Speculation: Marner to Islanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
First, I believe it is highly unlikely that Marner isn’t on the leafs going forward.

But for the sake of argument and the fact that Marner is willing to listen to other teams offers I think it’s fair to speculate a bit. Marner has a few islanders connections. He’s played under Lamoriello while Lou was there. He’s extremely close to Matt Martin who is Mr. islander. Marner even comes to Long Island for matt Martins camps during the summer.

Now, we have Marner spending time with islanders players ( Josh Bailey Casey Cizikas Nick Leddy) and even matt Martin liking comments about Marner joining the isles.
Martin is definitely recruiting him.

The leafs will likely match any reasonable
Offer made to Marner and that’s if Marner even signs an offer sheet in the first place.

That being said it’s fun to speculate and with Lou you never know.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
The Leafs are a much more fun bunch to hang around with. Martin will come here during Caribana week to make up for the Coney Island excursion Mitch missed out on, and catch up on old times. So not happening.

/thread.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Getting nervous? Lol haha looks like Marner is having a pretty fun time with the isles to me!

Why would I be nervous when we will be in a good position next season to earmark our budgetbto submit an offer sheet to Barzal next year as our new 3rd line center and he accepts?...Works both ways, you know.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Why would I be nervous when we will be in a good position next season to earmark our budgetbto submit an offer sheet to Barzal next year as our new 3rd line center and he accepts?...Works both ways, you know.

Not going to acknowledge this thread but to be fair this is a really stupid post. Marner would only be leaving the leafs at all because they CANT offer a similar contracts to other teams.

Muh can and muh will or something though

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Not going to acknowledge this thread but to be fair this is a really stupid post. Marner would only be leaving the leafs at all because they CANT offer a similar contracts to other teams.

Muh can and muh will or something though

But you already acknowledged it by responding to me?...But seriously, other than the Matt Martin factor, why would he sign an offer sheet to join the Islanders?...Do you know how much he would lose in side sponsorship deals if he choose to leave?...(Chevy, Intact Insurance etc) The Marner camp are simply playing hardball, and this issue will be rectified sometime this summer and Marner will sign a long-term contract. So I’m not sure Joey Buttafuoco and his dilapidated car dealership can cover the losses that he would incur to recoup the losses in those sponsorship deals, but keep telling yourself that.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
But you already acknowledged it by responding to me?...But seriously, other than the Matt Martin factor, why would he sign an offer sheet to join the Islanders?...Do you know how much he would lose in side sponsorship deals if he choose to leave?...(Chevy, Intact Insurance etc) The Marner camp are simply playing hardball, and this issue will be rectified sometime this summer and Marner will sign a long-term contract. So I’m not sure Joey Buttafuici and his dilapidated car dealership can cover the losses that he would incur to recoup the losses in those sponsorship deals, but keep telling yourself that.

Again I’m not taking this thread seriously at all, just pointed out that your post was stupid and if any team does offer sheet marner, the leafs can’t do a god damn thing about it.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If your stupid enough to pay marner 11 million+ and give the leafs 4 1sts be our guest. We take that cap space and go get Panarin/Skinner while adding another top 4 rhd through trades. Rather make a deal though and see what marner brings back than gift him for 4 1sts. Lou seems pretty old school as a GM, would he be willing to throw and offersheet?

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Again I’m not taking this thread seriously at all, just pointed out that your post was stupid and if any team does offer sheet marner, the leafs can’t do a god damn thing about it.

Trade Johnson or Kapanen, Not re-sign Gardiner, create another Island. They are plenty of options the Leafs could pursue before a fringe NHL franchise decides to threaten us with an offer sheet. Just sayin...

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Getting nervous? Lol haha looks like Marner is having a pretty fun time with the isles to me!

You realize Lou Lamorello essentially screwed Marner out of money on performance bonuses then proceeded to hand them over to Matthews when he claimed that he doesn't hand them out right? Marner wouldve made a couple hundred more grand. Why would he do Lou Lamorello more favours? His agent already expressed frustration over it. I don't know why Isles fans are acting like theres a positive connection there when its the opposite. On top of that, Matt Martin is a 4th liner who may have 2-4 years left in the league. You think Marner is going to go to the Isles for that? Theres pics of him at Raptors games all the time and chilling with Matthews and the guys. Also, no offence but when is the last time a big time player went to Long Island? Why would anyone want to play for a team that doesn't even have a legit home arena, barely has any fans, outside of a year where they obviously overachieved, have been fairly mediocre for years and leave a situation where he's pretty much blessed? If he's signing an offer sheet its to a team like Colorado or the Rangers, nobody wants to play for the Islanders. You guys had to overpay Nelson by like 1.5M just to keep him there. I cant imagine what its going to cost to keep Lee there.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Why would he do that? He’s about to win a cup with the Bruins and the leafs are tied with the panthers for longest time without winning a playoff series.

Lol youre team is one of the most irrelevant franchises in sports. Maybe simmer down with the arrogance cause youre going to look really stupid when the Isles are at the bottom of the standings again.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Not really. Marner is closer to Martin in his personally life more so than he is with any current leaf.

Didn't realize you and Marner were bffs and know each other so well. Don't you think being from the GTA and living there all his life, he would have close friends from his childhood who you know, would most likely be in the GTA?on top of his family? :laugh::laugh: You think he's going to leave his family, childhood friends and his dream of playing for the Leafs to for Matt Martin? A guy who might not even be in the league for much longer? On top of that he essentially goes from one of the best cities in the world to a massive dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad