OT: Mary Poppins: "Cancer, Alzheimers, bed bugs, and black widows, (insert your own) ...these are a few of my favorite things."

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
New OT thread as the seasonal theme is ready for a change with the solstice passing... Daylight is now getting longer...Arctic Winter blast happening.

Continued from here

Edit: Son called. We left town a week ago (drove). He stopped by our house (had to work this week before heading to airport to join us). Wind blew storm door and ruined the piston / arm. Door won't close beyond 45 degree angle. I taught him to remove the pins. Santa will get a couple new ones when he returns to the North Pole. He showed video of the wind. Pretty intense.

Last edited:

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
New OT thread as the seasonal theme is ready for a change with the solstice passing... Daylight is now getting longer...Arctic Winter blast happening.

Continued from here

Edit: Son called. We left town a week ago (drove). He stopped by our house (had to work this week before heading to airport to join us). Wind blew storm door and ruined the piston / arm. Door won't close beyond 45 degree angle. I taught him to remove the pins. Santa will get a couple new ones when he returns to the North Pole.
Weather right now in Lancaster is heating up

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
514848.jpg

Stay safe and keep warm, everyone!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The only thing I’m worried about is the wind here in Rochvegas.

We have friends who have a big branch on top of their SUV.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
This will be the storm that breaks me. My lease is up in August, and I will be leaving for Texas.

I cannot handle another winter like this.
Doesn't Texas have major issues with their power grids or has that been fixed? May just be moving from one state that brings along shit circumstances to another state with shit circumstances, haha.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Doesn't Texas have major issues with their power grids or has that been fixed? May just be moving from one state that brings along shit circumstances to another state with shit circumstances, haha.
Not totally fixed, yet. Power has intermittently (like every couple of hours) shut off here for a minute or so, then pops back on. But that's more a function of the age of the electrical lines where I live (about 20 miles east of Austin) than it is the availability of power itself. This is a very old town that was under 9k residents when I moved here 9 years ago and projects to have over 40k by 2030.

Power lines and related equipment is slowly being upgraded across the state. They're trying to both upgrade the older equipment and also deal with putting in new service to the exploding populations we are getting.

We'll get there eventually. WNY will always have snow storms, which is what drove me out in the mid-90s. (along with the need to find a job).

:scool:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This will be the storm that breaks me. My lease is up in August, and I will be leaving for Texas.

I cannot handle another winter like this.

I know you have dealt with the texas heat before, but I was not ready for going outside at 11 PM and it still be 90+ degrees. I'll take blizzards over 6 months of hot.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Had a friend who was essential (pharmacist) and he apparently had to abandon his car somewhere around Clinton in the city

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I think that no matter where one chooses to live, there are pros and cons. And everyone's choices are influenced by many factors, weather among them. Me? I love the north. Not sure if that will change as I get older, but at 65, I'm not feeling any desire to move.

I Just booked my early February vacation - 3 days in Quebec City followed by 4 days of skiing at Mont Tremblant. Hoping to be able to stop in Montreal for lunch at Hurley's on the way back. I'd been going with my sons up to Tremblant every year from 2006 to 2020. The pandemic interrupted that, but I'm looking forward to this first post-pandemic ski trip. Lowest temperature in which we've ever skied? 25 degrees below zero Fahrenheit, not accounting for wind chill. Like I said, I love the north.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
In Florida, it's going to be in the 20's here tonight.

Ha! Got ‘em!

I think that no matter where one chooses to live, there are pros and cons. And everyone's choices are influenced by many factors, weather among them. Me? I love the north. Not sure if that will change as I get older, but at 65, I'm not feeling any desire to move.

I Just booked my early February vacation - 3 days in Quebec City followed by 4 days of skiing at Mont Tremblant. Hoping to be able to stop in Montreal for lunch at Hurley's on the way back. I'd been going with my sons up to Tremblant every year from 2006 to 2020. The pandemic interrupted that, but I'm looking forward to this first post-pandemic ski trip. Lowest temperature in which we've ever skied? 25 degrees below zero Fahrenheit, not accounting for wind chill. Like I said, I love the north.

I once went out of town to work in February, and the warmest it got in my month there was -37 without the wind chill. It was weird when I came back home, -15 felt warm.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Sounds awesome.

Reactions: Dex

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Ha! Got ‘em!

I once went out of town to work in February, and the warmest it got in my month there was -37 without the wind chill. It was weird when I came back home, -15 felt warm.
I know what you mean. It was -25 F the morning we left Tremblant. We had first tracks - so we were up early on the mountain - skied 'til about 11 AM and then drove home to Buffalo - where it was 50 degrees warmer at 25 degrees. Heat wave.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Sounds awesome.
I really love it up there. Great scenery, French ambience, and since I'm not that great of a skier - not having tried skiing until I was 48 - I really like that there are green trails from the top of the mountain. The longest trail is 4 miles long which makes for a really nice trip down.

Quebec City is awesome in winter as well. The snow adds an entirely different accent and dimension to the beauty of the old city.

Reactions: brian_griffin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad