Confirmed with Link: Martin Brodeur to retire; will remain with Blues front office

GhostofKenKlee

Marty has joined the blues front office, I'm shocked.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Wow, I'd love to hear why he didn't end up in the Devils front office.

Whatever it is, it'll make either Marty or Lou look bad or both.

GhostofKenKlee

Devils I don't think have that position. Maybe he's sour at Lou and the new owners?

Vice versa?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Good for him. I prefer he starts there and gets experience before coming back to NJ. If he just jumped in under Lou folks would scream nepotism if he faltered at all. Let him cut his teeth there then eventually work back to NJ down the road.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Good for him. I prefer he starts there and gets experience before coming back to NJ. If he just jumped in under Lou folks would scream nepotism if he faltered at all. Let him cut his teeth there then eventually work back to NJ down the road.

True, there would be a lot more pressure on him in NJ than anywhere else.

I still think the team could have easily created a position for him if both sides wanted it.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
True, there would be a lot more pressure on him in NJ than anywhere else.

I still think the team could have easily created a position for him if both sides wanted it.

I'm sure they could have and I don't doubt for a minute Lou already has a standing offer to do so if he retired but I really think it's best for both sides that he's taking this route.

Just like when Mac was named coach, I think there's way to much "weirdness" when you have authority roles for former players that have to call the shots on their previous teammates. In a few years he'll be ready for the GM job and Lou will be ready to hang them up and most of the veteran players he played with will be gone and everything can slide into place.

I'm excited to see what he can do.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Brodeur named Assistant GM with Blues

Renaud Lavoie @renlavoietva · 14m 14 minutes ago
Martin Brodeur is retiring fromm hockey. Should be name assistant GM of the St-Louis Blues. #tvasports

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Here's a link to a Pro Hockey Talk article just in case:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...artin-brodeur-to-retire-become-blues-asst-gm/

Interesting to me is that Mary will retire to take front office job. I had thought maybe he was staying with St. Louis in case there's another goalie injury, but if he's signing retirement papers, that thought's out the window.

I really hope Marty comes back to NJ. Perhaps the issue is that Lou isn't a great "teacher" / delegator, so Marty feels that learning somewhere else is the right move? I guess we'll here a bit more at the Thursday press conference.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Here's a link to a Pro Hockey Talk article just in case:

prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/27/breaking-martin-brodeur-to-retire-become-blues-asst-gm

Interesting to me is that Mary will retire to take front office job. I had thought maybe he was staying with St. Louis in case there's another goalie injury, but if he's signing retirement papers, that thought's out the window.

I really hope Marty comes back to NJ. Perhaps the issue is that Lou isn't a great "teacher" / delegator, so Marty feels that learning somewhere else is the right move? I guess we'll here a bit more at the Thursday press conference.

Better to learn around players you don't have personal connection with.

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
Thinking closer, it would be lousy for him to leave St. Louis this season. They accommodated him when they didn't have to. Glad to see he's coming back next season.

And this day officially marks the day where I become an adult. Watching Marty play represented my childhood to me. It was the most exciting part of growing up. No thoughts on contracts, cap hits, stats and other nonsense. Just watching a legend in the making, the only constant and stability NJ has seen through their success and a true once in a lifetime player. I was a kid growing up in the Bronx and could have easily become a Rangers fan, especially with family influence. But, mostly because of Brodeur I defied. I kept that with me when I moved 60 miles north.

The next time you visit the Prudential Center, remind yourself that it's the home that a few great men built and are responsible for, and Martin Brodeur was one of them. As Devils fans, we know what we've witnessed with Marty. We know that he was a massive part in the saving of this franchise. I can look back through the mid-90's and pick out many of spectacular saves in the playoffs that very well could have been the reason that hundreds of plane tickets to Nashville were never printed.

Thanks Marty, we'll see you when you arrive home next season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad