Speculation: Martin McGuire on Hextall firing - Carey Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Yeah.. it's one thing to say "he never managed to get a good 1st goalie" (god knows we were on bergevin's back for a 1C), but quite another to blame him for specifically not picking up one player.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Philly is in a good spot going forward, so many good young players. They have had 30 years to find a #1 goalie and never done it, why blowup a promising group of young players to get one now?

I also have a feeling Hextall would understand the importance of a goaltender.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Is this guy any relation to Pierre? He sounds like he is.

doubtful.. Pierre was born in Jersey (which is why i made sure to put the first name in the title). The quote specifically says that this is in the medias in Philly.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Philly is in a good spot going forward, so many good young players. They have had 30 years to find a #1 goalie and never done it, why blowup a promising group of young players to get one now?

lol i was thinking about it.. I think Hart would have had to come back in that deal, which is anothe reason i call BS

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018

So much this.

I think Philly is trending up. They have Carter Hart who may very well be their Goaltender of the future. If I was philly I would do a lot of sitting on my hands and continue to build the system for when Hart is ready, then look out.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Hindsight is going to be a mofo on this one. I have a feeling that Hextall will turn out to have been on the money with his plan. I still don't understand if this comes down to the feeling on Hakstol or however you spell it. If Im the GM, and I want to keep the coach, and the owner doesn't, couldn't the owner tell me to crap in my hat and fire him anyway? Or fire us both? It just seems crazy I was listening to NHL radio and they thought this was the basis of everything but if that's the way you feel, why would you fire the guy who disagreed with you and keep the guy who was the source of the disagreement? SMH.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Part of the reason Hextall was fired is because of a lack of interest locally to go to games. You could find tickets on stubhub for well below cost, and the games were frequently not selling out, because no one was interested in the product. So now they are going to make 'win now' style moves (read:not contending, just enough to get people to buy tickets again) moves so that they arent losing revenue anymore.

What they fail to understand is that people arent going to games because the coach plays a mind-numbingly boring system that people have no interest in watching - last night was a perfect example. Take a 2 goal lead into the third, then sit back and basically play the equivalent of a 'protect' defense.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Some media like nick kypreos is saying that the 76ers have passed the flyers in terms of demand for tickets. And thus Comcast isn’t happy.

Philly missed out on Andersen in 2016. Should have given up their 2016 first and 2017 which matched what Toronto gave up.

Or pick up bishops rights from LA in 2017.

But did they have cap space for those 2 guys? I think Bishop they should since you could scrub out Elliott for him and figure out the remaining $3 million.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
So much this.

I think Philly is trending up. They have Carter Hart who may very well be their Goaltender of the future. If I was philly I would do a lot of sitting on my hands and continue to build the system for when Hart is ready, then look out.
Hakstol is still our coach... up means down and he said the only bad starts came against BUF and TOR..... I guess he forgot about giving up 5 goals to TBL, 6 to NYI, and a current 1-5-1 record in the past 7 games.

Reactions: ArchAngel55

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Some media like nick kypreos is saying that the 76ers have passed the flyers in terms of demand for tickets. And thus Comcast isn’t happy.

Philly missed out on Andersen in 2016. Should have given up their 2016 first and 2017 which matched what Toronto gave up.

Or pick up bishops rights from LA in 2017.

But did they have cap space for those 2 guys? I think Bishop they should since you could scrub out Elliott for him and figure out the remaining $3 million.

They have a ton of cap space and did last offseason...don't recall what it looked like in 2016 but if I recall it was easily enough. They have about $7 million to spare with another $10 million in waivable cap (MacDonald/Lehtera).

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I was always a little torn about the Schenn trade. I thought he would be a 30/35/65 guy and moving a 26 year old top 6 forward on a rebuilding team seemed odd especially since Hexy seemed fine with the other older core players. That being said there was certainly no outrage over the trade. It was always known to be a loss for now and hopefully win for later.

I could see Homer and the owners being pissed that Hexy traded Schenn though. He was a guy homer brought in was a young piece to the puzzle and obviously helped the team win now which is what ownership wants.

As for Price, literally nobody with a brain ever suggested it. Of coarse you would occasionally hear someone say we should trade for him but it was always some idiot that didn't know his cap hit or the cost it would take to get him.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
McGuire, radio host, cites reasons that Hextall got fired, such as the trading of Brayden Schenn.
Then he says that the Philly media blame him for not doing everything to get Carey Price when he wasnt doing too well last year.

thats got to be BS , right?

Ron Hextall congédié (en partie) à cause de Carey Price?

I'm more upset with the players he actually got, then a guy who not many Flyer fans wanted in Price. The trading of Schenn was moronic. The signing of JVR was moronic

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Of course you don't. You like to keep sucking at goalie position since forever.
This is an odd post coming from a guy who's name is CapSpace.

Don't get so offended. Sometimes it's just about the team's situation. The Flyers aren't ready to win right now, they need to get their young D some experience.

Bringing in Price at $10.5m a year until he's 39 would mean that Carter Hart wouldn't get a chance to start until he's 28 years old. That makes no sense.

It also means that at least one of Provorov, Konecny, or Patrick wouldn't be able to be resigned because of Price's cap hit.

It would also mean the Flyers would have to give up someone like Hart, Sanheim, or Patrick in a trade to acquire price.

I wouldn't want to deal with any of those three situations let alone all of them.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
I'm more upset with the players he actually got, then a guy who not many Flyer fans wanted in Price. The trading of Schenn was moronic. The signing of JVR was moronic
Elaborate how it was moronic, we got back frost and farabee, frost being the leader in th o right now and second place last year he has quite a promising future and if farabee plays out to be what he’s supposed to then there are two players at Brayden Schenn caliber or higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino