Speculation: Marner to Islanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I was honest and respectful. Just speculating. I even said I didn’t expect him to leave the leafs and that he may not even sign an offer sheet.

That turned into the isles being irrelevant and have a fan base that doesnt support them and no home arena. Can’t even have a conversation on what the leafs would be willing to match and how that would effect the teams and the league.

Bull****. Its fairly obvious this thread would be controversial and you offer this immediately...

Getting nervous? Lol haha looks like Marner is having a pretty fun time with the isles to me!

What do you think you're adding here? You moan about not being able to have a discussion about "if the Leafs would match," "how it would effect the league," yet you mentioned nothing of the sort in your OP. Your OP just says Marner is friends with Martin, went golfing with the Islanders, and maybe that means he'll sign there. That would be devoid of substance on its own then your immediate follow up is the above, which again is pretty useless and glib. Not a worthwhile thread and unlikely to have been started in good faith.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
In that time frame, Leafs made it to the Conference finals 4 times vs the Islanders 0 times, so...not really. Also, you should probably ask the entire NBA universe on which parking lot they would rather be in right now. Lastly, who is PB?...

NBA universe? Seriously what are you even talking about.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Dude the raptors could win 15 straight championships and im sure not 1 islanders fan would care even a little bit. What this has to do with the NHL, mitch marner the islanders or islanders fans god only knows...

What does Mitch Marner and the 0% chance of him signing a offersheet from the GM who screwed him over in performance bonuses have to do with anything in reality?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Kind of like a team who signs a certain UFA that they really dont need (#91) and then cant afford their star RFA? That kind of foresight? Got it...
Can't afford? I wasn't aware that Marner was no longer a Leaf.

And get over the whole Tavares thing. If it was reversed and you signed him from the Leafs you 100% would not be saying this.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The OP proposal is unrealistic but this thread made me realize that all these years without winning Stanley Cup made leaf's fans brains scrambled. You can bring Gretzky back and you still will be CURSED FRANCHISE. The whole league were celebrating when PAJAMA BOY led you to a first round exit.
The whole team lost; not just Tavares. Lots of franchises haven't won; we will just have to work on a better team. The whole league was not celebrating when we lost to the Bruins anymore than when the Canes swept the Islanders. They don't really care. Both our franchises have work to do.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Dude the raptors could win 15 straight championships and im sure not 1 islanders fan would care even a little bit. What this has to do with the NHL, mitch marner the islanders or islanders fans god only knows...
I agree with you 100%. I will join the Islander fans in not caring.

Reactions: SteveH124

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I agree WTF is the NBA?
A more popular league then the NHL.

Now, realistically, the Leafs averaged 18k home/away last year as one of the best teams in the league. While the Nets, an average team,BTW, averaged 16k. 2k isn't that big of a discrepancy for somebody to flex numbers considering if the Nets were a little above average, they would have blown away the Leafs, a hockey team in Toronto, away in attendance.

You really can't compare sports. Basketball is and always will be the more popular sport.

As for Marner, if anybody thinks local sponsors will keep him away from an offer sheet, think again. A local sponsor in NY will pay him surely alot more considering its New York.

Leaf fans should be worried.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
A more popular league then the NHL.

Now, realistically, the Leafs averaged 18k home/away last year as one of the best teams in the league. While the Nets, an average team,BTW, averaged 16k. 2k isn't that big of a discrepancy for somebody to flex numbers considering if the Nets were a little above average, they would have blown away the Leafs, a hockey team in Toronto, away in attendance.

You really can't compare sports. Basketball is and always will be the more popular sport.

As for Marner, if anybody thinks local sponsors will keep him away from an offer sheet, think again. A local sponsor in NY will pay him surely alot more considering its New York.

Leaf fans should be worried.
Is it really? I have never seen a game. I don't live in Noth America where I am it is football ( the soccer kind 24/7 like I assume hockey is in Canada.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Is it really? I have never seen a game. I don't live in Noth America where I am it is football ( the soccer kind 24/7 like I assume hockey is in Canada.
It is.

Compared to the NHL, hockey isn't a blip on the radar in the states. Actually, football (soccer) gets more coverage as of late on ESPN, but that's really not saying much.

Truth- nobody in the states cares about the Leafs, or any Canadian hockey team in general outside of the die hards, and even that number isn't that big.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It is.

Compared to the NHL, hockey isn't a blip on the radar in the states. Actually, football (soccer) gets more coverage as of late on ESPN, but that's really not saying much.

Truth- nobody in the states cares about the Leafs, or any Canadian hockey team in general outside of the die hards, and even that number isn't that big.
And why should they. They have their own teams.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
And why should they. They have their own teams.
Exactly.

Which is why Marner signing an offer sheet with a US team and the Leafs running from it is better for the NHL.

My personal opinion is that to increase interest in the NHL in the states is to have all the better players playing here and let the rest play in Canada. A Canadian team hasn't won a Cup in a long time and from the looks of things currently, won't be winning one any time soon.

The Canadian hockey fan will go regardless if the team is good or bad.

Hence, put Marner here.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
How is this thread still opened? If a leafs fan started a Barzal to Toronto thread based on a pic at a charity event I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have got by page 2. Lol :laugh:
Hmm I think this thread is a bit ridiculous butttt .

Have you forgotten every thread every time anyone born in Ontario was about to hit rfa / ufa or looks slightly sad ?

Cuz it's happened with pretty much any good player from Ontario.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Exactly.

Which is why Marner signing an offer sheet with a US team and the Leafs running from it is better for the NHL.

My personal opinion is that to increase interest in the NHL in the states is to have all the better players playing here and let the rest play in Canada. A Canadian team hasn't won a Cup in a long time and from the looks of things currently, won't be winning one any time soon.

The Canadian hockey fan will go regardless if the team is good or bad.

Hence, put Marner here.
I am sure if the Islanders create an offersheet at a high enough number the Leafs will walk away. My personal feeling is that the Leafs will know by the draft whether they are in the ball park for what Marner wants and if need be , they trade him at the draft. If not they will either match or lose him to the offersheet.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Hmm I think this thread is a bit ridiculous butttt .

Have you forgotten every thread every time anyone born in Ontario was about to hit rfa / ufa or looks slightly sad ?

Cuz it's happened with pretty much any good player from Ontario.
Well Marner isn't from New York so I'm not sure what a troll thread has to do with past threads about leafs fans wanting hometown players on the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad