Speculation: Martin McGuire on Hextall firing - Carey Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Elaborate how it was moronic, we got back frost and farabee, frost being the leader in th o right now and second place last year he has quite a promising future and if farabee plays out to be what he’s supposed to then there are two players at Brayden Schenn caliber or higher

I wouldn't go that far, prospects are just prospects, but people seem to forget the Flyers didn't trade Schenn for Jori Lehtera...they traded Schenn for 2 1st round picks (which they used very wisely) and took Lehtera as a cap dump.

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wouldn't go that far, prospects are just prospects, but people seem to forget the Flyers didn't trade Schenn for Jori Lehtera...they traded Schenn for 2 1st round picks (which they used very wisely) and took Lehtera as a cap dump.
The only thing about that Schenn deal that seemed odd was that Schenn is 3 years younger than Giroux and 2 years younger than Voracheck. So the logic was a bit off that you deal him to rebuild but still have those 2 on the roster.

Hextall did need a bridge goalie until Hart is ready. But, he might have expected Stolarz, a 2012 pick who is now 24 to be getting a shot in the net or Alex Lyon whom he signed from college a couple years ago. Vasilevski, Helly and Murray all came out of the 2012 draft.

Probably thought it would be a misuse of assets to get that veteran if you have kids that could take a run at the job.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Flyers fans are the best when it comes to goalies.

Hard to forget "top 10 NHL goalie" Steve Mason's reign of brilliance down in Philly.

Or was that Neuvirth?

Sorry, no, it was Stolarz.

Hey, is that Brian Elliott?

Oh look, Petr Mrazek!

My bad, that's Calvin Pickard.

That Alex Lyon kid is looking pretty good!

You are probably the only team in the league that runs a legitimate chance of ruining Carter Hart, who is easily the best goalie prospect from the WHL since Price.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The only thing about that Schenn deal that seemed odd was that Schenn is 3 years younger than Giroux and 2 years younger than Voracheck. So the logic was a bit off that you deal him to rebuild but still have those 2 on the roster.

Hextall did need a bridge goalie until Hart is ready. But, he might have expected Stolarz, a 2012 pick who is now 24 to be getting a shot in the net or Alex Lyon whom he signed from college a couple years ago. Vasilevski, Helly and Murray all came out of the 2012 draft.

Probably thought it would be a misuse of assets to get that veteran if you have kids that could take a run at the job.

Well, it's impossible to know ~tHe MiNd Of HeXtAlL~, but remember, he was looking at a forward group with Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, and Couturier, and he'd gotten a good first season out of Konecny and had just picked Nolan Patrick the day he made that trade. That was a pretty crowded top 6 already, and Schenn had more value than Simmonds but less team impact/utility than the others.

His best defensemen, however, were 19 and 23 years old with a 20, 21, and 22 year old between them expected to join the club shortly. Defensemen usually take longer to develop/peak than forwards.

So the idea was basically, they'd be building a team around these defensive prospects and this potential star center (Patrick) who had fallen into their lap, but they didn't have a lot of supporting talent in that younger age range up front. They traded Schenn for 2 firsts and used them both to pick potential top 6 forwards (Frost and Farabee). So now you have, ideally, a second forward corps in the juniors to come in when the defense is ready and the current group are aging out.

It's pretty appealing, honestly, and they will have a ton of options in 5 years. The guy lost his job, though, because he seemed to always be thinking like an HF poster (the picks! the prospects!) and not working towards putting a good product on the ice anytime soon, which is pretty offensive to a fanbase that has consistently expected April and May hockey, and extremely unfair to one of the greatest hockey players to ever wear the uniform (Claude Giroux).

Reactions: SabresSharks

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
McGuire, radio host, cites reasons that Hextall got fired, such as the trading of Brayden Schenn.
Then he says that the Philly media blame him for not doing everything to get Carey Price when he wasnt doing too well last year.

thats got to be BS , right?

Ron Hextall congédié (en partie) à cause de Carey Price?

That’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard on here and that’s saying something. Giroux being involved for an average overpaid goalie lol

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
That’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard on here and that’s saying something. Giroux being involved for an average overpaid goalie lol

"Simmonds or" Giroux (like they have similar value) PLUS Hart, no less. He's right, Hextall could've offered that, if he'd been recently lobotomized.

Is this like, a vintage take? Because back when the Habs were trying to decide between Halak and Price long ago, they reportedly offered the Flyers one of them in exchange for a rookie Giroux. Even Paul Holmgren was smart enough to pass on that, what, 10 years ago?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So much this.

I think Philly is trending up. They have Carter Hart who may very well be their Goaltender of the future. If I was philly I would do a lot of sitting on my hands and continue to build the system for when Hart is ready, then look out.

That's the real catch that got Hextall fired. There's really not a lot to do there...they've got Hart, and a handful of other promising goaltending prospects in the pipeline...but there's really nothing you can do to accelerate that. You're just waiting...and in the meantime, bad goaltending can absolutely sink a team, and it can be really embarrassing.

Seems like the patience of ownership just sorta hit a breaking point. They want somebody who can do something to fix the goaltending in the meantime, to at least make good on some of these prime years of Giroux and a collection of other good players who aren't getting any younger. I mean, you've got this star player in Giroux who is gonna be like 32+ by the time Carter Harter is really ready to take the mantle? And they've already done plenty of waiting on a number of these defence prospects coming to bear fruit at the NHL level.

Obviously there's something to be said for patience and staying the course, but there's also gotta be an element of frustration when you've got a really good group of forwards...and are starting to get a decent group of defencemen together, who should be able to compete for a playoff spot. But you're still just sorta having "patience" preached at you waiting for the goaltending to come around.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa

I think Hextall was in a tough spot. He wanted to rebuild but those above him wanted to compete. He couldn't blow everything up so he had to compete during a rebuild. It makes no sense. Philly accepted the Sixers rebuilding and also the Phillies. The Philles were in the same spot years ago. Bad contracts and no specs. Most Flyers fans were willing to go thru a rebuild since they had no cap space, specs, and some bad contracts, but like I said, the higher ups wanted to compete. I think Stolarz blowing out his knee really hurt them. They really need a capable vet defenseman. McDonald is their vet along with Gudas. They don't need a top guy, just a serviceable 2nd pairing vet.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
yes that's sustainable

Wait. Are you implying that a Flyers stop gap - you know, where goalies go to die - has the stats to be.. lets call it 'average' at best, stats in a world where the team he plays for is literally bottom three? It seems you are insinuating the Flyers are being bouyed by the elite play of Bran Elliott.

You cant really believe that... can you?

Or are you implying, as a (presumably, based on your avatar) leafs fan, that the Canadiens are a much better team than their 11-9-5 record implies, and are being held back by their goaltending performance of the 'best goalie in the world', carey price.

Please, please, tell me which it is that you believe is 'unsustainable' - the play of an average goalie playing a terrible team, or the play of an elite goalie on a team that is winnin despite their goalies shortcomings.

Its rhetorical, obviously, despite my sarcasm. We''re happy. Candaiens are happy. No need to turn it into any more or any less.

Last edited:

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I haven't heard Philly media mention price since him and halak were competing for the starter job. I don't see any interest in him for Philly now.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Some media like nick kypreos is saying that the 76ers have passed the flyers in terms of demand for tickets. And thus Comcast isn’t happy.

Philly missed out on Andersen in 2016. Should have given up their 2016 first and 2017 which matched what Toronto gave up.

Or pick up bishops rights from LA in 2017.

But did they have cap space for those 2 guys? I think Bishop they should since you could scrub out Elliott for him and figure out the remaining $3 million.

They have a ton of cap space and did last offseason...don't recall what it looked like in 2016 but if I recall it was easily enough. They have about $7 million to spare with another $10 million in waivable cap (MacDonald/Lehtera).

If the Flyers had signed Bishop to the exact same contract as Dallas in lieu of signing Elliott, they would have had a few hundred thousand in space. If you reverse the Schenn trade since you would have had to give up a pick for Bishop before the draft, they would have been slightly over the cap without other moves. There were some reasonable avenues to do so, but they didn't have loads of space until this year.

They were tight up against the cap going into 2016-17. Andersen would have required either salary going back or another sizable move.

Holmgren's mess took forever to clean up.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Flyers fans are the best when it comes to goalies.

Hard to forget "top 10 NHL goalie" Steve Mason's reign of brilliance down in Philly.

Or was that Neuvirth?

Sorry, no, it was Stolarz.

Hey, is that Brian Elliott?

Oh look, Petr Mrazek!

My bad, that's Calvin Pickard.

That Alex Lyon kid is looking pretty good!

You are probably the only team in the league that runs a legitimate chance of ruining Carter Hart, who is easily the best goalie prospect from the WHL since Price.

OK, as a Flyers fan, I am somewhat indignant you did no go further - you are referring to only the past 2 years. Now multiply that by ten years to see how bad it is so you can appreciate what it is to have your team's ridiculous goaltending over the past 2 decades. You are selling our misery short! We have started like 40 goalies over the past 20 years I bet.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
This is just the Montreal media trying to present Price as the top goalie in the league despite failing to win about 90 % of his starts over the last month

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The rumor I've read that makes more sense to me is that the higher ups wanted Hextall to fire Hakstol and hire Quenneville, Hextall wouldn't do it, and that was the "unyielding" hill that Hextall died on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad