Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
SJSharks

Jones 5.75 x 4 years
Ryan Merkley

DetroitRedWings

Thomas Greiss, 3.6 x 2 years

What needs to be added? Wings have cap space, Sharks need to move Jones. Retention? More picks? Wings can use him as a backup or buy him out in a couple years while they wait for their team to become competitive through its recent picks.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sharks say no. They aren’t competing and moving their top prospect and their only prospect with elite potential isn’t happening. Also keeping Jones allows us to finish lower since he sucks.

Reactions: themelkman

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Sharks should hold onto Merkley. He has more value to them than he will around the league. As bad as Jones’ contract is, they aren’t gonna be contending anytime soon so why move a prospect just to clear a contract. Jones will also help the tank for the next couple years. If we had too, I’d rather buy our Jones in a year or two

Reactions: themelkman

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I want the sharks to suck next year to increase the likelihood of getting a franchise prospect. That means Jones stays. Barring finding a way to move Vlasic, I don’t see a way the sharks can be in contention any sooner than in 3 more seasons, which means you may as well keep Jones.

Definitely not paying a top prospect to get rid of him. And Detroit would be right to not take any less.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
After signing this deal and giving up what he did for Erik Karlsson (who the Sharks 100% didn't need,) I'm shocked Doug Wilson even has a job. He really shouldn't be employed by San Jose anymore. That's not the guy I'd want to chart a course for a rebuild.
What does this have to do with the proposal?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The proposal involves Martin Jones. Martin Jones is god awful and Doug Wilson is the one who acquired him/signed him to that deal hence why I'm discussing why he deserved to be fired for doing so. :thumbu:
Jones also brought us to the finals. Not saying it’s a good deal but your post does not contribute anything to this proposal.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
"Elite potential" is a very hyperbolic, lets be honest with ourselves here
Merkley definitely has elite potential. Will he reach that? Probably not but he definitely has elite potential.

Ryan Merkley is the definition of boom/bust player. He could land anywhere from Madison Bowey to prime Erik Karlsson. Now I see him becoming a Justin Schultz type player where he’s an offensive second pair option but to say he doesn’t have elite potential is dumb.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
No. We’re not in contention. Let’s tank and hold onto one of our better prospects.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Merkley definitely has elite potential. Will he reach that? Probably not but he definitely has elite potential.
Maybe we just have different takes on what caliber of prospect we view as elite but Merkley is solid prospect, but a late 1st rounder who hasn't really played any AHL/NHL games doesn't scream future elite NHL player to me.

Also didn't he have attitude problems that caused him to fall in the draft? I'm fairly confident it was Ryan Merkley but it could have been Nick.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
SJS should just buyout Jones if they are really that desperate to get rid of him. It's honestly not that bad of a buyout, unless your team really needs every penny of cap space this offseason. And Detroit has no need to take on this anchor of a contract, even if Merkley is a good sweetner. Doesn't make sense for either team.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Maybe we just have different takes on what caliber of prospect we view as elite but Merkley is solid prospect, but a late 1st rounder who hasn't really played any AHL/NHL games doesn't scream future elite NHL player to me.

Also didn't he have attitude problems that caused him to fall in the draft? I'm fairly confident it was Ryan Merkley but it could have been Nick.
He did have alleged attitude issues but there’s been no evidence of attitude issues since he left the Petes. If Merkley is able to figure out the defensive side even slightly he could easily be one of the best players from that draft. He is one of the most naturally skilled players from that draft. Now I also said similar things about Bracco so I could be wrong but I also guessed Garland being good right so not the best track record but also not the worst. :laugh:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
He did have alleged attitude issues but there’s been no evidence of attitude issues since he left the Petes. If Merkley is able to figure out the defensive side even slightly he could easily be one of the best players from that draft. He is one of the most naturally skilled players from that draft. Now I also said similar things about Bracco so I could be wrong but I also guessed Garland being good right so not the best track record but also not the worst. :laugh:
haha fair enough. Hopefully those were more the byproduct of being an immature teenager rather than conflict creating personality flaws like DeAngelo.

I hope he works out for you guys, and Karlsson/Burns are pretty great mentors for a young offensive defensemen.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
haha fair enough. Hopefully those were more the byproduct of being an immature teenager rather than conflict creating personality flaws like DeAngelo.

I hope he works out for you guys, and Karlsson/Burns are pretty great mentors for a young offensive defensemen.
That’s what it seemed like. There were no issues (at least publicly) in last year-year and a half and the issues that he had with the Petes seemed to be more of with the coach rather than the teammates but I could be misremembering.

I think having Burns/EK are the main reasons Merkley isn’t in the NHL. Let him learn the pro game and get top minutes in the AHL/juniors rather than play 7-10 minutes a night on the bottom pair. We will have to wait and see what happens by the end of this season. I think lots of Sharks prospects will get chances in the NHL towards the end of the season.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Jones has value to us in helping us tank. Merkley has super high potential and is our best prospect. This makes the situation far worse for SJ.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
SJSharks

Jones 5.75 x 4 years
Ryan Merkley

DetroitRedWings

Thomas Greiss, 3.6 x 2 years

What needs to be added? Wings have cap space, Sharks need to move Jones. Retention? More picks? Wings can use him as a backup or buy him out in a couple years while they wait for their team to become competitive through its recent picks.

this is just silly .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad