Marner vs Suzuki

Which player would you rather have on your team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Marner is easily better but Suzuki is the clear answer imo.

Guys like Marner will get you through the regular season and into the playoffs, but you just can't win with someone like that in the playoffs. He's shown it time and time again, just go ask even the biggest Leafs fan or go read through their Marner thread every playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: EquivalentStay

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Guys like Marner will get you through the regular season and into the playoffs, but you just can't win with someone like that in the playoffs. He's shown it time and time again, just go ask even the biggest Leafs fan or go read through their Marner thread every playoffs.

Yet Marners playoff PPG is .84 vs .71 for Suzuki......

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Marner is better now by far and will continue to be better in the future. Suzuki will never get a Marner type of contract because he's tiers below him.

- Better producer in regular season
- Better producer in post season
- Better defensively
- Produces in context to winning games, Suzuki just puts up #'s on a bad team, someone is going to get those opportunities, the Habs are trash.

Habs fans aren't worried about the playoffs for a while look at their team.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Yah and now let's compare how many games Suzuki has played in his 2 post-seasons vs Marner in his 6.

That's the difference between the two...they're just built different. Go ask Leafs fans if they care more about how many points Marner gets or how far he advances in the playoffs (round 2 would be a start).

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Marner, pretty easily here.
He's struggled in the big playoff games but that's more of a team issue, imo. He’s still young and should eventually figure it out.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009

Yes go read the thread with the same 10 whiners whining in the most reactionary ways about everything, that will give you an objective view on Marner. He's not the reason we can't win, he's one of few players with a winning pedigree pre-Leafs.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Show proof that Suzuki is some sort of playoff warrior in comparison to Marner please.

Until then I'll chalk up your opinion as a Homer Habs fan who is unable to think without bias.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Yah and now let's compare how many games Suzuki has played in his 2 post-seasons vs Marner in his 6.

That's the difference between the two...they're just built different. Go ask Leafs fans if they care more about how many points Marner gets or how far he advances in the playoffs (round 2 would be a start).
Lol wut. 32 gp vs 39gp.

Marner has been, and will continue to be a superior hockey player than Nick Suzuki.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Lol wut. 32 gp vs 39gp.

Marner has been, and will continue to be a superior hockey player than Nick Suzuki.

Isn't that what I said? You're getting angry for nothing lol.

That being said, I'll take the guy that advances past rd 1. Go read Marners thread during playoff times, everyone in there wants to trade him every year after rd 1

• Haha
Reactions: EquivalentStay

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Marner played with the support of players like Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Reilly on the back end in the playoffs.
Who did Suzuki have to play with? Pretty impressive by Suzuki all considering. And he's not afraid to get his nose dirty in the playoffs.

Marner is clearly more talented but what is he good for if he doesn't bring it when it matters? Thankfully for him, he's young enough to change his playoff legacy.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
Marner played with the support of players like Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Reilly on the back end in the playoffs.
Who did Suzuki have to play with? Pretty impressive by Suzuki all considering. And he's not afraid to get his nose dirty in the playoffs.

Marner is clearly more talented but what is he good for if he doesn't bring it when it matters? Thankfully for him, he's young enough to change his playoff legacy.

Do you even realize how ridiculous it is to say support in the playoffs while we've lost this many first rounds in a row? Like, seriously consider your arguments and ask yourself if they logically line up...

Reactions: Kelly and Voight

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Do you even realize how ridiculous it is to say support in the playoffs while we've lost this many first rounds in a row? Like, seriously consider your arguments and ask yourself if they logically line up...
It actually proves my point that Suzuki has done more and that Marner simply doesn't bring it in the playoffs. If Marner played with more grit when it counts, Leafs probably get out of the first round once or twice.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
It actually proves my point that Suzuki has done more and that Marner simply doesn't bring it in the playoffs. If Marner played with more grit when it counts, Leafs probably get out of the first round once or twice.

In what world do you actually think that makes sense? I'm genuinely confused how you can make the argument that Marner performs poorly in the playoffs, while he has a higher ppg than Suzuki, while also recognizing the Leafs failures in the playoffs, and somehow saying the higher ppg is because of a better supporting cast. You do understand what I'm alluding to right?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
In what world do you actually think that makes sense? I'm genuinely confused how you can make the argument that Marner performs poorly in the playoffs, while he has a higher ppg than Suzuki, while also recognizing the Leafs failures in the playoffs, and somehow saying the higher ppg is because of a better supporting cast. You do understand what I'm alluding to right?

In the previous 4 seasons, Marner averaged
0.36 goals/game and 1.2 pts/game in the regular season
0.15 goals/game and 0.77 pts/game in the playoffs

In the 2 years that Suzuki made the playoffs, he averaged
0.22 goals/game and 0.65 pts/game in the regular season
0.34 goals/game and 0.72 pts/game in the playoffs

It's pretty clear that Marners plays a lot worse in the playoffs than he does in the regular season, and Suzuki elevates his game in the playoffs. The eye test also proves that.

Suzuki is a much better player now than he was 2 years ago when he last made the playoffs at 21 years old, so his pts/game should be even better the next time he plays in the playoffs.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
In the previous 4 seasons, Marner averaged
0.36 goals/game and 1.2 pts/game in the regular season
0.15 goals/game and 0.77 pts/game in the playoffs

In the 2 years that Suzuki made the playoffs, he averaged
0.22 goals/game and 0.65 pts/game in the regular season
0.34 goals/game and 0.72 pts/game in the playoffs

It's pretty clear that Marners plays a lot worse in the playoffs than he does in the regular season, and Suzuki elevates his game in the playoffs. The eye test also proves that.

Suzuki is a much better player now than he was 2 years ago when he last made the playoffs at 21 years old, so his pts/game should be even bigger next time he plays in the playoffs.

Alright, so to be clear, you do realize that Marner's drop off in production is still higher than Suzuki's 'elevated' production right? You're using this as the argument to say Suzuki is better?

Also, I just want to clarify, I have no problem with someone saying they stylistically prefer Suzuki in the playoffs, I think there's enough weight to that for it to be subjective. However, the arguments being thrown around make absolutely no sense, even before we venture into their regular season play. Just say you subjectively prefer Suzuki, there's nothing wrong with it being as simple as that.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Suzuki and co beat this boys ass in the playoffs already and he just laid there and took it

I’ll take the guy who isn’t a total loser

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Suzuki is better than Marner. actually every player on Montreal is better than the players on Toronto.
Toronto doesn't even have a single good player just overpaid bums.
I mean how can you justify paying 40m towards a bunch of players that can't even get through the first round
Skinner> Matthews
Suzuki> Marner

Reactions: leafsfan5

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Alright, so to be clear, you do realize that Marner's drop off in production is still higher than Suzuki's 'elevated' production right? You're using this as the argument to say Suzuki is better?

Also, I just want to clarify, I have no problem with someone saying they stylistically prefer Suzuki in the playoffs, I think there's enough weight to that for it to be subjective. However, the arguments being thrown around make absolutely no sense, even before we venture into their regular season play. Just say you subjectively prefer Suzuki, there's nothing wrong with it being as simple as that.

You do realize that Suzuki had a career high of 41 pts in the regular season the last time he made the playoffs?
He's a ppg player now. Seeing how good he was in the playoffs then, it is logical to believe he's would be even better now when he's a much better hockey player.

It was also a lot easier for Marner to put up numbers when he was surrounded with Matthews, Nylander, and Tavares. Suzuki was playing in a defensive system and was surrounded with guys like Toffoli, Gallagher, and Caufield who had almost no nhl experience.

Suzuki was also clearly the better player when they faced each other in the 1st round.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Suzuki is better than Marner. actually every player on Montreal is better than the players on Toronto.
Toronto doesn't even have a single good player just overpaid bums.
I mean how can you justify paying 40m towards a bunch of players that can't even get through the first round
Skinner> Matthews
Suzuki> Marner
Literally all true, thanks for being brave enough to say this

• Haha
Reactions: 34 and bobholly39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad