OT: Mary Poppins: "Cancer, Alzheimers, bed bugs, and black widows, (insert your own) ...these are a few of my favorite things."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
So pray for me anybody who has dealt with it or knows someone that has. My landlord popped by yesterday and told me that there’s bed bugs in the building. So I called a pest control company here that has a sniffer dog and had them do a check and get some tips on what I can do to stop them before they’re here. Unfortunately, they’re here. Which explains the random ass welts I wake up with.

There’s also a black widow nest, because f*** me, apparently.

At least your landlord told you- I had some scumbag who just didn’t tell anyone in the building. Found out from a neighbor, called the landlord on his BS, and he used his daughter dying years ago to excuse his shitty behavior. Like, yes, that’s an awful wound that must suck tremendously, but in what way does that excuse being a shit money leach? Got out of the lease at least- this was after breaking up with my live-in gf at the time, so it kinda worked out.

Anyways, lotta folks here going through rough times. I don’t really know what to say- stay strong and hope there’s a better world than this one. Hope those you love can live in and enjoy this one as long as possible. Shit man, idk.

Meanwhile my dad is showing signs of early Alzheimer’s. I’ve noticed it a bit in the past, but now he’s forgetting really basic shit we’ve talked about. Sucks, we’ve had an up-and-down relationship, but I’m visiting home soon and will just be as nice as possible. Try to make some good memories.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
~1000 posts in, past due for a seasonal-related thread title change... to Mary Poppins

Hang in there people, and wishing you all healthy doses of Radiation, Chemo, Prevagen, Permethrin, Chlordane, etc., for whatever you need.

Hug a family/friend. Hold a baby/dog (I'm not a cat guy - if you are, fine). Burn the mattresses. Bask in the warmth of the sun for an hour. Punch a Leafs/Broons fan. Whatever helps you cope.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
~1000 posts in, past due for a seasonal-related thread title change... to Mary Poppins

Hang in there people, and wishing you all healthy doses of Radiation, Chemo, Prevagen, Permethrin, Chlordane, etc., for whatever you need.

Hug a family/friend. Hold a baby/dog (I'm not a cat guy - if you are, fine). Burn the mattresses. Bask in the warmth of the sun for an hour. Punch a Leafs/Broons fan. Whatever helps you cope.
How do you not like cats?! Theyre like mini tigers. Cleaning their poop is annoying, though.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
How do you not like cats?! Theyre like mini tigers. Cleaning their poop is annoying, though.
I'm allergic. Although, supposedly, my ongoing allergy shots build "immunity". However, I have no desire to test whether they work or not. Cats just don't do it for me. I will admit cats are good - perhaps ideal even - for numerous science experiments.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I'm allergic. Although, supposedly, my ongoing allergy shots build "immunity". However, I have no desire to test whether they work or not. Cats just don't do it for me. I will admit cats are good - perhaps ideal even - for numerous science experiments.

1683831556239.gif

• Haha
Reactions: oldgoalie

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Feels like that is going to end poorly for the baker.

Unfortunately. It is nice to have reminders, much like with China, that the "little" people in oppressive countries aren't the problem, and that true bravery can be seen every day by such people.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA

The Leafs getting eliminated was a good way to improve my mood.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
I’m aware that it’s all Julie Andrews, but “My Favorite Things“ isn’t Mary Poppins, it’s Sound of Music. Hate for any of us to lose on “Jeopardy” due to misinformation gleaned from HF….

• Haha
Reactions: Diaspora

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’m aware that it’s all Julie Andrews, but “My Favorite Things“ isn’t Mary Poppins, it’s Sound of Music. Hate for any of us to lose on “Jeopardy” due to misinformation gleaned from HF….

I have a friend who does an amazing impression of Alanis Morrissette singing various Julie Andrews songs. That she also does an amazing Andrews' impression singing "You ought to know" is even better.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So, Nate came home from college for the summer on Friday. He is already annoyed at his mother and I for bugging him about getting a summer job. He doesn't seem to understand our concern after he made the choice not to work last summer and he has a history of procrastinating.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I agree. She’s a flibbertigibbet, a will o’ the wisp, a clown.

Frankly, she's a problem.

So, Nate came home from college for the summer on Friday. He is already annoyed at his mother and I for bugging him about getting a summer job. He doesn't seem to understand our concern after he made the choice not to work last summer and he has a history of procrastinating.

I don't know what the market is like now, but I will tell you that 20 years ago, summer jobs were nigh impossible to find. I applied to over 110 places in OP/Hamburg/West Seneca and had nothing. I eventually got hired for 2 shifts a week because my friend's older brother worked at a pizza place. Nobody wanted a seasonal employee.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
1980s you’d be grateful to have a job making $1000 for the summer. $3.35/hr x 7 weeks x 40 hours. Steel mills auto plants and related had massive layoffs or even closings and many friends / neighbors dads were out of work so you took whatever you could get.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Eh, just make him do something constructive. A summer class, maybe? Slightly different, but I resent starting work at 16 simply because that’s what Americans do. My parents had money, my interests were not best served being a donkey for Dunkin Donuts- wish I’d taken school more seriously instead. Whatever, my own fault for wanting a car, and maybe working early helped fuel my radicalization, so.. *shrug*. AI gonna take all our jobs anyways.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
1980s you’d be grateful to have a job making $1000 for the summer. $3.35/hr x 7 weeks x 40 hours. Steel mills auto plants and related had massive layoffs or even closings and many friends / neighbors dads were out of work so you took whatever you could get.

I had a job in the '80's that was a closed shop. Our contract ran out and so we picketed for a pay increase. We got a quarter per hour increase. My dues went up 30 cents to cover the cost of our labor action. So I lost a week of pay and wound up making less afterward. That always stuck with me.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
$6.50/hr was my first summer job in 2000
My sister worked at Towne Restaurant in the past.

RIP to Valvo's Candies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Eh, just make him do something constructive. A summer class, maybe? Slightly different, but I resent starting work at 16 simply because that’s what Americans do. My parents had money, my interests were not best served being a donkey for Dunkin Donuts- wish I’d taken school more seriously instead. Whatever, my own fault for wanting a car, and maybe working early helped fuel my radicalization, so.. *shrug*. AI gonna take all our jobs anyways.
He's 18, almost 19. There is no making him do anything.

He has to get in 120 hours in a related field for school. And AI isn't taking his job as he is in school for automotive tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad