Proposal: Martin Jones to DRW

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Yzerman hasn't been taking any cap players on the team longer than a couple years. I don't see him taking a 4(3ish) contract to the team.

Detroit is also loaded on RD prospects, so I wouldn't think Merkley would be an ask.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
SJS should just buyout Jones if they are really that desperate to get rid of him. It's honestly not that bad of a buyout, unless your team really needs every penny of cap space this offseason. And Detroit has no need to take on this anchor of a contract, even if Merkley is a good sweetner. Doesn't make sense for either team.

This. No need to move Merkley when you can just buyout Jones. It's actually a silly idea, this proposal.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
This. No need to move Merkley when you can just buyout Jones. It's actually a silly idea, this proposal.
If Nashville found it acceptable to be paying Turris $2 Mil until practically the end of this decade to get some cap breathing room, I see no reason why the Sharks couldn't do the same with Jones. It sure does suck but they are going to be a bad team for the foreseeable future so it doesn't really matter. The cap will increase over time too, so by the end of it Nashville will be committing less than a percent of its cap space to the buyout. Hell, Detroit bought out Abdelkater and they have the most cap space in the league this season and next.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
If Nashville found it acceptable to be paying Turris $2 Mil until practically the end of this decade to get some cap breathing room, I see no reason why the Sharks couldn't do the same with Jones. It sure does suck but they are going to be a bad team for the foreseeable future so it doesn't really matter. The cap will increase over time too, so by the end of it Nashville will be committing less than a percent of its cap space to the buyout. Hell, Detroit bought out Abdelkater and they have the most cap space in the league this season and next.

Agreed on the long-terms implications of a buyout. The idea of this trade is that if the Sharks can unload Jones, they can use that buyout on Vlasic instead. Then the Sharks will have money to fill out their roster with more productivity.

Reactions: Kcoyote3

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Agreed on the long-terms implications of a buyout. The idea of this trade is that if the Sharks can unload Jones, they can use that buyout on Vlasic instead. Then the Sharks will have money to fill out their roster with more productivity.
There are two problems with the Sharks. Jones and Vlasic. The default appears to be wait out their contracts and hope they turn around. That's not going to work. Sharks should be trying to offload them now. Kane, Couture, Hertl, Meier, Labanc, Leonard, Donato, Ferraro are fine to build around. Burns and Karlsson will be our defensive core for the foreseeable future. Sharks have to solve their goaltending, and they have to move or buyout Vlasic. But it will be extremely hard to buyout Vlasic after buying out Jones. He should be moved and give up a good asset to do it. Either to Seattle or someone else.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
If the sharks are rebuilding as they should be, we should keep Jones. He alone takes us out of winnable games and is an excellent object lesson for young goalies on what not to do. If we are to have any hope of sucking as much as Detroit and Ottawa to aquire top picks its through Jones. His contract has 3 seasons after this one and we can buy out the last year if necessary.

Now Vlassic is a different story. If the Wings were willing to take Vlassic a deal around Merkley + I would love that. But I'm pretty sure Detroit runs away screaming from that idea.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
No thanks to this deal.

Sharks are not competing any time soon baring a miracle, so getting rid of Jones is pointless at this time. Off loading Merkley when Burns is aging and Karlsson cannot stay healthy/play up to his contract could be a really bad move moving forward.

Jones is an issue, but just one of them, getting rid of him is not going to make a big enough impact to fix this team. We need to tank, which means Jones contract is fine, and will help us hit the cap floor while doing so, and be done/buy out-able by the time this team needs the extra cash.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Sharks should hold onto Merkley. He has more value to them than he will around the league. As bad as Jones’ contract is, they aren’t gonna be contending anytime soon so why move a prospect just to clear a contract. Jones will also help the tank for the next couple years. If we had too, I’d rather buy our Jones in a year or two

Sharks already have Burns and Karlsson at RD on unmoveable deals. Merkley's buried except when Karlsson's hurt or they move Burns to forward.

After signing this deal and giving up what he did for Erik Karlsson (who the Sharks 100% didn't need,) I'm shocked Doug Wilson even has a job. He really shouldn't be employed by San Jose anymore. That's not the guy I'd want to chart a course for a rebuild.

You're totally, 100% right, and yet it's almost unfair to bring in someone else and expect them to fix that mess.

IMO San Jose needs to back the truck up to Seattle to take Vlasic and Jones, then start the rebuild. Yes it'll take longer than most rebuilds.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
If we ever want to finally draft some top talent we’ll need Jones to carry us to last place. No other goalie has his ability to utterly crush the team they play for like Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad