Marvel VS Capcom Infinite - 2017 (PS4/XB1/Steam)

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Thats the second time you posted something about that group. I never played it online or payed attention to any of the competitive matches. Why was that combo so bad?

Those three overcentralized MvC2 (read: Top 3 tournament characters) and were among the Top/God Tiers in 3. And ye, they're overpowered.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Storm and Sentinel weren't great in 3. Storm especially, pretty much just had one guy who played her.

But if you want balance don't play a Marvel game.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Remember Twitter user Lupinko? He hinted these characters to be included in Infinite:

Marvel:

Gwenpool (Might be a Deadpool replacement)

Howard the Duck

Groot

Kamala Khan

Capcom:

Roll

Protoman

Hunter (Monster Hunter)

Edward Falcon

Asura

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Wait, so it's MCU characters only from Marvel? So in other words this is more to advertise the movies than it is to give us a sandbox to play with...Big ol' pass from me, then.

The only Marvel characters that I'm anything more than indifferent about are the ones that I played with extensively in MvC2...almost none of which will be in this game. Lame.

MvC2 was such a special gem to me because I came at it as someone who didn't care for fighting games and as such barely knew half of the Capcom characters, and as someone whose entire comic book experience was seeing the Burton Batman movies as a kid..meaning I didn't even have a clue what Iron Man was back then. Suffice to say I don't think the Marvel end of that experience is possible again, but the only Marvel characters I have any sort of affinity to are the ones I played to death in that game...and those characters are almost all going to be left out of this game because of their petty squabbles with Fox.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I haven't seen anything regarding this but if Dante/Vergil return and they're using the new designs I will be quite upset lmao

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Wait, so it's MCU characters only from Marvel? So in other words this is more to advertise the movies than it is to give us a sandbox to play with...Big ol' pass from me, then.

The only Marvel characters that I'm anything more than indifferent about are the ones that I played with extensively in MvC2...almost none of which will be in this game. Lame.

MvC2 was such a special gem to me because I came at it as someone who didn't care for fighting games and as such barely knew half of the Capcom characters, and as someone whose entire comic book experience was seeing the Burton Batman movies as a kid..meaning I didn't even have a clue what Iron Man was back then. Suffice to say I don't think the Marvel end of that experience is possible again, but the only Marvel characters I have any sort of affinity to are the ones I played to death in that game...and those characters are almost all going to be left out of this game because of their petty squabbles with Fox.

We have no confirmation that they won't be in, just speculation.

You came to the series with no understanding of the characters and enjoyed it, why are you so dismissive of doing that again?

Many of the Marvel characters from 2 weren't in 3 let alone going to be in 4. It sounds like maybe you skipped 3, but yeah the roster is much different.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Also, as much as I love X-Men and my entire 2 team was X-Men based and all gone on 3, the Marvel roster is huge and amazing even if you remove the X-Men and there's a lot of great Marvel characters beyond the main Avengers.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
We have no confirmation that they won't be in, just speculation.

You came to the series with no understanding of the characters and enjoyed it, why are you so dismissive of doing that again?

Many of the Marvel characters from 2 weren't in 3 let alone going to be in 4. It sounds like maybe you skipped 3, but yeah the roster is much different.

I skipped 3 as it seemed to be a step in the wrong direction to me, so this would be continuing down that path.

I'm dismissive because I went into 2 not even knowing those characters existed...this one I'm coming in with an inherent bias against many of them.

Basically I want something that can't be replicated...but the direction 3 took it, coupled with Capcom's relative mediocrity of late and Marvel annoying the **** out of me (apparently I'm the only screenwriter in LA that doesn't obsess over the stuff) just mean that I can't even muster up any level of anticipation for this one.

To put it simply - I don't give a single **** about Marvel and I was able to get by that when I was younger by simply not knowing any of the characters (aside from the X-Men and Spiderman, which I simply knew existed because of cartoons I didn't watch as a kid)...now they're getting shoved down my throat and I'm resentful of them.

With all that said I'm now basically realizing that all I actually want is Darkstalkers 4 with Dr. Doom, Wolverine, and Tron Bonne in it.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Well yeah someone who doesn't "give a single **** about Marvel" may struggle to find MARVEL vs Capcom appealing haha.

Ironically you're talking about characters being shoved down our throats but you want more Wolvy who was shoved down our throat relentlessly.

Not hating I still love Wolverine.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well yeah someone who doesn't "give a single **** about Marvel" may struggle to find MARVEL vs Capcom appealing haha.

Ironically you're talking about characters being shoved down our throats but you want more Wolvy who was shoved down our throat relentlessly.

Not hating I still love Wolverine.

Well, I adore MvC2, so it is possible. Wolverine definitely wasn't over-saturated when the original game came out, FWIW. The game came out around the same time as the first X-Men movie, which I didn't see until the following year, so to me Wolverine was a character that I knew of, but knew nothing about (didn't watch the cartoon or read any comics). I only like Wolverine because of that game.

I came to the realization that what I want is impractical, but it is what it is. I adored MvC2 and I hate what both companies have become. I'm most definitely the weird one in this thread.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I think while many of us love 2 it was also a very flawed game. Very difficult to replicate that game today because the issues would just be torn apart PATCH THIS NERF THIS GUY etc.

That was a game where maybe 1/4 of the characters were actually viable competitively. It's vast roster was part of the fun but it was also a fault.

I feel like 3 went in a direction it had to go in this day and age. However, I am not fond of the changes we are getting for 4 and these are not changes that need to happen and are shaking up the core of the experience.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, and it just sucks that I'm coming to the realization that there's just not going to be another fighting game for someone like me since I don't care about how viable characters are competitively because I have no interest whatsoever to ever play competitively.

I kinda liked that no attempt was made to balance that roster, it made the times I could beat a friend with Roll that much more satisfying. My primary character, the one who was in every single team I put together, is on the low tier (B.B. Hood).

Obviously I'm not the gamer that they're trying to get, but I do think part of this is a fundamental problem with fighting games at this point in time - they're catering to the competitive fighting scene too much and they're eventually going to just wall off that genre entirely from any level of casual gamer. Fighting games were either the most or second most popular genre of games when I was a kid, and now they're almost niche. MvC2 was a cross-over hit that attracted both hardcore fighting fans and filthy casuals...and it feels like we're getting less and less of those types of fighting games as time moves on. MvC2 got me somewhat into the genre for a while, too, I probably owned every fighting game for the Dreamcast at one point or another, but as the Dreamcast died so did my interest in games for a while and it's just been impossible for me to get back into the genre. It feels like a gated community that just doesn't want outsiders to partake.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Tiers almost never matter. A good player using a low tier character will win 10 times out of 10 against a bad player using a high tier character. It only really comes into play when you have relatively equal players playing an heavily favored character matchup.

And the genre has been getting more and more accessible for years, but it's always going to require some knowledge and homework if you want to get beyond a certain level. But that's how it should be.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I do agree that the competitive scene has hurt fighting games general appeal. I hesitated to even touch smash 4 because my friend had got into the competitive scene, studying youtube videos and counting frames and all this crap and refused to turn items on.

Just that ultra competitive environment is always unappealing. Its why I can't seriously get into dark souls even though I've half finished 1, I saw my brother get a message saying hes a coward with no honor because he didn't give a guy 5 minutes to buff, use goldpine resin, bow emote, or whatever the hell is procedure in that game these days. Then theres all this stuff about never using guides despite having stuff behind 3 hidden walls and secret doors where you need to wear a special ring to open. (not why I quit, just got bored)

I think thats why Mortal Kombat sells so well, it never got the stigma of being that ultra competitive environment and there are still ridiculously cheap moves you can spam. Not necessarily a positive but yeah.

Last edited:

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Will the keep the same music? For some reason this game was left running a lot, probably due to drinking, and I have "wanna take you for a ride" burned into my brain.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Just catching up to this thread.

Tiers almost never matter. A good player using a low tier character will win 10 times out of 10 against a bad player using a high tier character. It only really comes into play when you have relatively equal players playing an heavily favored character matchup.

And the genre has been getting more and more accessible for years, but it's always going to require some knowledge and homework if you want to get beyond a certain level. But that's how it should be.

Tiers matter, but in Marvel, they've historically REALLY mattered because set play - even at mid-levels - can be so oppressive. Everyone who played Marvel 3 has lost to a worse player with anchor Vergil.

There were probably 8 viable characters at high level in MvC2 during it's last three or four years and a few of them were only around for assists (Commando, Cyclops, Psylocke). Cable was always around because he countered Sentinel.

MvC3 tiers have always been oppressive, but the way that game works, it's more about how high tier your team is than it's specific parts. Hulk-Haggar-Sentinel is a near top-tier team, but filled with low tier individuals. Wolverine-Storm-Akuma has a top tier point and two mid-tier anchors, but is a top tier team.

The exceptions being Doom (whose assists are clearly the best, and has damage input and TAC), Vergil (who one shots teams with XF easily) and Zero (who has OTK loops and insane incoming mix-ups).

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Take this post with a grain of salt.

Leaks galore, courtesy of r/MvCI:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mvci/comments/5le778/happy_new_leaks/

Prefacing this: Both side's MvCI rosters include DLC. I actually have no idea who is launch because it's still up in the air sans no X-Men. My MvCI info is around 3 months old btw. Source said wait til New Year's to leak. I wanted to do this on Xmas. With that said...

MARVEL: Iron Man, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, Thor, Loki, Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Panther, Black Widow, Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Venom, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Ultron, Thanos, Star-Lord, Rocket (w/Groot), Doctor Strange, Gwenpool, Squirrel Girl, Fing Fang Foom (Giant Character), Wolverine, Magneto, Storm, and Doctor Doom.

CAPCOM: Ryu, Rashid, Chun-Li, Zangief, Gill, Morrigan, Talbain, Tessa, Mega Man X, Sigma, Roll, Strider, Jin, Captain Commando, Edward Falcon, Asura, Gene, Dante, Leon, Ada, Wesker, Nina (BoF2), Spencer, Simon Blackquill, Phoenix Wright, Rathalos (Giant Character), Masamune Date, Batsu, June, and Frank West.
Cinematic trailer is indeed Ultron infected with the Sigma Virus and the main villain of MvCI.

Wolverine, Magneto, Storm, and Doom are all DLC and not making the base roster.

Some Street Fighter characters might be held off on MvCI as DLC to make an X-Men vs Street Fighter DLC themed pack.

MvCI's director Norio Hirose wanted the Capcom cast from MvC to return since he programmed that. Hence why they're part of MvCI (except Mega Man is Mega Man X instead).

Ono suggested Ingrid and R. Mika for MvCI.

Combofiend suggested and got Spencer on MvCI in at his own request, as the team obliged.

Phoenix Wright was almost nixed on in favor of only Simon. The team felt he was a failed idea on UMvC3, but wanted to redeem him. They choose Simon because he's more straightforward and relevant (AA5 & 6). Franziska hasn't been on any lately, so no priority.

More than one BoF character was considered for MvCI. Bleu and Fou-Lu namely. Bleu almost got in with Nina. Katt, Rei, and Garr were all considered as well. Ryu never was. For fans of it, if you want more Breath of Fire characters later on MvCI, make noise. They'll listen.

Dante isn't based on DmC (reboot) version, but classic Dante for those who are worried. Dante isn't based on the reboot version because DMC5 will be announced in 2017.

Batsu almost got passed over in favor of Akira and Yurika as the Rival Schools rep.

Edward Falcon was included on because Power Stone fit the Infinity Stone motif AND Power Stone is coming back.

Leon was included to hype up the RE2 REmake.

They went with Tessa over a 3rd Darkstalkers character because of her storyline connection with Doctor Strange (which was previously teased on UMvC3) that they want to expand upon in a meaningful way. Both are scientists who dabble in magic with an interest in the unknown.

Masamune Date got in to appease the Japanese fanbase and garner interest from them.

When it comes to Zero's exclusion, as far as I know, Zero's getting the Mega Man treatment this time around. Which is an odd exclusion given X is there. And back to 2vs2. But Zero got in TvC and both versions of MvC3 without X. So maybe that's their view? I can only assume they thought 3 MMX characters were too many. Zero might show up in the story mode though. I haven't heard anything for or against it, actually. But hold hope for that and DLC maybe. It'd honestly be surprising if Zero didn't even show up in the story. But X is the one of the focal storyline characters on MvCI, so they could be looking at it like not wanting to take away from X's glory. X might've been chosen and highlighted in such a way in spite of Zero. I'm really not sure. But Zero's exclusion, to me, seems to be the head scratching disappointment like Mega Man's was on both MvC3s.

Howard the Duck almost got in in place of Squirrel Girl. He just barely missed the roster, but fan demand could easily get him on MvCI.

As said, Rocket now has Groot included as an assist like Maya does for Wright in his moveset on MvCI.
Ant-Man is no longer in Hawkeye's MvCI Hyper. Hawkeye has a brand new one entirely. Wasp is in Ant-Man's moveset btw.

There will be characters not in MvCI's launch roster nor current DLC plans in the story mode ala SFV.

Akuma isn't part of the roster or even planned at the moment as far as I know. Could change though. I'd assume Akuma could make it in because of possible XvsSF pack plans.

Fans will likely wind up dictating more X-Men DLC than the 3 they have planned. They are aware of that already. I wouldn't be surprised if they launch with only Ryu and Rashid. And then make Chun, Gief and Gill DLC in that XvsSF pack since 3 of each that way.

Lastly, my name is actually a hint as to when it comes out... At least that's the aim internally, barring any issues that arise.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Noob here..... I checked EBgames' "coming soon", and I see 2 games.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Marvel vs capcom Infinite

Are they different, or is 1 just a better version of the other?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad