Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Duchene and Benn seem far enough off that I don't really think they're comparables -- are you talking after their ELCs? Backstrom is a bit closer but Marner still outproduced him quite a bit, at least 5v5 at a glance.

It's based on signing age, games played as of signing, and points as of signing.

The top 5 are Kovalchuk, Backstrom, Duchene, Ovechkin, and Benn. Stamkos is 6th.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
All I'm saying is that /60 doesn't matter as much to players, because durability matters.

It doesn't matter to players? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make now but total points scored in a season is definitely not more valuable when it comes to measuring offensive impact. It's how well they impact offense when they're on the ice. A player's career can derail if they suffer too many injuries and that's usually because they were injured so much they actually got worse at hockey. Matthews is still a top player in the league and a GM would be insane to put a wrench in contract negotiations with a 21yr old because he had a few injuries. You pay the kid for how well he plays hockey and move on.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If you're in Marner's camp, and you just saw the contract that Matthews just signed for, why would you settle for 8yrs x 10M?

I get that Matthews has the "center" factor, and the "goal scoring" factor, but Marner has lead our teams in points each of the last two seasons, and has turned out to be one of our better PKers... something we haven't trusted Matthews to do yet.

I think our management has treated the contract negotiations with our RFAs pretty poorly so far. This isn't taking a shot at Dubas, overall I'm a fan of him... but overall, they've handled these negotiations poorly. I think they should have taken the Chicago approach, and sign Matthews and Marner to identical contracts similar to what Toews and Kane had done.

At this point, I'm hoping for 6 years x 10M myself, but I'm doubtful that the Marner camp will be willing to go that low, and you really can't blame them.

Name one player that got top dollar for pk prowess. The difference between the Chicago situation is that Kane is better. Toews is the big C

Matthews is the better player and has the premiums

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
:laugh: So who would be more accurate, Corsica Or NHL.com??

:huh:

I just checked Evolving Hockey, and they have Matthews at 143 (same as Corsica) but has Marner at 139 (different from both Corsica and NHL.com)

How that happens, I have no idea.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Name one player that got top dollar for pk prowess. The difference between the Chicago situation is that Kane is better. Toews is the big C

Matthews is the better player and has the premiums

No, I get this... which is why I hope he settles for 10x6. But I understand where Marner's camp is coming from, and you can't blame them.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I just checked Evolving Hockey, and they have Matthews at 143 (same as Corsica) but has Marner at 139 (different from both Corsica and NHL.com)

If I were to guess, I would have thought that the NHL's stats are directly updated from the game logs that they collect in real-time... I would probably be less confident with Corsica and Evolving Hockey... but who knows... :dunno:

Regardless, Marner and Matthews are in the same tier was far as P/60 and EVP/60.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Lol, how a contract is viewed from non biased observers is your best indicator, not some fanboy on a bull board.
So let's say he's overpaid Nylander by $500k, Matthews by maybe $1 million, and somehow that's unforgivable?

If you want to complain about contracts......you see anything wrong with the Marleau or Zaitsev contracts? Matt Martin?

Now those were overpays to get angry about - None were core players.

Far more egregious than the piddly amounts that were actually talking about that were spent on the core pieces. What, maybe $1.5 more per season more than expected? Their contracts aren't impediments to the Leafs doing business like overpays to non-core players will.

If that's the only serious blemish on his record, I'm happy. He's not overpaying where it hurts the most - like the contracts referenced above.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't know if you are overvaluing Marners performance this year, or undervaluing Nylanders performance this year. Whatever it is, it reeks of recency bias.

If Nylander was in training camp and played with Tavares all season and had PP1 time, coming off his 60 point season, he could have easily put up 80+ points too.

Clearly watching him play in the WHC you can see he didn't forget how to play hockey.​

marner takes harder match ups; and plays on PK. Marner's career has been on an upward trajectory he got both kadri and marleau going last season

nylander cannot produce without matthews while matthews produces without nylnader

nylander is a good player but he is nowhere in the same ballpark as marner.

P.S. nylander's points against italy. latvia and norway where he put up points don't let that influence your own "recency bias". putting up points against weaker hockey nations who barely have any NHLers on their roster is not a way to gauge one's performance

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I'm going to quote you twice.

I wonder if one accounts for 5v5 only, and the other accounts for OT, 4v4, etc.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
If I were to guess, I would have thought that the NHL's stats are directly updated from the game logs that they collect in real-time... I would probably be less confident with Corsica and Evolving Hockey... but who knows... :dunno:

Regardless, Marner and Matthews are in the same tier was far as P/60 and EVP/60.
Someone on the Sens board did stats for NHL.com for a while and said they require 98.5% accuracy. I would trust NHL.com numbers.

Edit: The link is here: Sens coach for 2019-2020 Season

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
pay him. As long as you have Matthews Tavares Marner, Andersen and Rielly you can trade/promote and sign the bodies around them.

As long as you have NHL destined prospects like like Sandin, Lilygren, Bracco advancing from the Marlies, you can fill in the rest easily. You'll be able to keep one of Kapaenen and Johnsson, maybe both if Marleau/Zaitsev comes off the books...

Focus is Marner...he's our best player even if he's not a centre, he proved that last year. No brainer...you keep him and trade others out.

Reactions: DarkKnight

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Good for you Marner, put the screws to Dubas. I fully support you doing whatever it takes to get what you feel you deserve. Dubas made this mess, he attempted to take advantage of your home town love and exploit it while handing out all the riches to your foreign counterparts.

Marner 10.6m x 5y

A million more for Marner than Kucherov?

Give me Kucherov any day of the week.

Reactions: biotk

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
10x3 is an absolutely ridiculous ask. I would say that’s not even equivalent to the Matthews contract in terms of value. Thats a much more player friendly deal then what Matthews got.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superstar and biotk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad