Proposal: Marner for B. Tkachuk

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
No shots for marner in 3 of the last 4 playoff games and a player who’s contract is a complete disaster for Brady Tkachuk, a player who plays a rustic game and plays more like his father rather than his brother. Sens should never consider this, he will be more valuable to their team whenever the Sens get back to the post season.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Toronto fans would love this deal but I don't think you win championships with players like Marner as your main building blocks. For what Marner is making he is a main building block for any team. Sens easily pass on that deal.

Toronto are going to have a hard time moving Marner for a player of Tkachuk's status. Marner makes elite level money and is far from elite. He took the team to the cleaners in contract negotiations right out of his entry level deal and it's clear as day he's nowhere near worth what he got. It is only because he's still young that some people refuse to see him for what he really is. Youth has a funny way of blinding people because of the "potential" thing. At the end of the day Marner is just another small winger who got way more than he was worth way too soon and is now going to be a cap problem for any contending team.

If Toronto does move him it will be to one of those teams who need to fill the cap space. No contending team is going to want an almost $11M small winger eating up their space. Especially for what he actually brings. He's a one dimensional player making elite level money.

Reactions: Patagonia

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Marner is a far better player, but the contract is ugly which brings his value down. I think the deal is fair for Tkachuk, but doubt the cheap EM would want to pay that much.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Marner is a far better player, but the contract is ugly which brings his value down. I think the deal is fair for Tkachuk, but doubt the cheap EM would want to pay that much.

You don't think he'd want to pay Marner 7 or 8 million? He's paying more for Chabot. Getting 3 or 4 million of cap paid by the Leafs is what makes this deal a consideration for Melnyk.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I don't hate this trade, I'd strongly consider, but at the end of the day I'm passing because we trade our biggest chip without addressing our D...and no I dont think the cap space addresses our D.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I wouldn't do this trade, but I do think a Marner to Ottawa deal could be worked out given the Sens are flush with young assets and Marner's contract would be extremely valuable to Melnyk.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I don't hate this trade, I'd strongly consider, but at the end of the day I'm passing because we trade our biggest chip without addressing our D...and no I dont think the cap space addresses our D.

Leafs retention is equal in cap savings as trading Nylander. Purpose of trading Marner is open more cap space. Leafs retaining that much cap space, they can easily get a better player than Tkachuk.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Honestly, I would think really hard on this one. I really love Tkachuk's attitude. If nothing else, he is incredibly entertaining.

I think Marner is the better player but he is very inconsistent and that's a pretty serious flaw to have if you want to win a cup.

Brady as good in every game I saw him play in.

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
Like Brady’s game a lot more than a one dimensional winger. I’d keep BT without a second thought. That’s not even taking into account cap
and salary. Toronto can keep their overpaid, one dimensional, soft as charmin, esport athlete who rode the jock of Matthews and Tavares.

Convert everything you just said about Marner (all incorrect btw) and that's equivalent to you as a poster.

Wow, horrifically ignorant and uninformed.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Conceptually I think this type of trade will happen during the flat cap era. Would Melnyk want an 11 million dollar player, even one as good as MM, especially when sending back little to no salary?

Pretty sure Marner is only a 7 mill real dollar player after his bonus is paid out

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
watching these early playoff games, we're reminded how important a scorer with size and grit becomes. there are no more enforcers. Tkachuk is invaluable. As a habs fan, i still question the drafting of KK. i also like marner, but the leafs have enough marners

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
You haven’t watched Marner play in these playoffs or hell any playoffs. Christ he’s frustrating to watch in big games
I love the recency bias and composition likely based solely on yesterday's game. He had one rough playoff game, lol. He has 17 points in 21 games, including 13 in 14 against the Boston Bruins (second place is Matthews with 8 in that span I believe), while mostly going head to head with the Marchand/Bergeron/Pastrnak line in both series. Over the course of those two series, he had a 50%+ xGF share against all three in over 100 minutes of ice-time, and managed to be only a -2 against Marchand, -1 against Bergeron, and evens against Pasta, despite Nikita Zaitsev being his most common defenseman in those matchups, and having Plekanec as the centre for about 40% of those minutes. He's not some Conn Smythe superstar in the playoffs thus far, but he's far from frustrating outside of isolated incidents (which every player has, even guys like Crosby & Malkin with their Smythe trophies and Stanley Cups).

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Depends on what you want.
If i want to do great during the season i take Marner.
If i'm wanting to win a cup than i'd easily take Tkachuk .

But you have to be "great" during the season to make it to the playoffs to win a cup...

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
That is absolutely not true. Matthews may not be the best playmaker but is by far the best goal scorer and defensively of our star players
Only Marner fanboys would think he is the best player on the Leafs. Matthews is the "guy" by far that makes the Leafs go. Matthews is a generational talent; Marner is "just" a very good player.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Toronto fans would love this deal but I don't think you win championships with players like Marner as your main building blocks. For what Marner is making he is a main building block for any team. Sens easily pass on that deal.

Toronto are going to have a hard time moving Marner for a player of Tkachuk's status. Marner makes elite level money and is far from elite. He took the team to the cleaners in contract negotiations right out of his entry level deal and it's clear as day he's nowhere near worth what he got. It is only because he's still young that some people refuse to see him for what he really is. Youth has a funny way of blinding people because of the "potential" thing. At the end of the day Marner is just another small winger who got way more than he was worth way too soon and is now going to be a cap problem for any contending team.

If Toronto does move him it will be to one of those teams who need to fill the cap space. No contending team is going to want an almost $11M small winger eating up their space. Especially for what he actually brings. He's a one dimensional player making elite level money.
I don't think many Toronto fans would want this deal. Marner is the better player.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I don't think many Toronto fans would want this deal. Marner is the better player.

Right now, maybe. But I guarantee Tkachuk is the player most everybody would want in the playoffs. Throw in Marner's $11M cap hit and I think you're seeing things through rose colored glasses. Outside of Toronto bias fans I can't think of a single reason most sane fans would not take Tkachuk over Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad