Confirmed with Link: Marty St. Louis selected for Hockey Hall of Fame

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
upload_2018-6-27_18-57-2.png

It was nice meeting Marty years ago before my beer league game.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Our first true Bolt in the HOF! Well deserved. I remember people doubting he would get in because of some arbitrary reasoning.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Great player, love seeing small guys make NHL executives look stupid, but the immature way he left TB does sour it. Terrible professionalism.

Reactions: berlin

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Our first true Bolt in the HOF! Well deserved. I remember people doubting he would get in because of some arbitrary reasoning.

To sound perfectly sanctimonious those reasons were never valid. No one needs to debate semantics or make point adjustments because it should have been obvious to everyone who watched him that Marty St. Louis was a Hall Of Fame player by about 2010 and it was only really a question how much jimmie rustling would we get if he didn't have 1000 career points despite the fact he began his NHL career in his mid 20's in the dead puck era.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
MSL might be the best "late-bloomer" of all time. I can't think of anybody else who didn't become an NHL regular until they were 25, didn't "break out" until around 27, and went on to be a perennial threat for the Art Ross, two time winner, not to mention that little old Hart Trophy. Maybe I'm over-looking somebody, but I think MSL was the guy who almost single-handedly changed a lot of perceptions. I mean, to this day, you hear people say, "he's a new MSL," and, even though it's never true, we know exactly what that means--small, over-aged, and being denied opportunity.

My own favorite memories of MSL are a lot different. When I was a kid, he played most of his minor league career locally, with the now-defunct Saint John Flames. Funnily enough, three future TB Lightning--MSL, Corey Stillman, and Dwayne Roloson--are probably the three best players to come through that system (Although, if I remember correctly, Roloson wasn't actually all that good in SJ). Anyway, surprise surprise, MSL was a dominant AHLer, to the point that it was hard for the Flames to keep him down there, but, of course, when they brought him up, they didn't exactly give him a chance to shine. And I remember the talk among the adults in the arena about how he was going to be a great AHLer, but he'd never be big enough for the NHL. He was already 23 or 24 at the time, after all, and, usually, if a guy isn't showing it in the NHL by that age, it's just never going to happen. Little did they know they were talking about a guy who, within about five years, would be the NHL's MVP.

It really is a story of hard work and dedication and just never, ever, ever taking "no" for an answer.

Last edited:

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Broke my heart and showed a side I didn’t think he had, but still happy for him.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Marty coming up in the induction. Mr. Vinik is there.

Bettman spoke for a long time, but he was pretty interesting.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I bet Cooper's heart broke when Marty didn't mention him when he said he wanted to name a few coaches in particular then went through Ramsey, Sullivan, Tocchett, Torts etc. Then when he was exiting the stage, Coop got a formal handshake and the rest o the boys got bro hugs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad