Marner vs Suzuki

Which player would you rather have on your team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
You do realize that Suzuki had a career high of 41 pts in the regular season the last time he made the playoffs?
He's a ppg player now. Seeing how good he was in the playoffs then, it is logical to believe he's would be even better now when he's a much better hockey player.

It was also a lot easier for Marner to put up numbers when he was surrounded with Matthews, Nylander, and Tavares. Suzuki was playing in a defensive system and was surrounded with guys like Toffoli, Gallagher, and Caufield who had almost no nhl experience.

It's actually not logical to believe he would have the same increased production in the playoffs. In fact, I think you would find that the majority of data goes completely against what you're saying. These types of things aren't linear, and there are enough variables that you can't call it logical.

Right, surrounded by the same players that are labelled chokers on this site in the playoffs. What a huge edge Marner must have being surrounded by all the players who become less productive in the playoffs. You're also ignoring any possibility of Marner increasing his production in the playoffs. What do you think has a higher probability, Marner improving his playoff production to match his regular season, or, Suzuki magically raising his ppg in the playoffs to match Marner's regular season ppg?

Again, you subjectively prefer Suzuki, and that's fine.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's actually not logical to believe he would have the same increased production in the playoffs. In fact, I think you would find that the majority of data goes completely against what you're saying. These types of things aren't linear, and there are enough variables that you can't call it logical.

I didn't say the exact same increase relative to his reg season production. Just an increase. Suzuki has shown to be a good playoff performer over a good sample size. There's no reason to believe that won't be the case moving forward.

Suzuki was the best skater on a team that made the cup final. Marner is often the most disappointing player on a team that can't make it out of the 1st round despite being seen as a contender. Not sure how anyone can argue Marner is a better playoff performer than Suzuki. Even leafs fans hate Marner in the playoffs and want him traded every time after it's over.

Right, surrounded by the same players that are labelled chokers on this site in the playoffs. What a huge edge Marner must have being surrounded by all the players who become less productive in the playoffs. You're also ignoring any possibility of Marner increasing his production in the playoffs. What do you think has a higher probability, Marner improving his playoff production to match his regular season, or, Suzuki magically raising his ppg in the playoffs to match Marner's regular season ppg?

If the habs and leafs both make the playoffs over the next several seasons, I'm pretty confident Suzuki will look better than Marner. I mean, after all, in the last 2 times when both the habs and leafs made the playoffs, Suzuki looked a lot better than Marner.

Also, points are great, but goals and timing are important too. Marner has 2 goals in his last 25 playoff games... He also doesn't produce much when it matters the most. In elimination games (leafs can win/lose a serie), Marner has 1 goal 6 pts in 12 games.
Suzuki has 4 goals and 10 pts in 10 games.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Love Suzuki and Cs get a bonus but the talent gap is fairly substantial.

I'm sure we'll hear Marner is overpaid but not many wingers compare well.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Regular season Marner playoffs Suzuki. Individually Marner will always out produce Suzuki but in the playoffs I'd rather have Suzuki who I believe is better suited for the grind that happens there. However talent wise yes Marner pretty clearly but as Leafs have proved talent alone doesn't do it in playoffs.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Regular season Marner playoffs Suzuki. Individually Marner will always out produce Suzuki but in the playoffs I'd rather have Suzuki who I believe is better suited for the grind that happens there. However talent wise yes Marner pretty clearly but as Leafs have proved talent alone doesn't do it in playoffs.
this should be everyones answer

Reactions: 82Ninety42011
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad