmly believe that after Crouse attended camp they saw red flags that singled he wouldn't be a top 6 player or it would be difficult for him to be a top 6 player.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Dude looks damn good. Great playmaking ability and a great shot. Stick handling is nuts

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
my only worry is his speed. if he can continue to get quicker, perhaps dropping a few pounds would help, but if you can continue to get faster then that combined with his shot, hard to knock off the puck, then he'll be in good shape once developed more. the only bright spots in our system offensively are him and borgstrom, hopefully there are some sleepers in there too.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I am all for complaining around here...when it makes sense. Lets not pretend like Crouse is even showing a shade of being a good player.

And one is an eye test player /the other (likely) an advanced stats darling. No comparison between the two inside the organization I'd bet money on it. Plus Crouse was involved in idiot contract Bolland deal (Tallons worst move by far).

Big Bjugs: Your Eagles have literally given away a WHOLE WR grouping, handed over reigns to Chip Kelly to make it the Oregon Ducks pro team only for ownership to fire him and start over once again. That is MUCH more of a mess than what Panthers brass is trying to do here.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
My concern is his play without the puck. A lot of times I've seen him kind of standing still and gliding in the d zone, not really doing much, kind of just hoping the play goes the other way, not backtracking hard...and I see the same with Borgstrom except he at least keeps his feet moving.

Shot is off the charts good, playmaking is good, very good vision, not really overly physical from what I've seen, but has a good build for his size so he's not typically outmatched along the boards.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
My concern is his play without the puck. A lot of times I've seen him kind of standing still and gliding in the d zone, not really doing much, kind of just hoping the play goes the other way, not backtracking hard...and I see the same with Borgstrom except he at least keeps his feet moving.

Shot is off the charts good, playmaking is good, very good vision, not really overly physical from what I've seen, but has a good build for his size so he's not typically outmatched along the boards.

When can we expect a push for a spot 2-3 years? Kid seems to have all the tools to do pretty well in the NHL already is the gliding his biggest issue?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
When can we expect a push for a spot 2-3 years? Kid seems to have all the tools to do pretty well in the NHL already is the gliding his biggest issue?

Play without the puck is probably his "biggest" issue...thinks the game quick and has the offensive tools. Would also like to see an improvement in foot speed perhaps, kind of reminds me of Dryden Hunt's skating if anyone saw him at the camps.

He'll go back for his 4th year in juniors because he's not eligible for the AHL next season and then we'll see where's he at after that. Not sure if he'll be pushing for a spot then, but I don't see why not right now.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Any chance he could take the Nikolai Goldobin -route next season? Nothing left to prove in juniors and not eligible for the AHL, so go play a year in Europe.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Any chance he could take the Nikolai Goldobin -route next season? Nothing left to prove in juniors and not eligible for the AHL, so go play a year in Europe.

For what it's worth, I thought I read when Bracco was traded that the Rangers were thinking of an all 19 year old line with Mascherin and another two players for next season.

-ghoste

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
For what it's worth, I thought I read when Bracco was traded that the Rangers were thinking of an all 19 year old line with Mascherin and another two players for next season.

-ghoste

Well Bracco was traded because odds are he goes pro next season, whether that's AHL or NHL, and they want to get something for him before they lose him for nothing. Now I don't know what their plans are for next season aside from Mascherin likely returning, but that's why they traded Bracco.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Play without the puck is probably his "biggest" issue...thinks the game quick and has the offensive tools. Would also like to see an improvement in foot speed perhaps, kind of reminds me of Dryden Hunt's skating if anyone saw him at the camps.

He'll go back for his 4th year in juniors because he's not eligible for the AHL next season and then we'll see where's he at after that. Not sure if he'll be pushing for a spot then, but I don't see why not right now.
All I've seen is his skating on the gifs, and it looked like his edge work is excellent but hard to gauge his speed. I've not seen Hunt skate to any great degree but the guy is definitely not setting the world on fire in the AHL. Even Griffith, Marchessault and Pirri were excellent pt producers right out of the juniors in the AHL. If Mascherin is a Hunt clone, then he needs to go back to juniors and get to work. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00