Marner vs. Hischier

Better player when all is said and done?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, you’re still significantly downplaying Hischier’s offensive ceiling. Any other questions?

Nico's offensive ceiling doesn't compare to Marner's, come on. Marner is tied for 4th in scoring in the NHL with his PP getting extremely unlucky, he leads the league in takeaways IIRC and Tavares is off to his best goal scoring start ever playing beside him.

EDIT: Tied for 3rd actually, with McDavid.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Nico's offensive ceiling doesn't compare to Marner's, come on. Marner is tied for 4th in scoring in the NHL with his PP getting extremely unlucky, he leads the league in takeaways IIRC and Tavares is off to his best goal scoring start ever playing beside him.

Actually kind of amazing what his totals are given not very many goals as well as only what 4 secondary assists? He could actually have significantly more points. Maybe not so much on the goal scoring but on the secondary assists.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Actually kind of amazing what his totals are given not very many goals as well as only what 4 secondary assists? He could actually have significantly more points. Maybe not so much on the goal scoring but on the secondary assists.

Forgot to add, pretty significant lead in primary assists as well. His numbers aren't really all that unsustainable given just how many chances he generates night in and night out.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

You're right. When the Leafs get Matthews back tomorrow and the Leafs start getting more PP opportunities and Marner gets more than 2 PPP in 10GP he'll take off even further.

Reactions: Apotheosis

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I still think people project Dahlin's ceiling to be higher than Rielly's, although with a lot more uncertainty. If he ends up only as good as Rielly I would see it as a slight, but not large disappointment.

I didn't vote in that poll, too close to call, don't know enough about Dahlin yet, but I wouldn't fault anyone for voting for either.

If Rielly's peak is leading all defense. That's a damn fine peak. As for that thread's asinine logic;

"I dare someone to suggest picking Rielly over Dahlin"

"Dahlin AINEC" is the general consensus

"why would anyone take Rielly over Dahlin"

Go read it. You are allowed to project skill on Dahlin but not on Rielly. Who's still only 24 and I dare suggest hasn't peaked because defense men take awhile to ferment. And yet he's one of the top defenders right now.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
If Rielly's peak is leading all defense. That's a damn fine peak. As for that thread's asinine logic;

"I dare someone to suggest picking Rielly over Dahlin"

"Dahlin AINEC" is the general consensus

"why would anyone take Rielly over Dahlin"

Go read it. You are allowed to project skill on Dahlin but not on Rielly. Who's still only 24 and I dare suggest hasn't peaked because defense men take awhile to ferment.
Rielly's leading all d-men over 24 games on the back of a ridiculously high OISH%, a SH% that is 2.5 times his career rate, and 10PP points.

He's not the best defensemen in the NHL because of a really hot start. He's good, he's a 1D. He's not the best defensemen in the league.

Mar 26, 2010
The poll results here are absolutely comical.

This is Marner and not remotely close.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
You're the exception, not the rule. You have to admit though Pettersson winning was kinda sad. I mean the kid has already slowed down and people picked him over a guy who scored 40 goals right out of his draft year and one of a select few rookies in NHL history to eclipse 40 as a rookie.
Pettersson has.... 13 goals in 21 games. He's on pace for 49g and ppg..even though he missed 6 games. You can see why people think he'll be better than Matthews.

Also, Jesus Christ.... People think Rielly > Dahlin

It's almost like leafs fans are comparing rookies with players that are passed that stage in development.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

EDIT: Tied for 3rd actually, with McDavid.

Re-read my post. *hint - referring to Ryan O’Reilly*

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Pettersson has.... 13 goals in 21 games. He's on pace for 49g and ppg..even though he missed 6 games. You can see why people think he'll be better than Matthews.

Also, Jesus Christ.... People think Rielly > Dahlin

It's almost like leafs fans are comparing rookies with players that are passed that stage in development.

He was sporting a 40% shooting percentage. If you're going to use that, Leafs fans have every right to use Matthews 120 point pace to start the season. Pettersson won't be better than Matthews, I am sure of that. Absolutely elite player, but will not end up better than Matthews.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The majority of those goals came in his first 10 games or so. In his last 10 games, he only has 3 goals and 2 assists. This is also his D+2 year, while Matthews came right out of the draft and put up 40 goals.

That poll was premature and you know it too. If we want to revisit when the season is done then that's fine.

Reactions: Kelly

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
He was sporting a 40% shooting percentage. If you're going to use that, Leafs fans have every right to use Matthews 120 point pace to start the season. Pettersson won't be better than Matthews, I am sure of that. Absolutely elite player, but will not end up better than Matthews.
Yeah.. 11 games vs 20.. let's compare both rookie seasons, 8g/16p in 20 games...11g/21p in 20 games. Not to mention Pettersson is leading the league in s% with anyone above 40 shots (I expect this to go down).
I honestly think he will be, you can save this post and rub it in if not but only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad