Proposal: Marner for B. Tkachuk

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Right now, maybe. But I guarantee Tkachuk is the player most everybody would want in the playoffs. Throw in Marner's $11M cap hit and I think you're seeing things through rose colored glasses. Outside of Toronto bias fans I can't think of a single reason most sane fans would not take Tkachuk over Marner.
The sanest reason is that he is the better player. That is why.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Sens Fans - If you were looking to trade Tkachuk, what would his value or expected return be? Curious on his value in general and unrelated to this OP.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Sens Fans - If you were looking to trade Tkachuk, what would his value or expected return be? Curious on his value in general and unrelated to this OP.

For myself unless he's part of a package for McDavid or Matthews (something generational) or getting a Lindros from Quebec to Philly type return, then I have zero interest in moving Tkachuk. It's not about skill level for me when evaluating BT as there are plenty of other higher skilled players out there (like Marner in this thread), but it's about the skill/grit combination that is so rare and impactful in today's NHL that BT possesses. Ottawa has been searching for a power forward for decades and now we finally have one. There's absolutely no reason to trade a forward that impacts the game like this unless there's other factors that come into play (Like $$$ because Melnyk). This is just my opinion but I don't think there's a more valuable trade asset out there than a premiere power forward (minus generational players) due to the rarity and difficulty of developing them.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

The issue is that trading Tkachuk makes no sense whatsoever for the Senators: in order for trading away Tkachuk to work for us, we'd need to be getting a top 5 pick or another very good cost-controlled young player and it would have to be a forward.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
The issue is that trading Tkachuk makes no sense whatsoever for the Senators: in order for trading away Tkachuk to work for us, we'd need to be getting a top 5 pick or another very good cost-controlled young player and it would have to be a forward.

That's not even close to good enough for me IMO. You can get a top 5 draft pick any year. You can draft a good cost controlled top 5 selected young player like Lucas Raymond (as an example) in every draft, he's not unique. That's not the case for a power forward like BT. They only come around so often. There's a premium for a forward like BT and the Sens lucked out getting one.

Last edited:

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Something a lot of people are not factoring in to trade value here ...

5 years of Marner

vs

9 (or more) years of Tkachuk

I’m a vacuum MM is better and more valuable. For Ottawa they would prefer to keep they guy who will be around longer.

Reactions: Altimus

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
How bout meow?

If the leafs fans arent fully convinced yet that they are missing a forward that has the exact skill set and character that Brady has, they likely will be soon.

I can see the case being made that Marner should be swapped for a good dman instead of another forward- but on the same note, I think we all know that the Sens would turn this trade down way harder than the Leafs would.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
How bout meow?

If the leafs fans arent fully convinced yet that they are missing a forward that has the exact skill set and character that Brady has, they likely will be soon.

I can see the case being made that Marner should be swapped for a good dman instead of another forward- but on the same note, I think we all know that the Sens would turn this trade down way harder than the Leafs would.
I think conceptually Dubas will consider trading MM to both alleviate cap issues and help his team’s defensive problems. Yes, they could certainly use Brady Tkatchuk, but their biggest need is on D. I’m wondering who that D man could be?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Mitch Marner is a very talented but complimentary player on a good team. Brady Tkachuk would be a leader on any team including a Stanley Cup champion.

Reactions: Hockeypete49

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Sens would keep Tkachuk easily

Each GDT on Leaf boards show how much fans are annoyed with Marner and continue to say how overpaid he is and want him traded but know his contract would ruin good returns.

But if Marner is dealt, they will address their desperate need of defensive help.

Reactions: SensFactor

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Hockey isn't all about points. Tkachuk is the kind of guy you need to win a playoff series, i would love him on the Rangers. Marner is good too but just a different style. Plus not too many teams want to take on that contract for a winger.

Marner is a great player and puts up more points but if Tkachuk becomes a 30-35 goal 35-40 assist player while doing what he does, wouldn't that be just as valuable depending on the team needs? It looks like bad value on paper and it probably is at the moment but it doesn't mean either player is bad.

I think you need to look at a trade like this from a playoff pov. Who do you think gives you a better chance at winning a tight, physical, grindy playoff series and maybe a few more losses during the season? Plus the cap savings which is an asset in itself, it's more than just "no, Marner scores 90 points, Tkachuk only scores 40."

Reactions: _Del_ and h2

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I would love to have MM on the Sens, he is a game breaker with tons of skill but I couldn't do it if the price was BT. To be honest, we need both guys (and a lot more) and hopefully we can draft a few of those pieces this year.

Reactions: h2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad