Marty St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I echo this.

That said, The league ought to do all it can to work the Rangers schedule around the funeral of one of it's biggest star's mother. It's scheduling for the Rangers thus far as been detrimental, and it's not like there are too many other series to work around. There's no acceptable reason for the league to say "too bad".

There are 750+ reasons to deny requests to change schedules. It's more complicated than just saying yes, including arena availability, TV scheduling, and travel/officiating teams, off the top of my head.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Yeah it's starting to get very uncomfortable, I'm sure MSL has to watch the replay of the game with everyone else and just gets reminded 3-4 times a game,

I'm sure if he has any sense he watches the Canadian feed instead.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If Sather is making this an issue on TV, there would be evidence of such, no? One wouldn't need sources to tell them that's happening?

No he's saying that Sather has called out the NHL on making the passing of MSL's mother a focal point on their broadcasts every freakin' game

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
I mean no disrespect, but shouldn't MSL have the power to have the funeral on either Saturday or Sunday? I know how difficult the arrangements must be, but I would think that someone as powerful as MSL would be able to move the funeral back a day if he needed to.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
No he's saying that Sather has called out the NHL on making the passing of MSL's mother a focal point on their broadcasts every freakin' game

To be fair, MSG Network has made this a focal point on their post-game shows as well. If Sather had a problem with MSG, he could put a stop to it. Personally I cringe every time Giannone asks St Louis the same questions over and over again.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
The death of MSL's mother was probably the turning point in the series so naturally the media is going to harp in it. Unfortunately, the NHL isn't going to work around your schedule regardless of the circumstance, you have to work around their's.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
Just received a phone call from a high ranking MSG source concerning the NHL and Rangers in a big time dispute.

Marry St. Louis mom will be laid to rest Saturday afternoon in Quebec the Rangers have formally requested to the NHL to not play on Saturday at all. The NHL offices have currently denied the request and insisting the Rangers play Saturday which would mean the Rangers would be playing without the Star winger..
my sources have stated that Glen Sather has personally called out the NHL with their handling of the St. Louis tragedy and making it a focal point on TV.. and now basically telling the Rangers Tough Luck.. See beating Sid really upset Gary Boy

Do you have a source for this?

There's zero chance that the NHL is going to postpone a game that has close to 20000 ticketholders, and is going to be nationally televised to accommodate 1 person's personal request.

And you can say what you want, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense for MSL to have the funeral pushed back then to push back an NHL game.

sark76

Oct 9, 2011
Pripyat Marshes
There are 750+ reasons to deny requests to change schedules. It's more complicated than just saying yes, including arena availability, TV scheduling, and travel/officiating teams, off the top of my head.

As angry as it gets everyone...this is the cold hard truth.

LGR33

Jan 7, 2012
Orange County, NY
To be fair, MSG Network has made this a focal point on their post-game shows as well. If Sather had a problem with MSG, he could put a stop to it. Personally I cringe every time Giannone asks St Louis the same questions over and over again.

This. I am amazed how well MSL has handled it. He has more patience with Giannone then anyone should have to have.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
My original point was that one of our options was to keep Callahan, which was actually more about keeping our first round draft picks. Callahan did pick up 6-7 goals, if I remember correctly, in our run to the ECF two years ago, so there is every possibility he could have contributed just as much as St Louis, and we could have kept our draft picks.

I do realize there is the further variable that Callahan is a UFA after this year and St Louis not until after next year, but declaring the trade a success because the Rangers are still playing and Tampa Bay is not is internet argument level ridiculous.

For sure. I don't disagree at all. I just think that it should be pointed out that, while that argument is ridiculous, there is something to a more rational, stripped down version of it, which draws attention to the fact that Callahan didn't do well this postseason while Marty has done well all things considered.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
How is it postponing when it isn't even officially on the schedule yet?

Just because there's no official schedule doesn't mean it's not scheduled.

Both arenas in montreal/boston are likely booked already for saturday's game. Staff at those arenas have probably been told to be ready to come in for work if necessary on saturday. The network's booked for that timeslot already. etc etc.

There's a lot of planning that goes into this. They don't wait until friday and say, ALL RIGHT, LET'S GO PLAN THE GAME!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

If anything, I think it would be that Sather is calling them out for making it such a big deal, then not allowing flexibility for something they profited from. There is a small amount of hypocrisy there.

That being said, I'm not sure why the NHL would accommodate this request anyway. Fugu's point is right. If the NHL did that now, they would be doing it all the time.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
If anything, I think it would be that Sather is calling them out for making it such a big deal, then not allowing flexibility for something they profited from. There is a small amount of hypocrisy there.

That being said, I'm not sure why the NHL would accommodate this request anyway. Fugu's point is right. If the NHL did that now, they would be doing it all the time.

The fact MSL's mother's being brought up so often doesn't seem right. It has NOTHING to do with the game. It's a personal matter and should stay that way.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Just received a phone call from a high ranking MSG source concerning the NHL and Rangers in a big time dispute.

Marry St. Louis mom will be laid to rest Saturday afternoon in Quebec the Rangers have formally requested to the NHL to not play on Saturday at all. The NHL offices have currently denied the request and insisting the Rangers play Saturday which would mean the Rangers would be playing without the Star winger..
my sources have stated that Glen Sather has personally called out the NHL with their handling of the St. Louis tragedy and making it a focal point on TV.. and now basically telling the Rangers Tough Luck.. See beating Sid really upset Gary Boy

I didn't know the Conference Finals Schedule was set yet.

So, from this can we assume that we start the next series on three days rest?

And requesting that the NHL not play AT ALL seems pretty arrogant and far fetched.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The fact MSL's mother's being brought up so often doesn't seem right. It has NOTHING to do with the game. It's a personal matter and should stay that way.

Please. It has everything to do with the game. These aren't video game characters being controlled by a detached user.

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
I didn't know the Conference Finals Schedule was set yet.

So, from this can we assume that we start the next series on three days rest?

And requesting that the NHL not play AT ALL seems pretty arrogant and far fetched.

That's why I'm skeptical of all this. It doesn't sound like something even Sather would do. And that's on top of the fact I'm not seeing this anywhere but Dagoon's post.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

That's why I'm skeptical of all this. It doesn't sound like something even Sather would do. And that's on top of the fact I'm not seeing this anywhere but Dagoon's post.

Making some allowances for Dagoon's grammar... I think you guys are reading that wrong. If true, the request was made to the NHL and that request was that the Rangers don't play at all on Saturday, whether it be an afternoon or night game.

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
Making some allowances for Dagoon's grammar... I think you guys are reading that wrong. If true, the request was made to the NHL and that request was that the Rangers don't play at all on Saturday, whether it be an afternoon or night game.

Yeah I just re-read it and you're right, but still, it's not like the NHL can schedule games for whenever they want. Other things are going on at the arenas after all. Plus, it wouldn't be fair to the other teams for the NHL to make a schedule change because Sather asked.

However, I think this rumor is a load of BS. A legitimate news source would've picked up on it already if it was true.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

The NHL needs a network game for the 1PM Saturday slot and unless Anaheim wins tonight, they are playing Game 7 on Friday night. There is no wiggle room for the NHL.

Twice in the past few years I have had to juggle a family funeral around business and I understand these decisions are very difficult. I had hoped the funeral would be on Thursday or Friday. I hope whatever happens, the St. Louis family can find some peace and solace.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
We had to play 5 games in 7 days. Boston or Montreal can play on Friday easily

Edit: NVM game 7 kings ducks is Friday. Still no reason they can't play sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad