Confirmed with Link: Marty St. Louis selected for Hockey Hall of Fame

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Avs fan here,

Don't really wanna reopen the wound for y'all but I figured this would be the best place to ask, why did St.Louis want to leave TB for New York? I remember hearing rumours that even years before it happened he requested it. Why would he want to leave when TB was still clearly a contender and was a life long Lightning?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Marty played at the 1998 IHL All-Star Game in Orlando while he was with the Cleveland Lumberjacks. I remember being midkey sort of grumpy during that game that the Solar Bears weren't the ones to get him.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Avs fan here,

Don't really wanna reopen the wound for y'all but I figured this would be the best place to ask, why did St.Louis want to leave TB for New York? I remember hearing rumours that even years before it happened he requested it. Why would he want to leave when TB was still clearly a contender and was a life long Lightning?
I choose to believe it was for family reasons more than anything else. Maybe he knew his mom wasn't doing well. His wife wanted to be up north too, and he wanted his kids to get better hockey development. That's enough reasons for me.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Avs fan here,

Marty and his family live in CT. I want to say Greenwich due to it's proximity to NYC. But anyway Marty said a thousand times in public it was for his family so the Rangers make sense. The whole thing turned out really, REALLY shitty but I'll give Marty his due that no one ever played harder or gave more for the Lightning than he did. Because of that I got over the issue quickly. He'll always be my favorite despite the fact that everything could've been handled differently.

And as has been said, the Olympics snub was speculated to be a big deal

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Avs fan here,

Because he wasn’t selected to the Canadian Olympic team and was butt hurt over it. His whole moving because of wanting his kids to play in a more competitive hockey league was utter bull spit. But also I think a part of him wanted to experience playing in a big hockey market. Either way it was poorly timed.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Avs fan here,

I dont know how true this is but I heard that his wife really wanted to live in NY city at the time and he also wanted his kids to play hockey in a hockey market.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I dont know how true this is but I heard that his wife really wanted to live in NY city at the time and he also wanted his kids to play hockey in a hockey market.
Let's face it - the Team Canada thing played a significant role.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Marty and his family live in CT. I want to say Greenwich due to it's proximity to NYC. But anyway Marty said a thousand times in public it was for his family so the Rangers make sense. The whole thing turned out really, REALLY ****ty but I'll give Marty his due that no one ever played harder or gave more for the Lightning than he did. Because of that I got over the issue quickly. He'll always be my favorite despite the fact that everything could've been handled differently.

And as has been said, the Olympics snub was speculated to be a big deal
I mean, his mother was apparently in rough shape, and she did end up passing away during the playoffs a few months after the trade. So, personally, I'm thinking the "family reasons" excuse was pretty legit on this one.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
It was probably a combination of the Olympic snub, the allure of NYC, and his family. One of those things doesn’t seem like enough to demand a trade to a specific team but all 3? Sure

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
So I watched his speech, it was good but he did not mention Eric Perrin, that was a bit surprising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad