Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVIII (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yea lets go to Russia! Didn't Nylander threaten the same thing with Sweden? Nylander had fools that gave him what he wanted, and Marner is hoping the same fools give him what he wants. Nylander might have gotten 2 million to play in Sweden (Marner may be able to demand half of that) and Ranta can get 4m to play in Russia (but ha, no escrow and wonderful culture of oppression), great choices compared what they can get in the NHL.
Nylander never threatened to go play elsewhere. They were just looking at worst case scenarios if they missed the deadline.

Reactions: stopclickbait

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Marner is waiting for Dubas to cave, while Dubas is waiting for Marner to cave and lower his ask/accept.

Is Marner going to get his $10.5 mil or is Dubas going to get his 7-8 year term at that rate?

What are the % odds of each occurring?
Where was it noted that Marner is after $10.5? Everything I've heard so far indicates he's after the same money as Matthews.

Also, the Leafs are fine with anything except 4 years.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Didn't the Leafs trade their 2020 3rd round pick to the Avs in the Kadri trade? Wouldn't they have to first re-acquire that 3rd round pick back from the Avs to send such an OS this summer?

yep that would be a sticking point good point, I know that the 1st doesn't have to be the very next one if its multiple. So we would be ok on the 1st not sure about other round picks though.

Anyway it would be very unlikely to happen, I was more just saying how much I rate Rantanen would of been happy with him if we ended up trading back in their draft

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Johnny Gaudreau is going to lose his **** if Tkachuk gets more than 7 AAV lol
And that is the question? How many teams have their own Gaudreau's to keep in mind, or RFA's of there own they have to consider before giving a player of equal or lesser caliber an insane offer?

Reactions: Jared Henderson

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Didn't the Leafs trade their 2020 3rd round pick to the Avs in the Kadri trade? Wouldn't they have to first re-acquire that 3rd round pick back from the Avs to send such an OS this summer?
I have no doubt that the Avs would trade back that 3rd for 4 frists and Matthews...

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Ranta looking at going over to KHL. Avs around 6.3M per max. He may make same/more net at 4M per at 15% tax and no escrow withholding in KHL. Maybe another 8.5M OS coming here? It looks like this is where teams are willing to go.

We have to wait til Ranta signs for Marner.

Dubas overpay goes down.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
And that is the question? How many teams have their own Gaudreau's to keep in mind, or RFA's of there own they have to consider before giving a player of equal or lesser caliber an insane offer?
Yes it is. Does Colorado want to piss over MAC? Does Tampa want to jump over Kuch? Every team has its best player and these young kids are going to have to fall into line. I think Point and Marner have best cases because they are each teams #2 and very close to top of food chain. I can't see Point being any less then 0.5M from Kuch so 9M seems right to me. Marner maybe 1M less then Matty so 10.5M seems right. But Ranta at same AAV as MAC does not make sense. So less than 6.3M for him. He might be the next guy for an OS. 8.5M gets him for sure. and Colorado takes the picks.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
I’ll be glad when marner signs so when Matthews misses his usual 20 games .or so to injury mitch can keep getting his points like he has done the last two years.

Posters act like losing Mitch is no big deal.

Reactions: dsred

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Yes it is. Does Colorado want to piss over MAC? Does Tampa want to jump over Kuch? Every team has its best player and these young kids are going to have to fall into line. I think Point and Marner have best cases because they are each teams #2 and very close to top of food chain. I can't see Point being any less then 0.5M from Kuch so 9M seems right to me. Marner maybe 1M less then Matty so 10.5M seems right. But Ranta at same AAV as MAC does not make sense. So less than 6.3M for him. He might be the next guy for an OS. 8.5M gets him for sure. and Colorado takes the picks.
Point will sign for less then Stamkos and Ranta will sign in mid 7s, as the Avs have already cleared that payment with Mackinnon. The only one that will take this to Dec is: Mr. Loyal leaf and home town boy who will keep demanding 3+ million overpayment, and destroy any chance of leafs contenting for the next 5 years.

Last edited:

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Point will sign for less then Stamkos and Ranta will sign in mid 7s, as the Avs have already cleared that payment with Mackinnon. The only one that will take this to Dec is: Mr. Loyal leaf who will demand 3+ million overpayment, and destroy any chance of leafs contenting for the next 5 years.
:biglaugh:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Point will sign for less then Stamkos and Ranta will sign in mid 7s, as the Avs have already cleared that payment with Mackinnon. The only one that will take this to Dec is: Mr. Loyal leaf who will demand 3+ million overpayment, and destroy any chance of leafs contenting for the next 5 years.
I think all these guys will sign just before camp gets going. It makes no sense for any of them to sign before then. Ranta not biting at 6.3M and Point not biting at 8M either. Why would they? Hang on and wait for more money. Anyone can make a mistake. The longer you wait the better chance a mistake is made.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd take Tkachuk at a 7.5mil long term offer-sheet and say bye to Marner in a heartbeat. Brings an element we don't have, and would be a sizeable cap savings on what Marner's demands are
Why wouldn't Calgary match that?

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Wow.
No wonder RFA's are not signing

Driasidel got 9 mil for 70 pts
Now a 100pt 0layer

They are low balling Ranta 6.3mil
That's a massive lowball for Rantanen. Funny how most of these comparables are likely looking for Aho money and our guy wants Matthews money. We have the opposite issue of most of these teams. Our guys get top dollar, and these other guys top players are on great contracts so they don't want to pay the kids above their stars (Gaudreau, MacKinnon etc have very team friendly deals)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What is striking this year is the big divides between what guys are asking for and what teams are offering. I can't ever remember the deltas being so huge. Tampa and Toronto are really up against it and can't afford to get into an escalation exercise.

Reactions: Popeye7735

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think all these guys will sign just before camp gets going. It makes no sense for any of them to sign before then. Ranta not biting at 6.3M and Point not biting at 8M either. Why would they? Hang on and wait for more money. Anyone can make a mistake. The longer you wait the better chance a mistake is made.

They should all hang out together until Dec 1st.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Because apparently they aren't wanting to pay him more than Gaudreau's 6.75mil. In all likelyhood they would match at that #, but it puts them in a spot they don't want to be it would seem
They may not have a choice but to pay him.
While he would be great on the Leafs, I'm sure they would rather get Marner signed instead of bringing in Tkachuk.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Because apparently they aren't wanting to pay him more than Gaudreau's 6.75mil. In all likelyhood they would match at that #, but it puts them in a spot they don't want to be it would seem
Tkachuk may be one of the guys that will have to be matched. Calgary will have no option, even though they don't want to be the one offering more.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We all know it is a game of negotiation here. Carolina said same sh*t about Aho and then guess what they almost thanked Habs for helping out in the negotiation. It is still an old boys club at NHL GM/owner level don't kid yourself. It would not even shock me if Habs colluded.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
We all know it is a game of negotiation here. Carolina said same sh*t about Aho and then guess what they almost thanked Habs for helping out in the negotiation. It is still an old boys club at NHL GM/owner level don't kid yourself. It would not even shock me if Habs colluded.
The difference between Carolina and the other teams with RFA's is that Aho is without a doubt the best player on the team, and they had no problem paying him as such.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Toronto paying Nylander more then him and Pastrnak is mindboggling...

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Marner is waiting for Dubas to cave, while Dubas is waiting for Marner to cave and lower his ask/accept.

Is Marner going to get his $10.5 mil or is Dubas going to get his 7-8 year term at that rate?

What are the % odds of each occurring?
Nice Choices, neither is happening, 8 years at 9.5 and he should send Dubas Roses every valentine's day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad