Martin St. Louis

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Since Stammer's injury Marty has 3 goals and 8 points in 9 games (0.89 PPG). With Stammer he had 7 goals and 16 points in 17 games (0.94 PPG). The only stat that has changed significantly is his +/- (+10 with Stammer, -5 without him).

Without Stamkos the team is 4-4-1 (50.0 P%), with Stamkos the team was 12-5-0 (70.6 P%). It's no surprise that the team is doing worse without Stamkos who scored 14 goals in 17 games which is more than a quarter of all Lightning goals in that time frame (25.45% of 55 goals).

Considering all those facts it's pretty impressive that Marty's production has hardly decreased. His goal scoring is a little down (0.33 GPG vs. 0.41 GPG) and NHL.com won't tell me how many primary and secondary assists he had before and after Stamkos' injury. And it's a small sample size after all.

But more or less you could say point production - check. How about the other facets of the game though? From watching him play I can't shake the feeling that his age has finally caught up to him. You could even go as far as last season. Both Stamkos and Marty seemingly scored at will last year but didn't play very well over all. It's gotten better this season - especially for Stamkos who arguably has played the best hockey in his entire career so far - but Marty seems to have lost a step or two. Almost every game he has at least one or two "WTF" moments, turning the puck over without being pressured at all, bad positioning or quitting on plays early which is very uncharacteristic for him...

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Actually, this only started after the blocked shot in the Minny game, he actually played very well overall in all the games prior to that. After that game he started doing all these "wtf" things like you mentioned, quitting on plays, bad passes, etc.

Regardless of point production, his play after that game is night and day. IMO he's masking on injury in order to make Team Canada, we all know how much it means to him, the past 4 years will have gone to waste if he doesn't make that team because of being out 2 weeks. Not to mention a gold metal is pretty much the only thing he's missing off his resume.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yzerman's in a bit of a tough spot for Marty and Team Canada right now. Because honestly, at this point, Marty doesn't deserve to make it based on his play this season.

We can say his point production is there, but it's been incredibly inconsistent. He'll score 3 points one night and then go scoreless for 4 games.

It doesn't look to me like he's lost any speed. He just seems a little weaker on the puck, and a lot more reluctant to go into dangerous scoring areas. I do think there's probably an injury at play, but I don't think it's the foot. Arguably his best game of the season came the next game after the foot injury.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Little surprised from an outsiders perspective hearing these thoughts on MSL . . . To a lot/most of us from a bit of a distance he seems dynamic as ever. Again, I expected a drop-off in MSL's perception (points, general play) with Stamkos' injury . . . I also know there are ebbs and flows during every season so Tampa's 4-5-1 over last 10 is something that happens to the best teams - even without an injured superstar - . . . I'm not convinced it's an endictment of MSL's faltering necessarily.

As a big fan of Marty, I hope things turn around as I think he's got 2 or 3 solid years yet.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Little surprised from an outsiders perspective hearing these thoughts on MSL . . . To a lot/most of us from a bit of a distance he seems dynamic as ever. Again, I expected a drop-off in MSL's perception (points, general play) with Stamkos' injury . . . I also know there are ebbs and flows during every season so Tampa's 4-5-1 over last 10 is something that happens to the best teams - even without an injured superstar - . . . I'm not convinced it's an endictment of MSL's faltering necessarily.

As a big fan of Marty, I hope things turn around as I think he's got 2 or 3 solid years yet.

Don't get us/me wrong -- no one's saying Marty's finished or anything. And no one's saying he won't bounce back (most of us, I think, believe there's an injury at play, although I don't think it's the foot while most do).

He simply doesn't seem like quite the same player. It's not so much about points as it is about creating scoring chances. We're used to Marty being dangerous pretty much every time he's on the ice, and that just hasn't been the case for most of the year, even while Stamkos was in.

A quick glance at some stats: Marty has 24 points this year, but he's been held off the score sheet 13 times.

He was held scoreless in 9 out of 14 games in November.

Some games Marty looks like Marty. In fact, in a couple of those scoreless games (San Jose comes to mind), Marty has looked like Marty. But he's been going invisible for long stretches, which is something we're not used to.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I am not buying into the injury to marty. I think basically teams had to key on stamkos right now they are keyed on marty a lot of times. This makes him less effective. They also have kept changing his line mates etc.. If someone gets hot like killorn did for a few games that will open up marty's game more.

I think he is fine just being hammered cause they have less concern of having the greatest sniper in hockey to make them pay or being aggressive. In time this will open up especially if others deliver which I believe they will.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Trade him now. His value will only go down and we won't be able to get much for him or he'll retire unexpectedly and we get nothing. We can probably move him and a 3rd for a top 5 pick right now. Maybe package him and a 2nd for Seth Jones.

Oh wait this is real life and not NHL 14. Hope he steps it up, at least he's getting points.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It doesn't look to me like he's lost any speed. He just seems a little weaker on the puck, and a lot more reluctant to go into dangerous scoring areas. I do think there's probably an injury at play, but I don't think it's the foot. Arguably his best game of the season came the next game after the foot injury.

Except he wasn't like this prior to the Minnesota game, might not be the foot, but somethings definitely up and it doesn't look like he's getting it properly treated. Also which game would you be referring to? He still clearly wasn't himself in the 3 point night Anaheim game, and the other 3 point night against the Rangers happened almost a month and a half later.

His 2 best games IMO was against Chicago in 2nd game of the season and LA game right before Minny.

I am not buying into the injury to marty. I think basically teams had to key on stamkos right now they are keyed on marty a lot of times. This makes him less effective. They also have kept changing his line mates etc.. If someone gets hot like killorn did for a few games that will open up marty's game more.

What? His play clearly dropped even before Stamkos was injured so that makes no sense, 2 points in 6 games up to the Boston game where Stamkos got injured.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Except he wasn't like this prior to the Minnesota game, might not be the foot, but somethings definitely up and it doesn't look like he's getting it properly treated. Also which game would you be referring to? He still clearly wasn't himself in the 3 point night Anaheim game, and the other 3 point night against the Rangers happened almost a month and a half later.

His 2 best games IMO was against Chicago in 2nd game of the season and LA game right before Minny.

What? His play clearly dropped even before Stamkos was injured so that makes no sense, 2 points in 6 games up to the Boston game where Stamkos got injured.

I agree with most of that about the injury. I think he probably does have something nagging him, it's just I'm not sold on it still being the foot because in all the ways a foot injury would hamper someone, as it did Vinny last year, he seems fine.

However, I do agree with Robert that part of what's happening is he's sucking up a lot of attention that Stamkos used to get. It could be a situation where he wasn't healthy when Stamkos was in, and now is, but is being focused on. You can definitely see him getting abused a little bit in battles, and getting teamed up on.

A good sign though is I think his best game might have been just recently against NYR. Probably had a bit to do with the matchup, but he was burning them with speed, similar to Tyler Johnson but with better finish.

Speaking of Johnson, if he could start finishing some of his chances, all the attention Marty is getting now could become a benefit.

Also, let's not forget the PP is sputtering right now, which cuts into everyone's production.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Since Stammer's injury Marty has 3 goals and 8 points in 9 games (0.89 PPG). With Stammer he had 7 goals and 16 points in 17 games (0.94 PPG). The only stat that has changed significantly is his +/- (+10 with Stammer, -5 without him).

Without Stamkos the team is 4-4-1 (50.0 P%), with Stamkos the team was 12-5-0 (70.6 P%). It's no surprise that the team is doing worse without Stamkos who scored 14 goals in 17 games which is more than a quarter of all Lightning goals in that time frame (25.45% of 55 goals).

Considering all those facts it's pretty impressive that Marty's production has hardly decreased. His goal scoring is a little down (0.33 GPG vs. 0.41 GPG) and NHL.com won't tell me how many primary and secondary assists he had before and after Stamkos' injury. And it's a small sample size after all.

But more or less you could say point production - check. How about the other facets of the game though? From watching him play I can't shake the feeling that his age has finally caught up to him. You could even go as far as last season. Both Stamkos and Marty seemingly scored at will last year but didn't play very well over all. It's gotten better this season - especially for Stamkos who arguably has played the best hockey in his entire career so far - but Marty seems to have lost a step or two. Almost every game he has at least one or two "WTF" moments, turning the puck over without being pressured at all, bad positioning or quitting on plays early which is very uncharacteristic for him...

http://www.extraskater.com/team/tampa-bay-lightning/2013/gamelog

Marty has 6 secondary assists this season, and there's the gamelog if you want to look at the games either before or after Stamkos' injury; I don't see an option that makes it any easier.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Don't get us/me wrong -- no one's saying Marty's finished or anything. And no one's saying he won't bounce back (most of us, I think, believe there's an injury at play, although I don't think it's the foot while most do).

He simply doesn't seem like quite the same player. It's not so much about points as it is about creating scoring chances. We're used to Marty being dangerous pretty much every time he's on the ice, and that just hasn't been the case for most of the year, even while Stamkos was in.

A quick glance at some stats: Marty has 24 points this year, but he's been held off the score sheet 13 times.

He was held scoreless in 9 out of 14 games in November.

Some games Marty looks like Marty. In fact, in a couple of those scoreless games (San Jose comes to mind), Marty has looked like Marty. But he's been going invisible for long stretches, which is something we're not used to.

That is a bit concerning . . . I wasn't aware of those stats.

I'll still go a bit with what Robertguess says, in that I have to think some of that or a lot of the lack of production in certain games is due to being keyed in on more than when Stamkos was in the lineup. And line juggling, different less-skilled mates makes a difference too.

I hope we see more of the magic for a few more years yet. His 1000th ceremony-night-game was unbelievable. Still showed it then that's for sure.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
well my thing is when killorn is with him killorn gets a lot of finishes and same thing with brown. So he is not invisible but constantly see him being hammered by guys bigger guys which when stamkos and killorn was with him they were not doing as much.

All teams are playing way more agressively against our power play it seems. We need a guy to get hot and get like 7 to 10 goals this month on power play on marty's line and him to get some assists and should open things up a bit again.

He proved to me in philly he can still play at that marty level.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Remember when Stamkos was healthy and Marty always tried to pass to him - even when he was in a perfect position to shoot the puck? Over the past couple of games Marty has changed his game quite a bit and doesn't hesitate to pull the trigger himself again. If he kept just a little bit of that when Stammer returns, the duo might be even more scary than they already were/are.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Remember when Stamkos was healthy and Marty always tried to pass to him - even when he was in a perfect position to shoot the puck? Over the past couple of games Marty has changed his game quite a bit and doesn't hesitate to pull the trigger himself again. If he kept just a little bit of that when Stammer returns, the duo might be even more scary than they already were/are.

If 9/26/18 continue to play well, I don't want to see Marty and Stammer back together. I know that might not be popular because Marty and Stammer are like BFF, but we might be in a position to ice two top-tier scoring lines. Imagine a top line of Flip-Stammer-Kucherov/Killorn, and following that up with 9/18/26.

We could potentially have:

Killorn - Stamkos - Filppula (C/RW interchangeable)
Palat - Johnson - St. Louis
Kucherov - Thompson - Purcell

And then mix and match a 4th line to your heart's desire: Pyatt/Crombeen/Brown/Labrie/Malone etc.

All three of those lines can score while playing good D though. We're going to be in a good position.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
MSL is on pace for his second highest goal scoring season in his career. He's also on pace for his second lowest assist totals of his career. (Not counting the lockout, obv).

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I like those three lines DFC. A line of Crombeen, Malone, and Brown would work for the 4th line. I like Browns ability and think he should stay up and get more experience. He plays well on D and makes plays happen. I can't wait to see this team fully healthy.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If 9/26/18 continue to play well, I don't want to see Marty and Stammer back together. I know that might not be popular because Marty and Stammer are like BFF, but we might be in a position to ice two top-tier scoring lines. Imagine a top line of Flip-Stammer-Kucherov/Killorn, and following that up with 9/18/26.

We could potentially have:

Killorn - Stamkos - Filppula (C/RW interchangeable)
Palat - Johnson - St. Louis
Kucherov - Thompson - Purcell

And then mix and match a 4th line to your heart's desire: Pyatt/Crombeen/Brown/Labrie/Malone etc.

All three of those lines can score while playing good D though. We're going to be in a good position.

You forgot Panik on your list of mix/match players.

I think Stammer needs to be with either St. Louis or Purcell, those are the two who know how to get him going the best.

Killorn-Stamkos-Purcell
Palat-Johnson-St. Louis
Malone-Filppula-Brown
Panik-Thompson-Crombeen

That's if and when everyone is healthy. Think Kucherov goes back when Stamkos comes back but possibly when Malone does. We just have too many guys and not enough spots when we're fully healthy.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

I've been thinking the same thing; that he shoots a lot more now. I just feel like when Stamkos gets back, Marty is almost always going to defer to him. I hope it's not the case.

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
I wouldn't mind trialing Stammer playing without Marty. I wouldn't mind seeing Stammer - Flip- Killorn on a line together. Killorn always plays better when he's less of an offensive threat than his other two line-mates.

I know people will hate this idea but why change a good thing that TJ, Palat and Marty have going when they are scoring against teams best defensive units.

Just something I wouldn't mind seeing for a game or two.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't mind trialing Stammer playing without Marty. I wouldn't mind seeing Stammer - Flip- Killorn on a line together. Killorn always plays better when he's less of an offensive threat than his other two line-mates.

I know people will hate this idea but why change a good thing that TJ, Palat and Marty have going when they are scoring against teams best defensive units.

Just something I wouldn't mind seeing for a game or two.

This is my thinking too. We could put defenses in a bind because they won't know who to put their top guys against. Someone's going to eat up secondary defenders.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Marty was named 1st star of the week:

FIRST STAR – MARTIN ST. LOUIS, RW, TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

St. Louis paced all skaters with five goals and eight points, highlighted by a four-goal performance Jan. 18 versus the San Jose Sharks, to help the Lightning (29-16-5, 63 points) maintain second place in the Atlantic Division. He began the week with one point in each of his first three games: an assist in a 3-2 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets Jan. 13, an assist in a 2 1 victory over the New York Rangers Jan. 14 and a goal in a 2-1 shootout loss to the New York Islanders Jan. 16. St. Louis then became the second player in Lightning history – and first since the team's first regular-season game Oct. 17, 1992 (Chris Kontos) – to score four goals in a game in a 5-4 loss to the Sharks Jan. 18. He also matched his own club record by tallying three goals in one period, last accomplished Jan. 15, 2004. St. Louis then closed the week by collecting one assist in a 5-3 triumph over the Carolina Hurricanes Jan. 19. The 38 year-old Laval, Que., native leads the Lightning and ranks seventh in the NHL with 25-25—50 in 50 games this season, including 8-4—12 during an eight-game point streak, the longest active streak in the League.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=701437

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Aside from that 10~ game "injury", Marty has been playing like a ****ing all-star.

No slight to Johnson and Palat, but the top-4 scorers in the league would look vastly different if Stamkos was healthy.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Is anyone else still bothered by the fact that he's so ****ing short? Just saying, grow a few.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad