Speculation: Martin Hanzal?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
It's rumored the Coyotes are almost certainly going to trade Vermette, so it doesn't make sense for us to trade to Hanzal, especially with his bargain contract.

If we traded Vermette (which is extremely likely at this point) and Hanzal, it would leave Sam Gagner as our only top-9 capable NHL center, which is a recipe for disaster.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not including prospects, I think Hanzal is our most untouchable piece after OEL. I'd move Yandle before Hanzal.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It's rumored the Coyotes are almost certainly going to trade Vermette, so it doesn't make sense for us to trade to Hanzal, especially with his bargain contract.

If we traded Vermette (which is extremely likely at this point) and Hanzal, it would leave Sam Gagner as our only top-9 capable NHL center, which is a recipe for disaster.

You mean like this season? :laugh:

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Yeah Hanzal has to stay. It's never worth arguing his value anyway since all outsiders see are 3rd line stats, injury history and suspensions. At least OEL garners good offers. If we traded Hanzal we'd immediately pine for him and be placing all our hopes on MacInnis to be "the next Hanzal".

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah Hanzal has to stay. It's never worth arguing his value anyway since all outsiders see are 3rd line stats, injury history and suspensions. At least OEL garners good offers. If we traded Hanzal we'd immediately pine for him and be placing all our hopes on MacInnis to be "the next Hanzal".

Gaudet as well.

It all depends on the return.... Hanzal isn't untouchable. Just expensive.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I would take him on Vancouver so fast it's not even remotely funny.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002

That it's not even worth debating Hanzal's value as was proven immediately by the next poster.

Every fan desperately wants a Hanzal ("I'd take him on my team so fast") but they want him at a 3rd line price and believe they can argue with us that he's only really worth a collection of whatever spare parts they have. It's been repeated so many times.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Gotcha. I thought it was some reference to the penalties at the end of the game.

Yes, fans of every team want him but then talk him down as a low point scoring 3rd liner.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The problem with trading for a Hanzal is that he's a key part of your team, but would only be a third liner on a team looking to make a deep run. He's the guy a team wants to trade picks and prospects for at the TDL so don't expect roster players to be offered for him. Is he worth more, perhaps, but he's not a guy that a team would be looking to build around at his age and with his skill set.

Likely all this means is that he stays a Coyote for a long while.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
What about something along the lines of Hodgson, St. Louis' 1st and a prospect like Connor Hurley? I just feel like he'd be a perfect #3 long term with the Sabres.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What about something along the lines of Hodgson, St. Louis' 1st and a prospect like Connor Hurley? I just feel like he'd be a perfect #3 long term with the Sabres.

Hodgson has negative value, so no.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Kessel for Hanzal + 1st or,
Kessel + Bozak for Hanzal + Doan + 1st

Arizona improves in the goal-scoring department, Toronto in the defensive side of the game

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Kessel for Hanzal + 1st or,
Kessel + Bozak for Hanzal + Doan + 1st

Arizona improves in the goal-scoring department, Toronto in the defensive side of the game

If you don't mind waiting until 2017 for that first round pick, sure.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
If you don't mind waiting until 2017 for that first round pick, sure.

The proposal was for example's sake, Hanzal is the centerpiece. Toronto could benefit greatly from having a guy like Hanzal at the Coach's disposal. Would the Coyotes be interested in JvR/Hanzal swap?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The proposal was for example's sake, Hanzal is the centerpiece. Toronto could benefit greatly from having a guy like Hanzal at the Coach's disposal. Would the Coyotes be interested in JvR/Hanzal swap?

Not until the center situation is figured out. As of right now, it looks like AZ will be missing a #1 and #2 center come next year. That's why Bozak would be appealing. Trading the 2015 first round pick isn't an option until the draft order is solidified. If that pick is 6+, I'd probably do it. 2016 is absolutely out of the question.

Hanzal becomes available when he's the third best center on the team.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
2016 is absolutely out of the question.
Why is 2016 absolutely out of the question? I thought 2015 was supposed to be the best draft in years?! I'm starting to think almost every year is touted as the best draft in years.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why is 2016 absolutely out of the question? I thought 2015 was supposed to be the best draft in years?! I'm starting to think almost every year is touted as the best draft in years.

Even if it's the most remote of chances, the Coyotes can't trade away the potential of having Auston Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad