Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XVI (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Actually the history of the leafs has been the opposite - paying players for what they already accomplished, not for what they were likely to accomplish going forward. Overpaying bottom liners instead of paying for elite talent.

Finally, for the first time in my life, the leafs have a team that has dumped all the overpaid crap at the bottom of the roster and has somehow managed to lock in the most impressive group of young elite talent in hockey under the cap.

It's pre5ty damn exciting.
I don't disagree with you, but even with this wealth of talent, I feel they have managed to screw it up. Let's hope that you are right; but unfortunately, all I've seen in the past 50 years is overpaying for the past, and hoping for unrealized contracts for the future. The constant I see with the leafs (when you can print money without consequences) is over-estimating every players value. Doesn't even matter if they have played in TO or not, let's sign them and hope they are what we think they could be.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I was more impressed with his reel than his production, playing in the KHL is always a bit of an asterisk for me because you get weird veteran-heavy usage, a league full of Babcock style coaches. I'm hopeful that he's a better version of Zach Hyman and the risk is low. The reel is below if you haven't seen it, that's what changed me from meh to hopeful on him

Yeah I'm iffy on those highlights. Not sure if any of those skills that look impressive there - skating, size, hands, shot - are actually above average at the NHL level.

We'll see.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yeah I'm iffy on those highlights. Not sure if any of those skills that look impressive there - skating, size, hands, shot - are actually above average at the NHL level.

We'll see.
The speed, shot and tenacity look above NHL average to me in a slightly above average size package. It looks like he thinks fast enough to play though which is always the big item to me, that with speed could be a good player. I won't be surprised if we look at him and Johnsson as similar assets after this season, and won't be surprised if he bombs out of the NHL either, but the price and the risk are low

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
you can forget it if you want.

Dubas and I won't though.

Looks like you forgot the rest of my reply on actual GF%. Maybe you and Dubas forgot about those. You and dubas can consider expected GF all you want along with your expected cup. Be warned though, those GMs who care about actual results may be better positioned to win an actual cup.

Here was the full reply if GF% are not beneath you guys

Forget expected GF%, if we want to talk results what are the real ones GF%. And what about guys he acquired to replace these non-stat darlings Speezza 5-5 GF % 49.10%, Kerfoot 46.38%

Here are some of the the Leafs actual GF% last year

Gardiner 61.46%
Johnsson 61.18%
Marner 59.85%
Tavares 59.71%
Lindholm 57.50%
Hainsey 56.39%
Kadri 52.86%

Matthews 48.76%

May have got rid of some of the better performers in their role​

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I heard he was a tough son of a gun to play against. But video looks more like a soft player who is taller than other soft defenders. We will see what happens when he goes into the corner with a bigger tougher NHL defender. Until then who knows just another guy trying out.

Reactions: seventieslord

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015

We'll see.
At least this is "let's see" contract. If it doesn't work out the leafs won't have to give up a first-rounder to get rid of it. hopefully, the Clarkson, Marleau, Zeitsev contacts are the thing of the past. Not sure they are with the Nylander, and what could be the Marner contract...

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Looks like you forgot the rest of my reply on actual GF%. Maybe you and Dubas forgot about those. You and dubas can consider expected GF all you want along with your expected cup. Be warned though, those GMs who care about actual results may be better positioned to win an actual cup.

Forget expected GF%, if we want to talk results what are the real ones GF%. And what about guys he acquired to replace these non-stat darlings Speezza 5-5 GF % 49.10%, Kerfoot 46.38%

Gardiner 61.46%
Johnsson 61.18%
Marner 59.85%
Tavares 59.71%
Lindholm 57.50%
Hainsey 56.39%
Kadri 52.86%

Matthews 48.76%

Does GF% have predictive value year to year? Can you show me how it does?

Reactions: stopclickbait

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Glad to see you back Zeke.

giphy.gif

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Another question if mine would be: is it safe to say that Don Waddell was "lowballing" Aho because he refused to pay him a number relative to the vastly increased league scoring? My guess was he was negotiating extremely hard for that $7-8M dollar range but got ****ed over by the Habs offer-sheet and had to bite. And that's the funny thing, in the standards of debate over here, $8.5 is a pretty god damn good number for Aho.

You could probably slide Carolina in as another team who refuses to pay extra for this crazy increase in league scoring. They did well for themselves on the Teravainen contract as well.

It should have been flagged by Management and addressed at a board of governors meeting. The teams should have all been alerted and stood firm together to not rock the boat. Perhaps the league isn't very good that way or some GMs felt that the knowledge was an asset and that some teams would get into cap trouble. The upside to such teams in the know is getting cheap talent when cap runs out. It's hard to say, would be interesting to be a fly on the wall.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
giphy.gif

We are done here.... let’s wrap this one up and move on to whatever thread # we are on

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Gardiner 61.46%
Johnsson 61.18%
Marner 59.85%
Tavares 59.71%
Lindholm 57.50%
Hainsey 56.39%
Kadri 52.86%

Matthews 48.76%

What’s Kadri’s GF% when watching from the press box?

Reactions: Martin Skoula

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

We'll see.

I noticed all the space he's able to make for himself. He really knows how to use his size and speed to give himself room to make plays.

Whether or not he can make any plays in the NHL, we'll see.

And welcome back, zeke.

Reactions: zeke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad